• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Flesh It Burns

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I forgot to shut my eyes while tacking some parts together yesterday( for a fraction of a second) and I burned the sheet out of my eye! Anyone ever have this happen or have any home remedys to help it heel!

It hurts like helllllllllllllllll

The first time I had flash burns, my dad gave me one of his allergy pills. I don't know what it was, but I was drifting off to sleep 15 minutes after I took it.

That aside, a darkened room, cold wash cloth, and it should heal itself in 24 hours.

BTW, I had a coworker get flash burns through his eyelids. Had he been wearing industry standard safety glasses, the UVs and IRs would have been blocked.

Yea I ussually wear safety glass even under my helmet and I always turn my head when tacking as well, but I don't know guess I had a brain fart! Sucks ass to say the least!

Just left the ER and after some fancy work with a needle and a mini drimel he said it was metal shaving!

Yippee for Percocet maybe j can get some sleep now! Lol.

Gonna have to get done better glasses that fit my fat head better I guess!

Lol yea seems to go right around glasses! Imma use plastic wrap and duct from now on

Goggles...

I've had stuff bounce around and get in my eyes. So far, I have been able to flush the debris with an eye wash.

Good job on getting that dealt with, JD.

I had a piece of metal in my eye for 2 days, Had to get it and the rust cut out.

Went out and bought a pair of tightly wrapping safety glasses and when I'm in the shop they are on the whole time

Well it don't hurt nk more Percocet is a wonderful thing! Haha yup some good goggles are in the works!

Just left the ER and after some fancy work with a needle and a mini drimel he said it was metal shaving!

Yippee for Percocet maybe j can get some sleep now! Lol.

Gonna have to get done better glasses that fit my fat head better I guess!

Had the exact same work done last November I was grinding rust off to prep for welds and some got on the bill of my hat ,and I feel asleep on the couch when i came inside and some of that rust dust got in while sleeping , and when I woke up I had the red eye , which a one time flash or two is not going to get your eyes so irritated they are blood shot like you had burst a blood vessel , I went to the eye doctor at wally world vision center he pulled out the same dremmel and drilled out the cornea where the metal was . I learned something I did not know about metal rust and eyes ,which is RUST basicly disolves your cornera so in addition to it scratching it if you wait for it exit the damage the damage will be worse than just the scuffing I was lucky as where he drilled is off to side in corner pocket and not in my line of sight ...lol...IO never work without glasses if I am using the skinny cut-off wheel I use a full face shield as they sometimes come apart which would rip you face apart wherever not covered . I haver flashed myself a few times due to auto darkening and switching to grind and going back to welding and flash mysel ,but even the grind setting has some mild shade to it .

Oh by the way the trip to the Vision center cost a whopping $35 bucks with eyedrops for antibiotic and ones to take the irritation away ...lol...I'm curious what this cost you at the ER ...I'm thinking more than $35 all inclusive ?

Oh one piece of advice if you don't do this already get ear plugs or atleast put some wadded up paper towel in your ears when welding especially overhead but slag can get in there even when not doing overhead , and there is nothing worse than having slag fly into your ear canal making that sizzle and you can do nothing other than swear ...lol...I've seen folks do it bad enough where they burned through their sinus cavity .

Good reminder about the hat!

I knew one guy who went home, pulled off his hoodie, and got grit in his eye. I have bought zippered hoodies ever since.

One of our other shops had an incident where a guy stored his welding hood on its face, back side open to all kinds of debris. When he put the hood on, all the grit it had collected was on his face and in his eyes.

This is a hell of a thing, JD! I'm starting my vacation with a safety meeting. :soapbox:

Oh one piece of advice if you don't do this already get ear plugs or atleast put some wadded up paper towel in your ears when welding especially overhead but slag can get in there even when not doing overhead , and there is nothing worse than having slag fly into your ear canal making that sizzle and you can do nothing other than swear ...lol...I've seen folks do it bad enough where they burned through their sinus cavity .
Ahhh yes the unmistakable sizzle of the burning inner ear. First thought is shite, what's that, then oh crap that hurts and lastly is a prayer of, "Dear God, please don't let me go deaf."

Yea I use ear plugs too, and usually glasses and or mask, will def be religious about it now, we have really good insurance. No ER co pays and $2 at the doc per trip, and $5 rx. Ive been to the eye doc 3 times this week, I guess it was hot and burned in nice and deep, so he can only take a little at a time, or it'll scar really bad and blurr my vision! So he takes a little we let it heal a day then(about the time it get feeling better) go back in and take more! Opens it up and starts all over! I'm soo ****ing tires of it I can't stand it anymore! Missed a whole week of work and now I've got customers wondering where their bumpers ect are and I can't do a damn thing but tell em to wait longer! Ugggggg what a week!

Jack and perk, FTW BTW! Lol

Damn JD!!!

I have heard only one worse story:
Guy got a sliver, said he'd tough it out. Pain got so bad he couldn't take it anymore. The doctors said the infection was so bad, they could not save the eye. Tough guy wears an eye patch.

DON'T BE A TOUGH GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, ZERO tough guy stuff here, it Hurts and I'm fine admitting that I'm a big old girl when when it comes to pain

Well, you're big, I'll give you that. The girl part kind of scares me. :)

Back