• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire report; BFG AT

Here in snow country, I've had BFG All terains old style on a Toy truck. In hard packed snow, ice they did ok. It was the 3 to 6 inch snow they did very poorly. Imediately pack up and turn into slicks. On the Cherokee I've also had the mud terains, siped and they did pretty well, real good in the deep stuff. Best all round tire though IMHO is the Goodyear MTR's. Did real well in all but the real deep powder.

To the original poster, try siping the tires. Just the inside lugs. You can pay to have it done professionally or do it yourself with a razor blade. I did mine myself with a razor blade and it made a world of difference. You're supposed to get more miles on siped tires too cause the rubber compound doesn't heat up as much while you're driving. When using a razor blade utility knife, you can set the depth of the cut, and just space them 1/4-1/2" apart. It's much, much easier to sipe them if they're warm, so if you're going to do it yourself, leave the tires in the house for a couple hours before cutting them.

i like my bridgestone dueler A/t revos much better than my old BFG A/ts....

I Live in colorado and had 31" bfg at/s on it and they were horrible in the snow or and other kind of slick surfaces. However the do Very well on rock/slickrock. I put my brothers 31" goodyear wrangler MT/Rs on it right after a huge snow storm and I was going through 3 to 4 foot constant drifts. The MT/Rs will float for a while if you get enough wheelspin. As far as street and any other terrain, SICK performance All round.

I've got BFG-AT KO 235s on my 93 ZJ, and 32s on my 89 MJ. They work on the ZJ and moderately well on the MJ, considering how butt-light it is for big tires. They do tend to load up in sticky snow and mud.

I put a set of BFGs on a Suburban 2500 and hated them. They road like crap and had poor traction on wet , icy, or snowy roads. I've since sold the Suburban. On my wifes daily-driver Nissan frontier I put a set of Bridgestone Revo ATs to replace the stock so-so Generals. They Revos were less expensive than the BFGs, had slightly better reviews, and they've been pretty decent in the winter mix we get.

That's unfortunate, I have them in a 225/75 flavor and have been blazin trail in fields, bumper deep and driving them on UP michigan roads in below zero temps, love the tire. Mine are siped so that helps, but I was told not to sipe them because they are chunked now and vibe a little. but great in the white stuff if you ask me, most everyone in the family runs em.

You guys still have to remember... passenger cars are front wheel drive, much more aerodynamic, and MUCH lower to the ground. So of course around corners it will outperform an XJ.

hey i had pirelli str's (also a severe weather rated tire) which perform terrific in snow but i disliked the feel of them on a full size 4x, laterally on the winter highway in canada, and i thought id get a upgrade so i got AT-ko's and they were better, albeit not by very much, in snow, and i wish i had gone for a full set of studded tires instead. i'll say this though, they were WAY better in mud, and they didnt toss gravel as bad after driving on dirt roads.

Last edited:
Get the BFG AT's siped. I am extremely picky about driving in the snow, and mine work great.

Fred

I live in Iowa and have been very happy with my 31x10.50 BFG A/Ts for 3 winters now. I think they do great in snow, I very rarely have trouble on anything except pure sheet ice. I think they are a great overall tire for the money. Again though, different circumstances for every person and to each their own.

There seems to be a lot of commentary on this! That's good.
Siped may help inclimate road performance. I'll look into it. Lowering the air pressure is not a consideration as this is a daily driver and it transitions from snow, ice and dry highway roads.
I'm giving serious consideration to replacing the AT with MT.
As for the front wheel drive & aerodynamic passenger car note; I spun out at an intersection at 5 to 10 miles an hour on a 90 deg turn, full tank of fuel. Afterwards, I went into 4x4 and repeated the event several minutes later at another intersection. Oh yes, the cars were rear wheel drive. Very embarrassing.
BFG AT's stink.

My bfg at's are snow rated and Ive never had a problem with them. I run them at 26-28 psi on the street. They have been great in snow and rain. THey ride well when its dry, not to noisy and they wear pretty well. They peform well when I go wheeling too. I'm not a big mud guy or rock climbing guy. They do clog up easy in the mud. THe trails by me in northern NJ arent very rocky or muddy though. Just some spots here and there nothing the tires haven't been able to get me through.

viperbaron said:
There seems to be a lot of commentary on this! That's good.
Siped may help inclimate road performance. I'll look into it. Lowering the air pressure is not a consideration as this is a daily driver and it transitions from snow, ice and dry highway roads.
I'm giving serious consideration to replacing the AT with MT.
As for the front wheel drive & aerodynamic passenger car note; I spun out at an intersection at 5 to 10 miles an hour on a 90 deg turn, full tank of fuel. Afterwards, I went into 4x4 and repeated the event several minutes later at another intersection. Oh yes, the cars were rear wheel drive. Very embarrassing.
BFG AT's stink.

If your not getting good road traction with AT's how would MT's improve things?

If its rwd, awd or fwd or 4wd if the roads are crap the roads are crap. Whats needed is less skinny pedal when you start rolling. My buddies Jetta with snow/ice tires is fantastic on the road. Heavy diesel over the fwd tires and it handles like its on rails, but getting it started can be trouble cuz its a torquey little bugar and you have to feather it to get moving without spinning.
I haven't had a problem getting started with my XJ in 2wd, as I know I can't gas it to get moving. You have to let it roll, and apply gas as needed to get momentum.
Doesn't matter how many tires you have in contact, we have 8wd armoured vehicles at work that will sit in one spot and spin on ice, heck even tanks will not move if you don't have traction. If siped AT's aren't doing it for you, I can't see how MT's will help any.

viperbaron said:
These BFG AT's are disapointing. Now I'll have to find another set of tires, because these BFG's are pathetic.
Slip & slid, slip & slid...:thumbsdown: BFG AT
I agree 100%, I thought they sucked as well (during the snow season). This year I went to a dedicated snow tire. Look out on Craigslist, places like that and look for cheap rims (I got some free :) ) and throw on some snow tires. Best of both worlds. I love the BFG's for the rest of the year.

Just something to consider.

DanMan2k06 said:
You guys still have to remember... passenger cars are front wheel drive, much more aerodynamic, and MUCH lower to the ground. So of course around corners it will outperform an XJ.

dude, were talking about driving in the snow around corners... aerodynamics doesn't play much into this.

Oh, and some of the best handling cars are RWD: BMW M3?

one set of BFG ATs, good performers.
one set of wrangler MTRs, very good but wore out fast. pretty soft compound.
another set of BFG ATs. liked em.
Just got a fresh set of BFG ATs on friday. they work quite well in the snow. even went down to the Westcliffe area and goofed around with them. i was pretty scared i would get stuck but made it without any drama or even much power application.
my suspicion is OP needs to work on technique.

I have 32x11.5 bfg at ko's and love them. Never spun out, and have only been stuck once in deep snow.
Looking to go to 33x10.5 at ko's. Anyone have pics of the 33x10.5s on some 9" wide rims? (rear and side view)

I have a XJ with 30x9.5 BFG A/T KO's and I would consider them a good tire in the ice and snow, they have the snowflake mark on the tire. I have another XJ with 265/70-16's "30.7 X 10.4" Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's, they do better than my BFG A/T's in the snow and ice but don't have the snowflake mark on the tire. I feel safer and have more control with the Dueler A/T Revo's but neither of these tires compare to a dedicated snow/ice tire.

yes i agree they are a good studless snow tire, what the rating means though is that they perform relatively better than a set tire in the industry segment. in bc we get snow, then above freezing, then below freezing and sheet ice is a common occurnce, i like having 2 sets, one with studs, but i do understand the need for one tire to do in most situations, there are new "all-weather" tires being produced now, that claim they'll give all the benefits of studless winter tires with the year round usability of allseasons.i have not used any of these tires, so i cant recommend or dis. but i have yet to see one that comes close to any type of "agressive" design, and even if you have a awd vehicle and studless winter tires, if you get stuck on a sideways slope that has sheet ice on it, you limited slips'll end up driving you sideways, when youre attempting to go straight.

Back