• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

...sorry...another build thread...

yah every day i work from 9-6pm. then come home and eat real fast and work on the jeep form like 7-1am. some days if i get home early its like 6-midnight .

i still need to do LCA skids, plate the pass side UCA mounts, plate the rear quarter panels, maybe build boxes around the tail lights, theres always frame rail somewhere to plate, and then i want to figure out a tail gate... there is alot to do still...

yah ill take the axle and yah its a 110 . lincoln sp135.

im using .035 flux core.

I like the .035 over the .030 or .025, might just be me. It looks like you need to slow down, and you are push'in too much and not going deep. I know the thin uni-body stuff is nasty and you can put a hole in it faster then butter . . .

I have spent days burn'in into old flat sheet metal to find a nice beed, if you can get a 220 stick welder it will teach you so much. The skill needed to keep a stick burn'in will teach you so much about wire feed. If you are ever in San Jose and want to burn some metal let me know, I learn more from working with others then just try'in to figure it out on my own.

i actually 100% agree with you letterman, welder speed too fast , lack of penetration, this is like 2 weeks into the welder...im learning fast.

i had the speed too high and wasnt penetrating deep enough. i found this out when i turned the feed speed down to 3 last night and the heat on the second highest setting. tonight ive been burning this new rear bumper on heat 3 of 4 and the speed at 3 of 10 and its working great.

id love to stop by sometime when in san jose and weld up some crap.
ill post pics when i finish the bumper tomorrow...

Last edited:
oh yah and my garage doesnt even have 220 ...

if you shitcan the flux core & get a bottle of c25 or stargon your welds will improve.
i welded for years with a 110 volt mig before i got my 220 mig. you can do a lot with a good 110 machine once you know the limitations.

At least you have a garage!! 30k later, Grandma is happy in her own 1000sf granny suite..:bs:

I plug my welder(220) in through the window to the laundry room. Once you get the settings right, you won't have to grind so much. The Fluxcore is messy but so is my jeep.

yah now that i have it kinda figured out(more heat, slower speed, take my time) my welds not only penetrate better but look better , and alot less slag flying around.

the frame stiffeners where my first welding project basically. the 2x6 rockers were the second, the wrap around bumper was the third. ill post pics of the bumper(with rear quarter panel sliders ) tonight after work.

P1010815.jpg

P1010818.jpg

P1010817.jpg

P1010822.jpg

tied in the rocker sliders to the frame on each side with 3 bolts and also made the rear bumper mounts tie into the rear cross member with 2 more bolts on each side

started LCA skids last night, welded some bolts with wing nuts to the front area so i can hold my discos up easily, instead of using bungee cords...
also fixed some wiring that got melted in the fire, pass front speaker works now...

Lookin good!
Any more info on this disco holder? Sounds interesting.

yah ill post pics.
i litterally welded a bolt to the bumper mount an then throw the disco up and then use a wing nut to hold it. ill post pics tonight when i get off work.
best part si that it was dirt cheap and super easy. i am running the JKS quicker discos if that helps...

need to swap in chromos before the reno trip on thurs. well i dont need to, but i want to .

pass side lca mount is banged up so i cant just weld the skid right on, sucks.

worked on the willys all day sunday. we mounted a stock 89 cherokee master and booster to the firewall. the push rod was 3/4 inch shorter than the previou one(no idea what booster and master setup it had , wasnt stock...) so i cut and welded the last 3/4 of an inch of the other one to this one and it fit like a glove...

then it was a huge pain drilling and notching the steering column mount but wer got it to mount. then we had some leaks in the system here and there, i made all new brake lines a while back.

we also replaced the rear pinion seal, it was leaking like crazy.

and started building a cover for the slave cylinder since there is a big hole in the floor where the slave comes up and sticks out, right below the gas pedal (previous owner was stupid for that one) the cover is going to mount to the tranny tunnel.

then we ripped out all of the carpet and the seats etc and started stripping it down for paint and herculiner.

i still need to replace the TRE at the pitman arm, and go around and adjust the shoes, before its sort of road worthy again though.

i have tons of plans for this build as well:

grab a ford 2wd t18, a scout t18 and build a 4 spd tranny that gas 4speeds with the granny low of 6.32:1 !

then grab a ford 8.8 with 4.11s and LSD and discs and swap it into the rear (prob spend 150-200$ onthis one) , and grab a 70s front dana 30 off a CJ5 with 4.11s open or locked (with discs- trying to spend under 200 on this one too) and swap out the dana 27 out front.
(i know the 8.8 is 5 on 4.5, i plan to get some XJ rims and get some adapters from that billet alluminum adapter company that sells them for 32$ each, then i can run XJ bolt pattern)
the willys axles are 55 WMS to WMS , and the 8.8 is 58 WMS to WMS, so i think the adapters adding a little more width to the front will help even it out.

i figure going from the 3spd t90 with OD (swapping in the OD next week) to the 4 spd t18(granny low) with the warn OD on the dana 18 and ill have a 5 speed willys with front and rear discs with 8.8 /30 combo and i like the idea of a cherokee bolt pattern and all week discs for cheap.

i hope that i get both axles for around 400 $total and sell mine for around 200 then ill be gonig to front and rear discs and a rear LSD for a net of 200$. right now im 4.88s open open, with the 3spd its too fast...

Dude- Who sells adapters for $32? I used to get them from weird harold's cool parts for like $45, but I think they shut down!

those 1.5" adapters (sell 1.25 too) would bring the front to 58" WMS to WMS and the ford 8.8 is going to be 58 WMS to WMS so ill add 3" to the width and get better axles, LSD, not as deep of gears (better for highway cruising than 4.88s, not as good offroad as the 4.88s , itll still wheel good by adding traction devices)

and ill get to swap rims and tires with the XJ. i plan on going to 33s or 35s on the willys when we finally swap those axles in...

oh yah, and i dont have the stock flat 4, i have a ford 2.8 v6 and i rebuilt the 2bbl on it so i wont be hurting for power like of the flat4 guys...

oh yah, and i dont have the stock flat 4, i have a ford 2.8 v6 and i rebuilt the 2bbl on it so i wont be hurting for power like of the flat4 guys...

I really liked the 2.8l in my old b2. I never felt what it was like in stock form as i bought the truck with a chopped top, interior stripped and with 39" tires, but when i took it down to 35's that motor felt great on the rocks and the stock motorcraft carb on it just refused to die on hills and steep inclines. I forget what the part number was on that carb but i can look it up for you if your carb isn't cutting it on the inclines...?

I really liked the 2.8l in my old b2. I never felt what it was like in stock form as i bought the truck with a chopped top, interior stripped and with 39" tires, but when i took it down to 35's that motor felt great on the rocks and the stock motorcraft carb on it just refused to die on hills and steep inclines. I forget what the part number was on that carb but i can look it up for you if your carb isn't cutting it on the inclines...?[/QUOTE]

yah even though i rebuilt it and threw the tach and dwell meter on it to get the best running conditions possible out of it, i wish it wouldnt die on the inclines or even just while going over esy rocks.

yah it has that motorcraft 2bbl in it.

i wonder what yours was running?

Back