• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The argument AGAINST an upgraded tie rod

Lol i just saw that. Should have been break. Damnit . Im a tard

There are maybe 5 people on NAXJA who have broken a knuckle. I've done it twice. I can tell you first hand how not easy it is. ;)

I'd bet 10 people a week bend stock tie rods.

I guess I'm trying to say, don't listen to your buddy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. Sometimes people offer advice like that to feel better about being too cheap to upgrade.
You also rolled on a fire road.

hey that happens.

All I hear is that upgrading to zj steering allows you to find flaws in your steering that require upgrading. Beefier box ftw

Do a plate in place of the aluminum spacer when you do a box. Eventually you'll rip the frame rail. I'm running a stock box that has been ported along with a 1.5" ram, no steering issues and my frame rail is intact. Oh, WJ conversion with 1 ton ends.

I'll add this:

ZJ steering - good
beefed up aftermarket tie rods that use stock xj rod ends - bad

I'll add this:

ZJ steering - good
beefed up aftermarket tie rods that use stock xj rod ends - bad

aren't they the same tie rod ends?

I'm not a fan of solid steering like the V8 ZJ tie rod. when they bend they suck to pull the bend out because it won't bend back in the same location so you'll end up with the tie rod in the shape of an S (but it's still stronger than the stock thin hollow rod)

I like DOM made steering. I use 1.5"x.25" DOM for mine. Its plenty strong.

aren't they the same tie rod ends? I'm not a fan of solid steering like the V8 ZJ tie rod. when they bend they suck to pull the bend out because it won't bend back in the same location so you'll end up with the tie rod in the shape of an S (but it's still stronger than the stock thin hollow rod) I like DOM made steering. I use 1.5"x.25" DOM for mine. Its plenty strong.

No. The V8 ZJ TRE's are larger.

4x4 fuses are great in theory...

You can't really choose when they fail is the problem...

say you have a fatigued tie rod and in the middle of a trail decide to drop in to 2wd and bounce over some higher speed things... and when you land hard it taco's at some speed... Or you get back on the highway and knocked a wheel weight off, well when you hit a bump at 65 mph and that death wobble starts do you want your "fuse" to add to the white knuckle ride?

I guess this is a little bit of a stretch, my original thing was weak drive shafts as fuses, easy to carry a spare, easy to swap on out on the trail, but if it twists when you are climbing a steep hill... (of course I do carry a spare DS that fits front and rear and all 4 spare TRE's I have ruff stuff DOM steering on a d60 though...)

There is truth to increasing the strength of one part and then the next part fails, but instead of giving up make the next part stronger, also be sure to actually replace your parts before they fail, it sucks wheeling with people that wait for stuff to fail, I would rather be wheeling than running back to town to get someone a TRE.

Nathan
99 xj with pretty much everything
build thread
https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

Back