• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock rear driveshaft needed

lesslimited

Official MWC Brewmeister
NAXJA Member
about 35.5" to 36" length from u-joint cap to end, in installed position. Not sure if this is a stock size, but the original from my 94 AX15, 231, D35 was just short enough to work with the 8.25 and budget boost. Now that I installed a 242, it's definitely too long, and the original from Cindy's 99 AW4, 242, 8.25 is too short.

Even if you're not in the Chicago area, if you have one the correct size, if you could let me know what it came out of so I know what to look for in the junkyard, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mine is laying up at Kim's, unless he threw it out. I'll grab measurements and get back at you.

Not trying to threadjack but I am looking for a stock aw4/231 setup rear driveshaft as well.

about 35.5" to 36" length from u-joint cap to end, in installed position. Not sure if this is a stock size, but the original from my 94 AX15, 231, D35 was just short enough to work with the 8.25 and budget boost. Now that I installed a 242, it's definitely too long, and the original from Cindy's 99 AW4, 242, 8.25 is too short.

Even if you're not in the Chicago area, if you have one the correct size, if you could let me know what it came out of so I know what to look for in the junkyard, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have stock shaft in the garage, aw4 to d35 from the 91. I'll measure it when I get home from the airport.

I have a few stock rear shafts. I will measure lengths and post up. Who ever want them can contact me. John, as always, you have first dibs. I am assuming that you are not running a SYE of any sort?

Thanks, guys!

No SYE, this jeep will likely never be wheeled. Since the 242 is longer than the 231, and the AX15 is shorter than the AW4, and the 8.25 is longer than the D35 :confused1 , there should be a couple/few combinations that will have the length I'm looking for.

In the meantime, it's kinda interesting driving a front wheel drive.

John, the info on the shaft I texted to you I believe is from a AW4/231/8.25 combo. I looked back at my notes in the shop and that was what was in the last 2 rigs we have parted. Just wanted to let you know that for size and comparison. :thumbup:

We're comparing shaft sizes now? :eyes:

Yeah, yours is too short for me :D

Probably looking for a AW4, 231, D35 combo, but I think there are also length differences between the early and later style tailshafts, to further complicate things...

If my original wasn't extremely rusty, I would have one of my buddies shorten it for me, or if work was a little busier, I'd just have Chicago Driveline make me a new one. Driving carefully in front wheel drive is probably saving me some gas, but it's no fun.

John, not sure if I'm measuring right, but hope you can decipher.

AW4, 242, D35 from a '91 Limited.

36 7/16 from end of slip yoke to cap end of yoke at the axle end. Not the center of the u-joint cap, but the actual end.

Does that help?

Yeah, that's how I measured, and pretty close to what I need. To bad I didn't save the original from my '92 with that combo.

I might have time to get to the junkyard later this week. The jeep I got the 242 shifter gate and bezel from may have the D35 too.

Thanks, but the front wheel drive thing is getting old real fast. If I can't find something at the junkyard this week, I'll probably just get a new one. Chicago Driveline is actually very reasonably priced, I just haven't been very busy lately so I'm trying to do the cheap route if I can.

Work schedule changed, so I went to the junkyard today.

Shoulda known better. They move the vehicles around with giant fork lifts, so I found several dented shafts that were the perfect length.

Chicago Driveline claimed the rust wouldn't be a problem, so they're cutting, u-jointing and balancing my original shaft for $130-something. They'll probably paint the rust, too.

I usually pay $100 to have one retubed and balanced...

mac 'shafted' gyvr

Back