• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Something new every day

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I'm not too sure where I picked this misconception up, but I thought the 97 and up XJs were only offered with the 6 cylinder in 4WD trim.

I recently saw a 2-door 4-cylinder 2WD manual transmission'd 98 in a junkyard in Reno.

Interestingly, it had an electric fan.

Did they just use the old 2WD beam front axles?

What about the unit-bearing offset change? Didn't that require different brake rotors too? If so, wouldn't that have required new gears or spindles for a late model beam front axle to run late model brakes?

Any of you guys ever seen one of these before?

Yeah, manual windows and locks.

The 4-cylinder still gets me though. I can remember looking at ordering an XJ in that time frame (likely it was a 97 or 98) and don't even remember a 4 cylinder on the options list.

WOnder if it was a fleet order?

I was wondering that too, but couldn't find any evidence of it, and it was black.

I'd have been more likely to believe the fleet order angle if it was white.

I've seen quite a few late model 2wd's.

I've seen all of that except the 4cyl (I wish I'd seen that)

Saw a 2-door 2wd 99 with a dealer/factory sunroof a while ago. That was a good day at the yard, there was an 88 longbed MJ w/column shifted AT and perfect taillights next to a few RENIX Limiteds with 242s and OHCs, a few mid 90s with OHCs, the 2wd 2-door 99 with the sunroof, etc. Almost every rare/uncommon thing I'd ever seen, all lined up in a row... except the 4cyl I wanted a d30 from!

Back