• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Somebody Stop Me, Out Of Control :D

xjaddiction

NAXJA Member #666
Well, the 5.2L grand wasn't gettin' it and I bought a 5.9L...

Now I know this is the XJ board, but as I've said before my family has grown now, and I needed a bigger Cherokee, with a V-8... AND, I just can't get myself to leave y'all. Been here too long for that. I have a bunch of parts sitting in the garage waiting to be applied to the canvas. So far the Tereflex HD 231 with SYE, K&N intake, Optima Red Top, and Kevin's radiator support have been added;

5-9er002.jpg

5-9er001.jpg

OH WOW! That thing is PURTYYYYYYY!

Thanks,

It's a 98, the only year they made them. 5.9L (that's a 360 V-8) in a light bodied ZJ. The thing is a monster!

Yes I'm going to lift it, no it's not the one in my sig. I've had a slight problem with buying and selling Jeeps lately...

The lift will be 4.5",RE with ACOS front and rear up to 6"es of lift with custom LA's front and rear. It will get some 2" wheel spacers for the 5.9L rims (I like them), and 315x75x16" tires (can't decide) Bushwacker ZJ flares painted to match and the ARB front bull bar with a Kevin's off-road rear bumper/tire carrier, and some kevin's sliders. I have most of the parts already. Just waiting to save for the LA's that will be made by Tennesssee off road.

This is an expedition rig for family camping and some boat towing duty. Mainly a Jeep resto mod that's not afraid to get dirty. Won't be rock Crwlin it though. So, roof-top tent, and I have a pop-up that I'm going to build this summer into a more off road worthy looking camper. Sub-frame with Jeep axle and Rubicon rims with 245x75x16's on there.

I'll keep y'al posted.

Nice, here is my friend's 5.9. Not as big as yours is going to be, but he kept the 5.9 rims and has an ARB as well. (only pic I could find was this one, none with his hood and door closed.)
n43700735_30295644_2364.jpg

Nice jeep my girl has one, I really want to ditch the awd, does the 231 case bolt right up?

thats a sweet jeep gary.... not a lot of good condition 5.9's running around thats for sure.....

ps we dont care if you hang around the xj board.... its where all the cool kids hang out anyway ;)

is that a chaparral boat in your garage? if so where did you buy it i used to sell em back in the day

I saw one identical sitting on a flat bed but the pass.side rear corner was toast. I should have stopped and offered 20 bucks for the hood vents!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Thanks! That white 5.9 is really nice!

Yes, the 231 bolts up. They just put a 242 t-case in a 5-9 with the stock 5-9 shafts last week. Mine has TW shafts and an SYE. Bolted right up to the tranny, But I had to change out the axle pinion yoke on the Dana 44 to a 1310, as the 5.9's have a 1330. All 5.2L have the 1310. Steering is more nimble, and the fuel milleage will increase a small amount.

Thaks Doug! Yes thats a Chaparral Deck-boat, that I bought in '05 from Jason @ Modern Marine. I absolutey love the boat. I wanted a MasterCraft, But the wife wouldn't have it. It has a tower for wakeboards, and on it's own throws a pretty nice wake.

As for bolting up. The 231 will bolt up if it's one from a Cherokee XJ, or grand cherokee. The 242 they put in the other 5.9 was from another grand cherokee, and he retained the slip yoke rear shaft. Bolts right up.

The 5.9Lers have a 1330 rear yoke, unlike the 1310 found in all 5.2's and the XJ's. So if you go with an SYE and rear d-shaft. Make sure you get one with 1330's at the axle.

Going up in heighth soon, with some accessories. Not going big lift till after summer. Need to save some bucks up for the remaining parts.

As for bolting up. The 231 will bolt up if it's one from a Cherokee XJ, or grand cherokee. The 242 they put in the other 5.9 was from another grand cherokee, and he retained the slip yoke rear shaft. Bolts right up.

most are 23 spline so anything out of an HO (91+) xj should do the trick as far as bolting up

purdy jeep.

Back