• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To lift or not to lift

clean96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a stock 96 4.0 5 speed XJ with 36k on odo. I had to upgrade the tires/wheels. Advised that 30 x9.5 would fit without a lift. I went ahead a purchased some chapparals. Great tire but the front and back tires are rubbing the flares. How much trimming do I need to do to get enough clearence to travel a decent amount? The back hits much more than the front. Or should I bit the bullet and get the 2-3" lift with t- drop and such? Thanks

For the 2" lift, should I go with blocks/spaces to preserve the ride? Or stiffer coils and add-a-leaf? I have not heard much saying spacers are good to use. I can't seem to find any non-spacer 2" lifts. Any ideas?

clean96XJ said:
For the 2" lift, should I go with blocks/spaces to preserve the ride? Or stiffer coils and add-a-leaf? I have not heard much saying spacers are good to use. I can't seem to find any non-spacer 2" lifts. Any ideas?

2" spacers and add a leafs or longer shackles should work fine. Depends on what you want to do. You could always upgrade to a 3" kit with springs and an add a leaf or new rear spring packs. That'd give you the option of running 31's.

With 31s, I have to start thinking about regearing.
With the stock flairs, how much clearance can I gain without having to weld? I would hope to gain 3-4 inches. Is that realistic?

clean96XJ said:
With 31s, I have to start thinking about regearing.
With the stock flairs, how much clearance can I gain without having to weld? I would hope to gain 3-4 inches. Is that realistic?

You don't have to weld anything when you trim :D Just set a plan and get to it. It all depends how you plan things out and if you make sure not to trim too much.

clean96XJ said:

OME 930 coils, JC1B leaves, N35 & N36 shocks = 2" lift & better ride than stock.
Mike B.

Back