• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring Recommendations

I got the Alcans installed and the quality is awesome but they are huge and I am very disappointed in the height. They should not be advertised as 4 inch springs, maybe 5.5 inch springs...... I am 1.5 inchs taller than before and was previously running Rustys 4.5in springs And 1.5 inch shackles. The springs were a little sagged but it sat perfect before and I had 6in coils in the front.

go for the 3.5" ome and use a main leaf out of something else

I've been making a chart looking at options

lschart.jpg

The dodge caravan leaves look like good candidates.

You will tune and bastardize any pack you buy anyways. I'm telling you the dodge van main-leaf is where it's at and backed up by WaXJ_Skier's chart. Not because it's what I have, but after a ton of work it's what I ended up with. You get all the benefits of the improved shackle angle but none of the detrimental anti-squat characteristics of the shackle relocation brackets.

go for the 3.5" ome and use a main leaf out of something else

I've been making a chart looking at options

lschart.jpg

The dodge caravan leaves look like good candidates.
Jeep XJ total length = 51.625... are these numbers with the weight of the vehicle on them? BDS said their packs are 48.625"...?

Damn you guys, now I'm back to the drawing board. Rich you made too much sense.

is lenght of the metal with the curve not the horizontal distance. The more arch you give a pack the smaller the horizontal distance between the eyes becomes because you are creating a larger arch with the same length of leaf. So you are going to want a main leaf that is slightly longer in the front dimension to maintain a stock wheel base and longer in the back to create better shackle angle.

Updated Chart
lschart-1.jpg

Last edited:
the e150 springs are looking good to me

the e150 springs are looking good to me

Agreed, those look great. All we need are spring-rates now.

Some of the dodge main-leaves had a funky oval forward bushing which might be hard to source if it goes bad. If the ford van bushings are round they may be superior to any dodge can leaf you can find. I couldn't find any dodge leaves with the round bushing so I have oval but it works fine. The bushings on my dodge van leaves were slightly large for the xj bolts but I found that a 1/2 piece of copper hard line makes a perfect sleeve/bushing with no slop.

Last edited:
Agreed, those look great. All we need are spring-rate's now.

Some of the dodge main-leaves had a funky oval forward bushing which might be hard to source if it goes bad. If the ford van bushings are round they may be superior to any dodge can leaf you can find. I couldn't find any dodge leaves with the round bushing so I have oval but it works fine. The bushings on my dodge van leaves were slightly large for the xj bolts but I found that a 1/2 piece of copper hard line makes a perfect sleeve/bushing with no slop.

Not worried about spring rates too Much I would only source the main from these packs and source the remaining leaves from smaller vehicles. My current plant is to remove the AAL from the OME pack I have and chop the bushings off the main then add a chopped Dakota main and one of the leaves in the chart. considering removing the overload leaf and adding one more Dakota leaf.

Not worried about spring rates too Much I would only source the main from these packs and source the remaining leaves from smaller vehicles. My current plant is to remove the AAL from the OME pack I have and chop the bushings off the main then add a chopped Dakota main and one of the leaves in the chart. considering removing the overload leaf and adding one more Dakota leaf.

Sorry if you mentioned it previously but why are you changing your current pack?

Sorry if you mentioned it previously but why are you changing your current pack?

It's pretty soft and my axle is farther forward than I would like. I'm also about to switch all my parts over to a different Jeep so I figure this is the easiest time to fix what I don't like.

It's pretty soft and my axle is farther forward than I would like. I'm also about to switch all my parts over to a different Jeep so I figure this is the easiest time to fix what I don't like.

Cool, I had the same soft issue. I moved my axle back by using the RE spring mounts with 3 center-pin holes. Now that Im thinking about it, the e-150 leaf overall dimension might be slightly too long. My dodge van leaf with the re-boomerang shackles are damm near perfect regarding the length while flexing. .875 longer might cause the shackle to contact the rear shackle box upon full stuff. I'm at or under 4.5" of lift though. If your rig is taller with more spring arch then it might be a non-issue. Although it might be something for TORX to consider since he wants to keep nail salon low. When I get my rig back ill take a pic of the rear shackle angle and clearances.

Which one? There's like 10 bastard-pack combinations in that thread.

im not to the build part yet. im uesing the charts for planning stages. ill be looking fo dodge 1/2t van main leaves to start with. then il go from there.

the thred has more info than sevral other threds. a 2" move in axle location seems like a little too much for my needs.

Bronze.

Ended up placing an order for some 4.5" BDS coils, and 3" BDS leaf packs (I'll be running a JKS shackle in combo with them).

I called BDS today, and they were super helpful. I was surprised to hear the rear packs are a 7 leaf pack (my old 4.5" RE's were 6). I think they should work well for me. If not, I'll be looking more into the Dodge van main leaf swap later in the year.

Like Rich said, no matter what pack I go with I'll probably end up bastardizing it anyway. I figure the BDS pack should be a good starting point. Plus they have a kick ass warranty!

Ended up placing an order for some 4.5" BDS coils, and 3" BDS leaf packs (I'll be running a JKS shackle in combo with them).

I called BDS today, and they were super helpful. I was surprised to hear the rear packs are a 7 leaf pack (my old 4.5" RE's were 6). I think they should work well for me. If not, I'll be looking more into the Dodge van main leaf swap later in the year.

Like Rich said, no matter what pack I go with I'll probably end up bastardizing it anyway. I figure the BDS pack should be a good starting point. Plus they have a kick ass warranty!

I'm VERY VERY interested to hear how these come out for you Dustin. I am strongly considering buying a new leaf pack and so far the 3" BDS pack is the one I'd get.

I would like to find out how your shackle angle comes out, your lift height with them, and if you get any axle-wrap with them. I also have the same JKS shackles I would be putting on with them.

I am going to be running my rear shocks through the floor here shortly and am concerned that with running my shocks vertically on top my leaf packs vs. the stock one on each side of the axle, that I'm going to increase my axle wrap. So I've been really researching other leaf packs. I was going to get the Big offroad (Alcan) pack but the smallest they make is 4" and I know two people with these and they came out to way over 4" of lift and I don't want my rig that tall.

I'm also curious how the coils are going to be. I'm also looking at getting some stiffer coils and so far my top choices are the 3" BDS coils or Full traction. Both have a spring rate around 240.

I've loved mine for several years now. Haven't sagged, and a nice ride.
I'm actually doing that same thing soon with the shackle and longer coils.

Dustin,
I think you will be very happy with the purchase. I was impressed with my fronts and was seriously considering switching out my rears for them also. I agree that IF you do end up basterdpacking them (which I agree is inevitable with almost all XJ packs we have seen in the past) that it would be a great way to start.

NorthwestXJ
I don't think that I would be too worried about the added axle wrap from the new shock locations as long as you have decent springs and shackles. I am curiouse as to why you want to go through the floor, I am assuming it is for added wheel travel and surprised that a standard shackle/leaf system will allow much mor up travel (plus limited tire space unless you are re-tubing the wheel wells?) and not sure that the added down travel is worth it? I can see it if you were linking, but not for standard leafs?

Michael

Back