• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker twist

xrayjeeper83

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone stroker a 2.5 4 banger??????? I know a guy that had one in his YJ but he bought the YJ with it so he doenst know anything really about it, only that it could put down some power. 2.5 with dana 44's geared 5.30something and 44in boggers and he had no problem spinning them. Just wondering if anyone had any info on it.

xrayjeeper83 said:
Anyone stroker a 2.5 4 banger??????? I know a guy that had one in his YJ but he bought the YJ with it so he doenst know anything really about it, only that it could put down some power. 2.5 with dana 44's geared 5.30something and 44in boggers and he had no problem spinning them. Just wondering if anyone had any info on it.

There's no stroker kit for the 2.5. You'd have to get a stroker crank custom made and that would cost you a lot of $$$$. You're better off swapping in a V8 such as the Chevy LS1 with tranny.

To give my info some validity, My other hobby is turbo dodges, my other car being a 350 whp dodge spirit R/T. If Im not mistakin the 2.5 is a variation of the chrysler 2.2, which is a stroker itself. The only difference between them is the 2.5 has a larger bore. What Im saying is the 2.5 allready has a large stroke, and you probably wouldnt be able to get much more out of it by stroking it, maybe 2.8? Turbo or swap in the 4.0. Even cooler would be to swap in a chrysler turbo 2.2, preferably the TIII motor (what I have in my car). I have been toying with the idea of taking the engine out of my car and dropping it into a 4wd jeep cherokee. The jeep is lighter than my car and 4wd. And people thought my car was a sleeper...

-Jerry

sandmcrew2 said:
To give my info some validity, My other hobby is turbo dodges, my other car being a 350 whp dodge spirit R/T. If Im not mistakin the 2.5 is a variation of the chrysler 2.2, which is a stroker itself. The only difference between them is the 2.5 has a larger bore. What Im saying is the 2.5 allready has a large stroke, and you probably wouldnt be able to get much more out of it by stroking it, maybe 2.8? Turbo or swap in the 4.0. Even cooler would be to swap in a chrysler turbo 2.2, preferably the TIII motor (what I have in my car). I have been toying with the idea of taking the engine out of my car and dropping it into a 4wd jeep cherokee. The jeep is lighter than my car and 4wd. And people thought my car was a sleeper...

-Jerry

there too completely diff Eng's!!!! pitcher a 4.0L with 2 cylinder missing........then you will get the pitcher;)

Flash.

Exactly. The 2.5L 4-banger that appeared in the TJ/XJ/YJ is an AMC engine and is completely different from the 2.5L Chrysler engine. The AMC 2.5 was so good that its cylinder head design, pistons, and rods were used to spawn the 4.0. The 4.0 is basically the 2.5 with two extra cylinders and a longer stroke.

jeepnuts311 said:
its easy, just get in some mud, can spin them all day long

-Tim
yeah, I'd like to see a 2.5 spinning 44's? Maybe your mud is made of ice, but my mud would eat that 2.5 alive.

Dr. Dyno said:
Exactly. The 2.5L 4-banger that appeared in the TJ/XJ/YJ is an AMC engine and is completely different from the 2.5L Chrysler engine. The AMC 2.5 was so good that its cylinder head design, pistons, and rods were used to spawn the 4.0. The 4.0 is basically the 2.5 with two extra cylinders and a longer stroke.

I thought the 2.5 was basically a 4.2 block and a 4.0 head with two cylinders cut out of the middle

got #'s for bore and stroke on each of these engines?

Whoops, sorry for the bad info guys, I dont know where I heard that. I think its becuase the 2.5 in the dakota has the same belhousing patern as the cryco 2.2/ 2.5, and the ones with the ax-15 can be bolted up making a rear-drive turbo 2.2 application. Once again, Sorry for the hi-jack and the bad info.

-Jerry

sandmcrew2 said:
Whoops, sorry for the bad info guys, I dont know where I heard that. I think its becuase the 2.5 in the dakota has the same belhousing patern as the cryco 2.2/ 2.5, and the ones with the ax-15 can be bolted up making a rear-drive turbo 2.2 application. Once again, Sorry for the hi-jack and the bad info.

-Jerry

It's all good!:D

Flash

You might be suprised at what goodies Lee has laying around at Hesco. He has built 2.5's with a 4" stroke for example....most likely one off custom cranks, but they were for the Jeep factory race team....so cost didn't matter.

And can't spin 44's with a 2.5??? I have seen Sami's with those wheezy little 1600's spin 44's in the mud...not fast, but rotation without the vehicle moving IS technically spinning isn't it?? And I will guarantee a 2.5 will spin good size tires...if you put in big enuff nitrous jets...in the nozzles....sayyyyy #50 nitrous and #54 fuel ;)

Last edited:
Just to hang you up good....the motor in my MJ #2 is a 2.5 from a '98 model Dakota.....it is a JEEP engine....IDENTICAL to a MPI 2.5 from any jeep except for differences in throttle linkages and the air plenum that was attached to the throttle body...I bolted my stock TBI intake and exhaust to the motor and threw it in the MJ....good to go..:thumbup:

The 4.0 is basically the 2.5 with two extra cylinders and a longer stroke.

I hate to disagree, but (to my knowledge)...

The 2.5 is based on the old AMC inline six engines (such as the 232/4.2/256). When they made the 2.5, they made some changes (head design and such) to the design in regards to getting more power out of it (considering its displacement), and these changes were incorporated into the 4.0 engines a couple of years later.

Back