• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread aka North America Home Owners Association Thread

I believe it is of the 1999 vintage but I cannot be sure, perhaps I will have to refer to my owner's manual. Can someone please walk me through the process?

giving up on searching for a truck, really looking a 6.0 GTO's and 5.0 Mustangs

giving up on searching for a truck, really looking a 6.0 GTO's and 5.0 Mustangs

Seems like the least logical thing to do, but wait, if you're retarded maybe it's the most logical?

Seems like the least logical thing to do, but wait, if you're retarded maybe it's the most logical?

way better then buyng a truck and not affording a trailer

my dad's 5.0 is pretty sweet to drive. he got an '11 GT with 20k miles for around 24k. lowered it with a CAI and flowmasters. It flies

**** new trucks, hell anything then Colin's is junk to me. About the only newer truck I would ever be interested in would be the unicorn LBZ/ZF6 Chevy, perferably a reg cab or like Bill's. Older diesels are just so much simpler and less things to fail. Parts are dirt cheap and none of those dang electronics to replace.

What happens when they all rot out in another 5 years?

x2. great idea.

Of all people looking at getting a new truck, I can't believe that its Bill. He's the last person Id think would want to part ways with anything "old and still works great." IMHO.. keep your truck and run it into the ground. Getting it stripped and rust-proofed is way cheaper than a new truck, and yours will go to 500k. And getting a new diesel is stupid unless you'll be maxing out a 1/2 ton truck 3 out of 5 days a week. My buddy's 2011 1500 Ram gets 24 mpg highway and can tow pretty damn well. It has bigger brakes than any 1 ton truck more than a few years old too.

I agree with Adam, unless you really NEED a heavy duty diesel truck for work it's pretty pointless to own one. There's no reason you couldn't tow a Jeep a few times a year with a gas job 1/2 ton, sure it won't hold 80 up the hills in PA but who cares. My aunts truck with the 5.4 towed down to Rausch just fine, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

The body on mine is slowly rotting, but the frame is still beautiful. Which is surprising considering how much I drive year round (aka salt sucks). I bought patch panels for $100 and a new passenger side door for another $200. Going to be doing the body work at some point with Nick. Not a huge rush as it's now winter.

Of all people looking at getting a new truck, I can't believe that its Bill. He's the last person Id think would want to part ways with anything "old and still works great." IMHO.. keep your truck and run it into the ground. Getting it stripped and rust-proofed is way cheaper than a new truck, and yours will go to 500k. And getting a new diesel is stupid unless you'll be maxing out a 1/2 ton truck 3 out of 5 days a week. My buddy's 2011 1500 Ram gets 24 mpg highway and can tow pretty damn well. It has bigger brakes than any 1 ton truck more than a few years old too.

I think Bill was just daydreaming, not actually looking hard at getting one.

I like the idea of a 3/4 ton, as I wouldn't want to put a plow on the front of a 1/2 ton. That's about it. I'm sure a 1/2 ton would tow my jeep/trailer just fine (pretty much the heaviest load I'd need to pull) and would handle any house projects I'd need to do, but a plow would ruin the front end quick I'd imagine.

Are the 1/2 tons that much cheaper than a 3/4 ton? If not, it's not worth the downsizing to me. I agree about the rustproofing though. My old XJ had some form of undercoating underneath the entire thing and it was in great shape for a '92, especially considering it came from the cape.

I agree with Adam, unless you really NEED a heavy duty diesel truck for work it's pretty pointless to own one. There's no reason you couldn't tow a Jeep a few times a year with a gas job 1/2 ton, sure it won't hold 80 up the hills in PA but who cares. My aunts truck with the 5.4 towed down to Rausch just fine, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I'm usually the slowest guy towing down to Rausch with my measly 235/425, not to mention I'm betting my trailer/jeep setup weighs the most out of our group.

I just let the thing eat to 80 mph downhill so I can end up at ~55-60 at the top of the hill.

But I agree with you. I always get there without a problem (knock on wood) and am way to nervous to slap turbos/injectors/tuners on the thing.

The body on mine is slowly rotting, but the frame is still beautiful. Which is surprising considering how much I drive year round (aka salt sucks). I bought patch panels for $100 and a new passenger side door for another $200. Going to be doing the body work at some point with Nick. Not a huge rush as it's now winter.

I like the idea of a 3/4 ton, as I wouldn't want to put a plow on the front of a 1/2 ton. That's about it. I'm sure a 1/2 ton would tow my jeep/trailer just fine (pretty much the heaviest load I'd need to pull) and would handle any house projects I'd need to do, but a plow would ruin the front end quick I'd imagine.

Are the 1/2 tons that much cheaper than a 3/4 ton? If not, it's not worth the downsizing to me. I agree about the rustproofing though. My old XJ had some form of undercoating underneath the entire thing and it was in great shape for a '92, especially considering it came from the cape.

I wouldn't push anyone away who works their truck often (like Bill) from a 3/4 ton. Just away from a diesel. they aren't necessary anymore, and the emissions crap is making them far more unreliable than their gas counterparts.

I'm usually the slowest guy towing down to Rausch with my measly 235/425, not to mention I'm betting my trailer/jeep setup weighs the most out of our group.

I just let the thing eat to 80 mph downhill so I can end up at ~55-60 at the top of the hill.

2015 Ram 1500: 395/410 & 10,320 max tow
2015 Chevy 1500: 355/383 & 10,900 max tow w/ the 5.4, 420/460 & 11,800 max tow with the 6.2.

Both are rated for 20+ MPG highway. These things are rocketships compared to the stock 24V you're used to.

When I was looking a crew cab 1500 Hemi with the 8 speed was about 32 or 33 out the door, I bought mine for not much more than that, but again what I bought wasn't a sought after model.

The new 1500 Dodge's drive like a dream and get dam good mileage. The 2013 up 3500's and 2014 up 2500/3500's have a radius arm front suspension and rear coils, haven't driven one to see if its a better ride.

Yeah even if I wanted to I couldn't afford a new truck at the moment anyway. I plan on keeping my truck around for a long while.

If I was looking, I'd probably go for a 5.7/6.4 3/4 ton Dodge. Base model or whatever I could get cheap out the door.

If I could get a truck like Nick's for similar price then I'd go for that, only because I'd really want a stick.

In a better world, I'd be comparing the new Colorado against the new Tacoma coming out in January. I'm slightly above 30 grand on either of those, because I'd be getting the Z71/TRD whatever loaded model. I'm going to drive my Rover until it blows up... which is hopefully later rather than sooner.

x2. great idea.

It was a daydream for about 23 minutes. I had not been keeping up with the new trucks and I figured they'd have the emissions stuff sorted out now. Haha.
I wouldn't push anyone away who works their truck often (like Bill) from a 3/4 ton. Just away from a diesel. they aren't necessary anymore, and the emissions crap is making them far more unreliable than their gas counterparts.

2015 Ram 1500: 395/410 & 10,320 max tow
2015 Chevy 1500: 355/383 & 10,900 max tow w/ the 5.4, 420/460 & 11,800 max tow with the 6.2.

Both are rated for 20+ MPG highway. These things are rocketships compared to the stock 24V you're used to.
Spoken like an anti that doesn't understand. :moon:

There is a HUGE difference towing that weight with a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton. Been there. The 1/2 ton tows fine until you tow with a 3/4 ton.
Plus with my tractor, trailer and an implement I am right at 10k-11k. Way heavier than my Jeep. Honestly my Jeep sees less trailer time than anything else. :laugh:

I'll never own another 1/2 ton truck simply because even if I only did tow 5 times a year that 5 times would be safer and more stable behind a 3/4 ton.

Even towing an empty trailer there is a difference, you don't notice 2k lbs behind something with 660 ft lbs but you do with 380. Or that same 2k lbs on the suspension they soften up for soccer dads on the 1/2 ton.

As far as the gas versus diesel thing, well we'll cross that bridge when I have to; but if I have the means I am sure not even going to look hard at the gas jobs. As stated most of the up front cost can be gained back during a trade. Plus it is just so nice to be able to merge onto the freeway or pass someone and know the power is there.

Or look at it this way; better fuel efficiency of the diesel means less fuel burned and more Eco-nazis happy. Unless you are Ross then all bets are off.

Again I don't really need to defend this anyway. I don't have the means for the payment or the want to deal with the BS of going to the dealer for DEF, regen, exhaust, ect issues.

I totally hear you Bill. If I had the equipment you have, I wouldn't ever look at a 1/2 ton. I don't think I'll ever own a tractor or anything though.

I think I just have low standards.

I come from a family that towed shit and plowed with a 1/2 ton SWB Ramcharger with a smogged out 440 in it :laugh:.

On another topic. Travis ditched me and a make out session last night to go buy himself something. Boys! :gonnablow

Back