• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taking Hinkley's advice

I thought I heard something about a place that does V8 conversions for PT Cruisers? This was the onlyu thing I could FIND.

-Mike

A Skyline GT-R was stolen out of a import tuner shop here in Indy a few months ago. I think it was an R33. Shop owner had over $100,000 in the car including several one-off parts including a custom casted intake manifold and others. As far as I know it's never been recovered.

It sounded like an inside job since the transmission was out of the car and sitting on a rack with several other transmissions. The thief broke in (no forced entry), loaded the car in a truck/trailer, picked the right transmission and all the other pertinent parts, and made a clean getaway.

Last edited:
XJawgi said:
k5=chevy....xj=non rice... im not trying to start anything im just stating you can build 20 "performance" that would keep up with the $95000 car. I consider anything foreign "rice"....but you can blame it on my old man for raising me as a chebby man...
So...with the XJ being a co-venture with Renault...does your whole world fall apart, or the fact that DC is ....um...German?

Fergie

OR somebody could build an xj like this (i really, really need to win the lottery):

-2" drop/suspension.
cut eibach GC coils(front), progressive bastard rear leaf packs, aftermarket(adjustable) swaybars., bilstein race shocks, control arms boxed in and johnny joints only on frame side of only the lca's, slightly raked castor in front, antiwrap setup in rear, poly bushings all around( in motor, trans, mounts, too).

-cage/chassis.
tied into unibody all over, tied into "frame" and suspension mounts, shocks thru the floor and tied into cage.

-drivetrain/steering.
mustang 8.8 rear w/ l.s., trussed front hp30 w/ aftermarket shafts, 242HD transfer case, 5 speed, steering box from camaro with corvette handeling package(bolt on quick ratio box), offset balljoints, aftermarket mustang wheels, 3.73 gears.

-now the motor:
4.8 stroker, square bore/stroke with all arp bolts, deisel motor jackets, hesco head, custom turbo setup w/ isky's lumpy turbo cam, roller rockers, dry sump w/ a rx7 oil cooler(fits nicely between the framerails), mopar 4.0 conversion computer/electronics(programmable w/ a laptop) adj. fuel press reg w/ ford 36lb injectors(sorry, haven't figured the quench, overbore, boost, etc. yet).

i have given this exact setup A LOT of thought. this would be AWD, put out over 600 ft/lbs, weigh about 3800 lbs, and dialed in, would out handle a corvette on a really twisty track. why? perfect powerband, excellent weight/power distribution system, steering set up to drift into the apex and rear set up to pile drive it out like a banshee on crack. this is not set up to do 180+mph around a turn on a nascar track, it is set up for doing
75+ on turns most people only feel safe doing 30, and reaching over 100 extremely quickly coming out of the corner. it will handle well at higher speeds, but aerodynamics will progressivly make it at a disadvantage over 120 or so around turns.
-the whole thing, including the vehicle, would cost 30-45 grand, depending on how much you could do yourself. beating a skyline with a jeep: PRICLESS :D :D :D

BlackSport96 said:
Back to cars...

My way out there, never gonna happen, probably impossible idea is to transplant the drivetrain (engine, tranny, AWD etc) from a Japanese SKyline GT-R into a 97 or so Nissan Maxima. Keep it looking fairly stock, just wheels and tires to handle the extra power. That could be a big surprise to a lot of people on the streets...:D

Finally a conversation about Japanese cars where I'm not arguing with people. Y'know, its kind of a well documented engine swap to put a skyline engine into the Nissan 240sx. I like the 240sx much better than the Maxima as its more racy looking and the drivetrain from the 240sx fourbanger is about the same length the Skyline. The R33 GTS Skyline engines w/ RB25DET engine&tranny are most often used as its a cheaper and easier swap, but there are a few floating around w/ the elusive RB26DETT engine w/ 6speed MT, the awd feature usually must go. Of course, the problem w/ the GTR engine is that the twin turbo setup interfears w/ the steering shaft on US vehicles (on Jap ones its on the other side). Custom fabrication of intake and exhaust components is required. Otherwise, the 2.5 I6 singleturbo swap is easy if a.) you have ALL the right odds and ends (best idea is to aquire in Japan an entire front clip) b.) hit at least some of the lotto numbers and c.) are willing to tell people your wood spacers are "organic carbon fiber"

My daydream project, I would love to throw the RB26 into... A Shark-nosed BMW, like a mid-late 80's 5 series. As far as I see it, a skyline sleeper but with a much more luxurious cabin than the 240sx. Plus these have a front fenders and it looks like things fit. One day I will have the free time, $ to do this. I would also like to get a toyota 4cyl turbodiesel & tranny, late 80s-90s with manual injection and put into one of those old Toyota pickups w/ 4x4 and SFA. This, because I would like a light diesel pickup but they don't exist here.

Last edited:
2offroad said:
Geo Metro + Northstar = great fun till the cops show up.

that or a Northstar in a Fiero. That I hear is a relativly easy swap. And DAMN spooky to ride in.

I like the title of the thread. I think I'd first ask Beezils' mom about welding before taking advise from Hinkley.

:D :D :D

I'd like to put a GSXR 1100 on my sons big wheel. I've heard this swap is a bit tricky due to pedal speed. The little guys legs have to spin so fast that they make these titanium straps to keep your feet on. Power to weight should be excellent.
I just finished a viper to Go-Ped conversion, but am having problems with the throttle linkage, and its getting hard to see...bugs hitting me i the forehead and all... The neighborhood kids like to do braodies on the "bag ladies" lawn...theres also a bit of fear factor getting the thing to stop with those little 6" discs...

bajacalal said:
Finally a conversation about Japanese cars where I'm not arguing with people. Y'know, its kind of a well documented engine swap to put a skyline engine into the Nissan 240sx. I like the 240sx much better than the Maxima as its more racy looking and the drivetrain from the 240sx fourbanger is about the same length the Skyline. The R33 GTS Skyline engines w/ RB25DET engine&tranny are most often used as its a cheaper and easier swap, but there are a few floating around w/ the elusive RB26DETT engine w/ 6speed MT, the awd feature usually must go. Of course, the problem w/ the GTR engine is that the twin turbo setup interfears w/ the steering shaft on US vehicles (on Jap ones its on the other side). Custom fabrication of intake and exhaust components is required. Otherwise, the 2.5 I6 singleturbo swap is easy if a.) you have ALL the right odds and ends (best idea is to aquire in Japan an entire front clip) b.) hit at least some of the lotto numbers and c.) are willing to tell people your wood spacers are "organic carbon fiber"

My daydream project, I would love to throw the RB26 into... A Shark-nosed BMW, like a mid-late 80's 5 series. As far as I see it, a skyline sleeper but with a much more luxurious cabin than the 240sx. Plus these have a front fenders and it looks like things fit. One day I will have the free time, $ to do this. I would also like to get a toyota 4cyl turbodiesel & tranny, late 80s-90s with manual injection and put into one of those old Toyota pickups w/ 4x4 and SFA. This, because I would like a light diesel pickup but they don't exist here.

Better one is a nice 3.0 Turbo motor out of a supra......Into a Cressida. The 7MGTE motors can make over 600 HP, and 700ft/lbs Pretty cheaply, and make the Cressida the PERFECT sleeper.

Back