• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering

nhrocker

Jackstand wheeler
I have my old steering up for sale. Two different sets.

First is stock steering. It was installed after an accident years ago. I only ran it for one year before I really got into wheeling and its been sitting in my attic since then. Needs new boots and I think it's missing some of the castle nuts, but everything seems fine other than that.

Second is my old Currie HD steering. I purchased it used and ran it for about 4 years. Links have some rock rash, tie rod has a slight curve, but not enough that it ever affected anything. Needs new tie rod ends and at least upper drag link end. Lower drag link end could probably still be used. I was planning to convert it to use rod ends on the tie rod but changed plans.

Both are make a reasonable offer!

Last edited:
Any pics? What makes you say that the rod ends need to be replaced?
You realize that if all four ends need to be replaced, that's $300 in parts, right?

wow, $300 for 3 ends? unless i'm missing something that sounds pretty outrageous?

Well, if you buy them from Currie, that's what they run. $50 a piece, which is $150, or $100 for the tre's and $190 for the complete drag link-

joshv98xj said:
Any pics? What makes you say that the rod ends need to be replaced?
You realize that if all four ends need to be replaced, that's $300 in parts, right?
I can snap some pics. Might have some of the tie rod already.

They're worn. They've seen 4 years of DD and offroad use by me and a couple years by someone before that, so I'd say they hold up pretty well. I was still driving with them in before I pulled them out, but you could feel the play in the steering wheel.

Cost to replace all three individual ends and the drag link (lower end is built in) would be $259.80 plus shipping if you order them direct from Currie Enterprises. Compare that to the $399.95 for the complete system before shipping.

MoparManiac said:
Can't use any OEM TREs (not an XJ) on that setup?
From what I found researching it, the Currie setup uses custom made TRE's that use 7/8" threaded ends in the tie rod/drag link but still use the stock taper in the knuckles/pitman arm. There is the possibility of just finding OEM TRE's with 7/8" threaded ends and machining your knuckles/pitman arm to utilize the larger tapered studs on the larger TRE's. That would give you heavy duty TRE's that should be cheaper and easier to get than the Currie's. I'm not sure what Currie's tpi is on those 7/8" threads, but if it's 18tpi than Chevy 1ton TRE's, for example, would be an easy swap and can be found for $35-40 or less.

Personally if my design plans didn't change I would have had no issues with either replacing the TRE's or modifying it to run hiems and called it done. The ends on it lasted through XJ_ranger and then myself for a minimum of at least 5 years on up to 33 inch tires. I've seen a guy running the same steering on a D44 in a Rubicon with 37" tires and hydro assist with no problems.

Back