• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering

depends on the local JY

That is the one I have (The rugged ridge one), and as long as you put the JCR spacers in the TRE on the knuckle, and don't run more than say 5 inches of lift (you can run more with a drop pitman arm) you will be fine with that. I was running 5 inches of lift with the stock pitman arm though, and it would wear TRE at the pitman arm out very quickly. It was ok on the street, but when the suspension started flexing much it would bind alot and wear it out quick. Put on a ZJ pitman arm (1" drop), replaced that TRE, and its been great ever since.

Yeah, I've still got stock on mine too, but that's just because I'm too lazy to install the ZJ linkage I have sitting on the back porch (no Flores, I said porch, NOT Porsche).

From what I understand (and have seen on DangerGirl's XJ) the larger tires (she's got 35's) don't like the stock linkage too much. Stock XJ linkage uses hollow tubes which flex quite a bit with 33's and bigger. The ZJ linkage (magimerlin was nice enough to post part numbers in some thread if you want to buy new stuff) is solid, so you don't get the flex you do with hollow tubes.

I'd strongly suggest, given what I know of your driving style/habits (not a slam against you man, just an observation) you might seriously consider going to your local JY and pulling a set of ZJ steering componants. Then go purchase some new tie rod ends and install them on your rig.

I'd say you will be fine running on stock until you get that Rugged Ridge Setup. I had 35's on 5 inches for a LONG time on stock steering. Also I recommend if you order it, you also need to order two of these http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TNSTBSH&Category_Code=S6,
and one of these
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...5285&Category_Code=OEM_STEERING_SUSPENSION_ZJ its effectively a 1 inch drop pitman arm, not as good as maybe a 2-4 inch drop arm, but it will be easier on your steering box/frame, and its only $35 with shipping as opposed to $100.00.

I did the zj on a 6" lift, works well for me. Was an easy swap, done in an hour or so. I'm pretty hard on my heep, it seems to take it. Plus, it's covered under the autozone, hey, this broke plan

I'm at 6" lift and stock ZJ steering with no issues. I have told you this how many times. You do not need aftermarket steering. Like others have said, just do the ZJ stuff and you'll be fine. Spend your money were it is needed before where you want it.

And please enlighten us on how you are going from 3 inches to 5.5 inches...

And did you think about driveline vibes without installing a SYE? Your rear drive shaft will be at an even worse angle. I know you have the alxe shims in there but they only help so much. I know some rigs don't need the SYE, but from what I have heard, you will be eating up u-joints or worse like blowing your TC.

Just things to think about. Plus at the rate you are going your rig will be more then your driving style is ready for (again NOT attacking you) and you will end up breaking things left and right like some one else we know on here...

Last edited:
Back