• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sweet, more taxes...

JNickel101

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading somewhere that the whole idea of Net Neutrality that was run up the pole by the FCC, was effectively struck down in court via another decision on a non-related case.

Let me see if I can find that...

Ron

edit: Here it is: http://gizmodo.com/5510831/comcast-...esnt-have-the-power-to-enforce-net-neutrality
A federal appeals court just ruled on Comcast's lawsuit to get the FCC's p2p blocking ban overturned—that the FCC doesn't have the power to tell Comcast, or any ISP, to be net neutral.

SOOOOO... have you guys realized that your network (foxnews) cant even get net neutrality right?

if in doubt, ask someone who knows. fox news is 100% wrong here, more so than normal. look it up.

go ahead, watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-2gykOf5Is

Care to point out, specifically, the "wrongs"? Validating your claims with facts and data will give credibility to your statement.

Last edited:
Um....I was just referring to new taxes, but ok...

Care to point out, specifically, the "wrongs"? Validating your claims with facts and data will give credibility to your statement.

beck did an entire rant, in which, he got the sides of the argument wrong by 180 degress, net neutrality is a tricky name, and it has completely confused beck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2NLXFx7KSM

ask someone who knows ANYTHING about this, net neutrality is nothing new.

like i said, COMPLETELY wrong, this has nothing to do with opinions... the 'free press' he bashes, is for keeping the internet the way it is now...

tisk tisk...

it's ok for you right wingers to be for stupid ideas, just get them straight first!

Um....I was just referring to new taxes, but ok...

Do you pay a Universal Service Fund fee every month? It's purpose, is to pay for infrastructure so that Gandma Frannie out in Tumbuck Fuk Nowhere can use a telephone to summon help. AT&T sure isn't going to run miles of line to reach her for $19/mo so we subsidize that. Good Right?

If I am not mistaken, the FCC would like to make high speed internet service available everywhere there is phone service. To support building that infastructure, they want to charge something like a USF. Is this bad? I don't think so.

Along with that, they want to end the practice of denying customers full access to the internet. Right now, carriers can limit your upload/download speeds and the ports which are available and you are helpless to do anything about it. If I understand the term correctly, "Net Neutrality", will ensure that everyone has the SAME access to the internet as everyone else. Undortunately, they lost the Comcast case, which was about exactly that practice.

I hope I got that all right...

Ron

Do you pay a Universal Service Fund fee every month? It's purpose, is to pay for infrastructure so that Gandma Frannie out in Tumbuck Fuk Nowhere can use a telephone to summon help. AT&T sure isn't going to run miles of line to reach her for $19/mo so we subsidize that. Good Right?

If I am not mistaken, the FCC would like to make high speed internet service available everywhere there is phone service. To support building that infastructure, they want to charge something like a USF. Is this bad? I don't think so.

Along with that, they want to end the practice of denying customers full access to the internet. Right now, carriers can limit your upload/download speeds and the ports which are available and you are helpless to do anything about it. If I understand the term correctly, "Net Neutrality", will ensure that everyone has the SAME access to the internet as everyone else. Undortunately, they lost the Comcast case, which was about exactly that practice.

Ron
congrats, your smarter than that 5th grader.

now. go look at the freepress, and everyone else beck talks about. none of them are for changing anything. theyre against the potential regulation.

you'll find, that they dont want to regulate it! beck is arguing with people who, if on this matter alone... beleive the same thing, the internet is perfect the way it is. the problem? he still says theyre wrong, and acts as if the freepress is coming for your internets...

its not true... the only people who want more regulation, are companies like comcast, and the politicians theyve bought.

net neutrality has more to do with throttling than anything, companies like google/foxnews/AP would get a fast lane, while sites like theyoungturks/naxja get stuck in the gutter. i can promise you, if it goes to congress, 85% of the people voting on it, will NOT understand it. thats the problem with out government.

beck did an entire rant, in which, he got the sides of the argument wrong by 180 degress, net neutrality is a tricky name, and it has completely confused beck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2NLXFx7KSM

ask someone who knows ANYTHING about this, net neutrality is nothing new.

like i said, COMPLETELY wrong, this has nothing to do with opinions... the 'free press' he bashes, is for keeping the internet the way it is now...

tisk tisk...

it's ok for you right wingers to be for stupid ideas, just get them straight first!

There are those within the existing Administration who are attempting to control the information that is available and how it is distributed, destroy Capitolism and take over private industry. Banking, Finance, Auto Mfg, Healthcare.......ring any bells?

Their efforts are being called Marxist because they are adhering to a model that Marx and his followers created.......show me where I'm wrong....please.

Free Press co-founder Robert McChesney : "We need to do whatever we can to limit capitalist propaganda, regulate it, minimalize it and perhaps even eliminate it."

FCC loses key ruling on 'Net neutrality'

By The Associated Press

April 06, 2010, 10:48AM

WASHINGTON -- A federal court threw the future of Internet regulations and U.S. broadband expansion plans into doubt today with a far-reaching decision that went against the Federal Communications Commission.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruled that the FCC lacks the authority to require broadband providers to give equal treatment to all Internet traffic flowing over their networks. That was a big victory for Comcast Corp., the nation's largest cable company, which had challenged the FCC's authority to impose such "Net neutrality" obligations on broadband providers.

The ruling marks a serious setback for the FCC, which is trying to adopt official Net neutrality regulations. FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, a Democrat, argues that such rules are needed to prevent phone and cable companies from using their control over Internet access to favor some online content and services over others.

The decision also has serious implications for the massive national broadband plan released by the FCC last month. The FCC needs clear authority to regulate broadband in order to push ahead with some its key recommendations, including a proposal to expand broadband by tapping the federal fund that subsidizes telephone service in poor and rural communities.

In a statement, the FCC said it remains "firmly committed to promoting an open Internet and to policies that will bring the enormous benefits of broadband to all Americans" and "will rest these policies ... on a solid legal foundation."

Comcast had no immediate comment.

The court case centered on Comcast's challenge of a 2008 FCC order banning the company from blocking its broadband subscribers from using an online file-sharing technology known as BitTorrent. The commission, at the time headed by Republican Kevin Martin, based its order on a set of Net neutrality principles it adopted in 2005 to prevent broadband providers from becoming online gatekeepers. Those principles have guided the FCC's enforcement of communications laws on a case-by-case basis.

But Comcast argued that the FCC order was illegal because the agency was seeking to enforce mere policy principles, which don't have the force of regulations or law. That is one reason that Genachowski is now trying to formalize those rules.

The cable company had also argued that the FCC lacks authority to mandate Net neutrality because it had deregulated broadband under the Bush administration, a decision upheld by the Supreme Court in 2005.

The FCC now defines broadband as a lightly regulated information service. That means it is not subject to the obligations traditional telecommunications services have to share their networks with competitors and treat all traffic equally. But the agency argues that existing law gives it authority to set rules for information services, including Net neutrality rules.

Today's court decision rejected that reasoning, concluding that Congress has not given the FCC "untrammeled freedom" to regulate services without explicit legal authority.

With so much at stake, the FCC now has several options. It could ask Congress to give it explicit authority to regulate broadband. Or it could appeal today's decision to the Supreme Court.

But both of those steps could take too long because the agency "has too many important things they have to do right away," said Ben Scott, policy director for the public interest group Free Press. Free Press was among the groups that alerted the FCC to Comcast's behavior after The Associated Press ran tests and reported that the cable company was interfering with attempts by some subscribers to share files online.

The more likely scenario, Scott believes, is that the agency will simply reclassify broadband as a more heavily regulated telecommunications service. And that, ironically, could be the worst-case outcome from the perspective of the phone and cable companies, he noted.

"Comcast swung an ax at the FCC to protest the BitTorrent order," Scott said. "And they sliced right through the FCC's arm and plunged the ax into their own back."

The battle over the FCC's legal jurisdiction comes amid a larger policy dispute over the merits of Net neutrality. Backed by Internet companies such as Google Inc. and the online calling service Skype, the FCC says rules are needed to prevent phone and cable companies from prioritizing some traffic or degrading or blocking cheaper Internet calling services or online video sites that compete with their core businesses. Indeed, BitTorrent can be used to transfer large files such as online video, which could threaten Comcast's cable TV business.

But broadband providers such as Comcast, AT&T Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc. argue that after spending billions of dollars on their networks, they should be able to manage their systems to offer premium services and prevent high-bandwidth applications such as BitTorrent from hogging capacity and slowing the network for everyone else.

For its part, the FCC offered no details on its next step other than to stress that it remains committed to the principle of Net neutrality.

"Today's court decision invalidated the prior commission's approach to preserving an open Internet," the agency's statement said. "But the court in no way disagreed with the importance of preserving a free and open Internet; nor did it close the door to other methods for achieving this important end."

-- The Associated Press
*****************************************************************************************
Funny that you want to point out how "stupid" others are that oppose your views.......yet you fail to see through the whole issue with Net Neutrality....OR perhaps you actually understand how, as proposed, it will give the Federal Government government control of what information is delivered to the general public, allowing them to shape the thoughts and opinions and actions of We The People?

This is a direct violation of the US Constitution.

Are you telling me that you agree that the Federal Goverment should have control of our opinions, our thoughts and actions?

Sounds like Marxism to me. You're in the forest dude......look around for the trees.

Registered Independant.....FWIW

Ron

Nope, widen your field of view.

I trust the government more than the company store.

You've been in California too long, Tom. Your loss of Freedoms have dulled your senses.

And don't confuse my Independant status with a party line of voting. I don't drink Coolaid, regardless of who serves it, my opinions, my choice. FWIW

Jeff,
Wasn't meant to be a slam. Just pointing out I am unaffiliated also. When I registered that way a couple of months ago my wife said "now we'll get junk mail from both parties"
Tom

FCC’s Chief Diversity Officer Wants Private Broadcasters to Pay a Sum Equal to Their Total Operating Costs to Fund Public Broadcasting
Thursday, August 13, 2009
By Matt Cover, Staff Writer

- Mark Lloyd, newly appointed Chief Diversity Officer of the Federal Communications Commission, has called for making private broadcasting companies pay licensing fees equal to their total operating costs to allow public broadcasting outlets to spend the same on their operations as the private companies do.

Lloyd presented the idea in his 2006 book, Prologue to a Farce: Communications and Democracy in America, published by the University of Illinois Press.

Lloyd’s hope is to dramatically upgrade and revamp the Corporation for Public Broadcasting through new funding drawn from private broadcasters.

The CPB is a non-profit entity that was created by Congress and that currently receives hundreds of millions of dollars in federal subsidies each year. In fiscal 2009, it is receiving an appropriation of $400 million.

“The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) must be reformed along democratic lines and funded on a substantial level,” Lloyd wrote in his book.

“Federal and regional broadcast operations and local stations should be funded at levels commensurate with or above those spending levels at which commercial operations are funded,” Lloyd wrote. “This funding should come from license fees charged to commercial broadcasters. Funding should not come from congressional appropriations. Sponsorship should be prohibited at all public broadcasters.”

Along with this money, Lloyd would regulate much of the programming on these stations to make sure they focused on “diverse views” and government activities.

“Local public broadcasters and regional and national communications operations should be required to encourage and broadcast diverse views and programs,” wrote Lloyd. “These programs should include coverage of all local, state and federal government meetings, as well as daily news and public issues programming.

“In addition, educational programs for children and adults, and diverse, independent personal and cultural expression should be encouraged,” he wrote.

Dennis Wharton, Executive Vice President of Media Relations at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) told CNSNews.com that his organization, which represents radio and television broadcasters, supports public broadcasting, but that that support should come from the public in general not broadcasters alone.

“NAB supports federal funding for public broadcasting,” said Wharton. “However, we would oppose efforts to fund public broadcasting through fees assessed against free and local broadcasters who are experiencing the worst advertising recession in 50 years.”

Lloyd wrote Prologue to a Farce while a senior fellow at the liberal Center for American Progress. In that capacity, he co-authored the 2007 report The Structural Imbalance of Political Talk Radio, which concluded that 91% of talk radio programming is conservative and 9% is “progressive.”

The report argued that large corporate broadcasting networks had driven liberals off the radio, and that diversity of ownership would increase diversity of broadcasting voices.
*************************************************************************************
"As a result of this decision, the FCC has virtually no power to stop Comcast from blocking Web sites," S. Derek Turner, research director for Free Press, said in a statement. "The FCC has virtually no power to make policies to bring broadband to rural America, to promote competition, to protect consumer privacy or truth in billing. This cannot be an acceptable outcome for the American public and requires immediately FCC action to reestablish legal authority."
*************************************************************************************

Still unclear on the agenda of the FCC and Free Press here?

The reason that "Progressive" talk radio and web media has been unsuccessful is because the majority of the listening audience doesn't want to buy what they are selling!

This is how Capitalism and a free market economy works. If you have a good product that the masses want, they buy it.
If your product sucks and folks don't buy it, your company is out of business.
There's no need for the FCC to create policy to "promote competition". Competition already exists.

We have access to all the great things that we enjoy daily as Americans because of this.

Contrary to Progressive belief, High Speed internet access is not a God-given, nor Constitutional right.

The goal of governmental control of the media by the Obama Admin and the Progressives in Washington, under the guise and tactics of Net Neutrality, Fairness Doctrine and "Broadband for All" are right out of Sal Alinsky "Rules for Radicals":

• "The end is what you want, the means is how you get it. Whenever we think about social change, the question of means and ends arises. The man of action views the issue of means and ends in pragmatic and strategic terms. He has no other problem; he thinks only of his actual resources and the possibilities of various choices of action. He asks of ends only whether they are achievable and worth the cost; of means, only whether they will work. ... The real arena is corrupt and bloody." p.24
  • "The third rule of ethics of means and ends is that in war the end justifies almost any means...." p.29

• "The tenth rule... is you do what you can with what you have and clothe it with moral garments.... It involves sifting the multiple factors which combine in creating the circumstances at any given time... Who, and how many will support the action?... If weapons are needed, then are appropriate d weapons available? Availability of means determines whether you will be underground or above ground; whether you will move quickly or slowly..." p.36

Two of the FCC's long standing mandates has been to make communication available to everyone and to make the opportunity for both sides of a discussion to be heard equally and . No "Diversity Officer", no matter how left wing will be able to disrupt that historical mandate.

The problem with deregulation was that it took out of the hands of the FCC the power to enforce it's two principle mandates.

Ron

Two of the FCC's long standing mandates has been to make communication available to everyone and to make the opportunity for both sides of a discussion to be heard equally and . No "Diversity Officer", no matter how left wing will be able to disrupt that historical mandate.

The problem with deregulation was that it took out of the hands of the FCC the power to enforce it's two principle mandates.

Ron

In 1985, the FCC saw the flaws in it's own policy and dissolved it.

The FCC fairness policy was given great credence by the 1969 U.S. Supreme Court case of Red Lion Broadcasting Co., Inc. v. FCC. In that case, a station in Pennsylvania, licensed by Red Lion Co., had aired a "Christian Crusade" program wherein an author, Fred J. Cook, was attacked. When Cook requested time to reply in keeping with the fairness doctrine, the station refused.​

Upon appeal to the FCC, the Commission declared that there was personal attack and the station had failed to meet its obligation. The station appealed and the case wended its way through the courts and eventually to the Supreme Court. The court ruled for the FCC, giving sanction to the fairness doctrine.​

The doctrine, nevertheless, disturbed many journalists, who considered it a violation of First Amendment rights of free speech/free press which should allow reporters to make their own decisions about balancing stories. Fairness, in this view, should not be forced by the FCC. In order to avoid the requirement to go out and find contrasting viewpoints on every issue raised in a story, some journalists simply avoided any coverage of some controversial issues. This "chilling effect" was just the opposite of what the FCC intended.​

By the 1980s, many things had changed. The "scarcity" argument which dictated the "public trustee" philosophy of the Commission, was disappearing with the abundant number of channels available on cable TV. Without scarcity, or with many other voices in the marketplace of ideas, there were perhaps fewer compelling reasons to keep the fairness doctrine.

This was also the era of deregulation when the FCC took on a different attitude about its many rules, seen as an unnecessary burden by most stations. The new Chairman of the FCC, Mark Fowler, appointed by President Reagan, publicly avowed to kill to fairness doctrine.​

By 1985, the FCC issued its Fairness Report, asserting that the doctrine was no longer having its intended effect, might actually have a "chilling effect" and might be in violation of the First Amendment. In a 1987 case, Meredith Corp. v. FCC, the courts declared that the doctrine was not mandated by Congress and the FCC did not have to continue to enforce it.​

The FCC dissolved the doctrine in August of that year.

I wish you would have formed your own opinion and given credit to those whose words you used instead of your own.

This kind of reminds me of those 7th Day adventists who come to my door and tell me I'm going to hell. Their "Proof" is something written by someone else in a book, which they are blindly following to their own litttle hell.

Ron

Last edited:
I wish you would have formed your own opinion and given credit to those whose words you used instead of your own.

This kind of reminds me of those 7th Day adventists who come to my door and tell me I'm going to hell. Their "Proof" is something written by someone else in a book, which they are blindly following to their own litttle hell.

Ron

"When lacking facts and data to back up your position or opinion, incite a personal attack in attempt to discredit the individual or source." Well done, Ron.

I came across multiple sources that provided this info, and since I have the ability to grant one wish to you, here is the a source.
http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php?entrycode=fairnessdoct

I post facts and data to support my position. It's rather enlightening.

Back