• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The "Jeeper Sleeper" - XJ Camper Conversion

I'm going to take a slightly critical approach to this, although I completely support your plans: You're making too much work for yourself. As someone who has spent a week or two at a time in the mountains and desert backcountry with wife and sometimes dog, I recommend overbuilding and having less "stuff".

In my opinion, and this is all it is, if you used thicker wood (2x4, 1/2' or 3/4' plywood, etc) you would be saving yourself some work. All that effort put into the slats and redoing them, when you could have just had a cleat running down each side of a 2x4, and laid [thicker] slats onto that. Use thicker wood and less of it: less shit = less stuff to break or maintain. I wonder after a month of use and weight your platform will bow. It doesn't have to be super flexy, you should have air pads/mattresses (which ever packs down more efficiently?) for that. The more it flexes, the more the wood is going to move and stress against the hardware.

forget curtains, just tint the windows. Do you really want to be messing around with something that is going to be moving around, making noise, getting in the way, and just something else that you just have to manage?

Couldn't tell too well, but you might want to consider new rear leafs or an AAL. You'll have a lot of weight back there, it might be smart to be proactive about it.

Grab an onboard power inverter, and don't forget a place for a spare- get that doughnut out of there.

I think you'll regret not making your platform higher for more storage, even by another 6". Seriously, it's not like you're trapped in there, get out and stretch, and it will make room for storage containers to organize all your junk in. If this is already a point of friction -before living in the XJ together for a month- then give your lady some more storage. It's not a bad decision, and if it makes her happier it's going to make you happier- trust me.

I have a full spare. Some XJs were ordered with it and got a factory cover. I always roll with a full spare.

Back windows are tinted, but not fronts, and I don't want those tinted. Had that on my '92. Didn't care for it. But that's a personal preference, or I'd do just that. So my curtains will be put up only when in use (still working on that design), because I thought about that as well. I really don't want them in the way of our view while driving, either.

As for the springs, I think they're OK. A bit aged, but not looking too tired. We're keeping our weight light for that reason. I'm out of work, on a budget, and rolling the dice since they look OK. (If I were working right now, I'd have no time for this project or this trip!)

Inverter-wise, we have an RV type that I could wire in. Very heavy, and too permanent for me. I will use the cigarette lighter one when needed, but minimize that type of thing, anyway. We want to be away from that stuff, as it is.

I think it may bow, over time, you might be right. We'll see. It can only really bow in the middle section, though. I made sure of that. But I wanted lighter lumber. Hopefully I don't regret that. There won't be an air mattress, most likely, just foam egg-crate bedrolls.

But I don't fully disagree with you, on anything. I mean, it's mostly my preference, and much of what you said I considered beforehand. And, yeah, I did create a challenge... I figure, anyone who disagrees--you--just helps the next guy who sees this decide how he wants to do it. This is just to say why I didn't.

Last edited:
I'd add at least one full length add a leaf, either aftermarket or another xj main leaf with the eyes cut off. Don't go with 'OK' leafs. You'll regret it. It's not hard to find leaf packs on here or Craigslist for super cheap or free. It's a peace if mind

Also take the advice from this site, there are many who have done this style living out of fun or neccissity. If needed get a harbor freight inverter. You can normally get one that 400watts for about $20. Cheap insurance for power stuff.
Also egg crate bedrolls won't last long, you're gonna want to get more than just that. Firmer memory foam can be had at Fred Meyers for about $20 also or a air mattress.
I did the same as you and did egg crate bedrolls and after 3days I was sick of it. Bought a full size air mattress and won't go back lol

I'd add at least one full length add a leaf, either aftermarket or another xj main leaf with the eyes cut off. Don't go with 'OK' leafs. You'll regret it. It's not hard to find leaf packs on here or Craigslist for super cheap or free. It's a peace if mind

Also take the advice from this site, there are many who have done this style living out of fun or neccissity. If needed get a harbor freight inverter. You can normally get one that 400watts for about $20. Cheap insurance for power stuff.
Also egg crate bedrolls won't last long, you're gonna want to get more than just that. Firmer memory foam can be had at Fred Meyers for about $20 also or a air mattress.
I did the same as you and did egg crate bedrolls and after 3days I was sick of it. Bought a full size air mattress and won't go back lol

I agree with much of what you said. If not OP, OP's girlfriend will tire of eggcrate rolls VERY quickly, especially on solid wood. If you're still going to do that, put some carpet down or something else to help insulate and cusion. Seriously, get an air mattress. You're doing this with someone else, you can't be selfish and only consider your bare needs, you need to consider her's too and realize they probably exceed yours, or else you may not come home to a relationship. Not trying to give you shit, not trying to preach, but I've learned these things the hard way, you're going to have to compromise between what you both want. And storage- again, she's going to have more junk than you will, and it will SPREAD ALL. OVER. THE. PLACE. Give her a place to contain it.

Add a leaf. OK springs will not last with continual weight back there for a month no matter how light you make it.

Less but beefier wood > more and lighter wood. Less to break, less to manage, structurally stronger.

I'm glad you have a fullsize spare OP, but you should find a way to get it out of the back and somewhere else to open up space since you'll be living back there for a month.

Are you only putting curtains on the front windows? I dont blame you for not wanting tint up front, I'm not a huge fan of anything over 10%. If you're looking for curtains in the back, consider something that does double duty, like a fabric shoe rack that hangs over a door. You have curtains AND storage.

No apologies needed. I do not think you're giving me sh*t. Hopefully you don't take it personally if I disagree with you, either. (God Bless America!)

The interior ply is smooth sanded underlay; used it for that reason. Yes, I know, I have a bit of sanding to do (probably leaving it for the end, may let her make that her contribution to the project, since she does that by trade, anyway). In fact, she's kind of a tomboy, so I'm safer in most of these decisions than you think.

The bedrolls were actually her idea; I liked it for the weight and ease of use. But Demonoid says when he tried it long term, he didn't like it. Reallly had thought that bedrolls plus flexible platform equaled sufficient comfort. So we will probably go with an air mattress. I have three. I just hate them. Very much.

I really like your idea for shoebags, Fallacist, and I've been saying all along that I want everything serving more than one function or it doesn't make the trip, so that suggestion I truly like. I'm also turning that weird cavity on the passenger side into a bin. In spite of the tints, she wants curtains in addition. I had pointed out initially that I had tints, but she was uncomfortable with just relying on those, so I ceded to that as well. Instead of curtains in the front, I'm going to make something that will drape across the cabin behind the front seats, and just cut off the cockpit area and not go too crazy. Probably will somehow use the O.S. handles in all this, as a way to put up and take down quickly, but I haven't designed it out yet. And once the shoebags are in place, she can have them to herself. I don't really carry much when I travel. Now and then she gets girly on me, but I think the shoebags are a fair enough compromise.

I'm actually keeping the spare right where it is. It's right where I want it, although I appreciate your point.

Springs, I'm starting to consider. You guys are starting to worry me. I was pretty confident in them before. When I said they looked OK, I meant absolutely fine. The whole truck only has 71k on it, and only about 12k on rear shocks...

As for the structure, it's surprisingly strong and lightweight and flexible. I usually do overbuild. If it were a deck, I'd agree, and overbuild the hell out of it. I'm keeping that as-is. In fact, today I added legs at the front and they gave it a lot of rigidity. Take a look below. The one in the center appears in the pic to touch the hump, but it just barely does. There is about 1/8" travel to it so that the platform/hatches can flex but not crack. I have not yet put in place the longitudinal brace I'm making up to support the hatches in the center, so you're not looking at the finished product.

Last edited:
Actually, though, here's something maybe you guys can answer...

I temporarily (to test) wired up the three LED spots that are going on my roof (six diodes apiece), no idea what they pull--not a thing with them to say. I hooked them up to a cigarette lighter adapter with an on-off switch.

My question is not whether you guys would hook them up this way (I know, you wouldn't, but I want them off the truck without a trace after this trip).

My question is about voltage fluctuation. I hooked them up with no fuse, and they lit up while the engine idled, all good. But do I need to worry about power increasing during acceleration? Should I add a fuse holder? If so, what size? The lights have 18-gauge wires, and the cigarette lighter something even lighter that I don't think is even a specific gauge. Something around 20. Thoughts?

FYI someone put me onto this company during the course of this project.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

They don't have anything I can't go get at the hardware store, but if you live in a more remote place or something, maybe it's handy...

And, no Demonoid, there's nothing free here, it's NY...ha!

My brother in law wired up a couple led spot light and attached them to his roof rack on his land cruiser just like you are talking about. The cigarette lighter adapter actually had a switch on it.

The plug will have a fuse for it already so there really isn't a need for another one.

Look in your manual. Or on the panel that covers the fuses. Then you can even find out which fuse it is.

Look in your manual. Or on the panel that covers the fuses. Then you can even find out which fuse it is.

Thought you were referring to the glass fuse in the plug itself; that's what I was talking about. That should prevent any trouble right there, since hopefully in China they put the right fuse for that light-gauge wiring...

in the fuse panel on the bottom left of the dash (driver side) there should be a 10amp cigarette lighter fuse. That is what everyone is talking about.

An observation I have noticed. You bring a build thread here meaning you want to show what you're working on as well at constructive critique on your skill and plan. Yet, you show no regard for this advice people have been giving you. Almost like you know better.

Like I said, observation. I can be wrong.

in the fuse panel on the bottom left of the dash (driver side) there should be a 10amp cigarette lighter fuse. That is what everyone is talking about.

An observation I have noticed. You bring a build thread here meaning you want to show what you're working on as well at constructive critique on your skill and plan. Yet, you show no regard for this advice people have been giving you. Almost like you know better.

Like I said, observation. I can be wrong.

I understand there's fuses in fuse boxes built into the truck. I'm not sure why anyone thought I was asking about those... My question was whether I need additional at lower amperage after my cigarette outlet; maybe I didn't make that clear. (If I knew better, I wouldn't ask.)

And, dude, if I do every single thing someone else suggests, this won't even be close to what I wanted. So I may not, and it's my truck, so it is sort of moot. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the suggestions. And some I have liked. Many, I considered before I started and decided against already. Not sure why people are taking it personally if I don't use their ideas. Sort of odd to me that that'd bother anybody.

As an alternative to the curtains, get an rv windshield covet.

Back