• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

straps for car hauler

so i picked up a flat bed car hauler trailer for the xj. i was wondering what is the correct size ratcheting strap to use for securing the xj to the trailer?

Thanks
stewie

Big ones ;)

Each one of my straps has a working limit right around the weight of my jeep. The breaking of each sttrap is more double the jeeps weight. I always use 4 straps, one per corner. Some prefer to add an extra back up chain around each axle too just in case.

Check out places like Mac's tie downs for some real nice quality stuff. I scored mine at an auto swap meet to save a couple of bucks.

stewie I use between 4 and 6 5000# ratchet straps when I tow mine. Like what was said above, if you break one the other will hold.

I usually X the front and back, then run a strap from the front axle straight back to the rear tiedown and vise-versa for the rear axle. My biggest fear while towing is injuring somebody else on the road so it is better to be safe than sorry.

ok, wheres some good places to get some at a good price?

Mac's has the best. I use the straps with the axle loop built in. They work great.

I bought all my stuff at the local TSC. about $12 a strap and axles straps as well. look back by the trailer parts.

I got 4 straps from TSC as well they work great and hold the jeep no problem...

FWIW, I've got a set of 4 Mac's tiedowns, with the separate axle loops. Out of sheer paranoia, I did up up 2 more axle loops at TSC just for emergency spares. IMO, there is a significant difference between the Mac's and the TSC straps. If I have to take a Mac's strap out of service, I'll probably be ordering a replacement as soon as I can.

You really should make sure you try and tie to the body not the axles alone. You want to suck the body down some so it does not bounce bad. When I make long hauls I have 4 straps to the body, one on each corner, and 2 to the axle, one front and one rear.

<shrug> depends on the vehicle. I've got over 5,000 miles on my trailer hauling my XJ over the last year, tying down to the axles. The body (front swaybar connected) does not exhibit much sway at all. For me to tie down to the body, I'm going to be well over the capacity of the strap winches simply due to how far down I'd have to pull the body to really eliminate what little sway there is.

I tried straps to my body one time. one broke, one came loose. Now it's two straps to each axle and it works fine. Of course the weinerbox has the advantage of being enclosed, so we're going to see how that plays out.

Back