• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So you think you want a TJ also?

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
Fug, I sold my XJ some months ago and bought a TJ. Biggest friking mistake I ever made, what a POS this thing is in comparison. I dont understand? same name, the rest is beyond my understanding. In 60 K miles Ive had more repairs on one TJ than all XJ`s put together and all with near 200K miles. What gives?

They should offer a pink one, like a Barbie version or? cause this is one tough mofo like her, ran Bald Mtn yesterday and spent 1/2 this am with a sledge hammer in my hand putting things back where they belong. My friends 01exploder has better departure angles/ground clearance than this thing. This is one vehicle that is starting to make me physicall ill every time I drive it. Time for it to go bye bye.

Sometimes you do get a POS, ours have held up pretty well except for the 89 YJ with that damn carter BBL. My blue 97TJ has had new rad, waterpump, idler pulleys, belt, headlights, some body parts from T boning a saturn. Otherwise it has had pretty much the same stuff as the XJ. I like and enjoy both but nothing puts a smile on my face like the top off and good tunes... the XJ though for comfort, gotta get that evaporator done soon...

If they made a factory soft top XJ, I would vote it as the best vehicle ever made Id say. Ive never owned anything so useable, but the top off is nice and purely the only reason I bought it, kinda regret it on 110 degree days though. At least the air still works in the TJ... for now till the controls melt again.

one of the things i miss about my cj7 is the ability to remove the top and doors,you can't beat a nice spring day like today driving around topless. otherwise I am very happy with the xj.. was thinking about getting a tj before I bought the xj,but they want an arm and a leg for them around here,no matter how many miles or condition.

Funny, I never really noticed much difference in quality between my CJ, YJ, both XJ's, and my TJ. Except for the friggin Peugot tranny and the POS carb in the YJ. The XJ's wheeled much better in stock form than the CJ or YJ did when they were stock. I haven't had the TJ long enough to have any problems with it, just a couple of emissions codes that were fixed under warranty. My biggest gripe about the TJ is the stupid a$$ skid plate (shovel). Why build a vehicle meant to go off road and then hang the trans mount/skid plate way the heck down there. And then they designed the leading edge of the skid so that it digs a trench whenever it hits the ground. Geez!

dyna said:
Fug, I sold my XJ some months ago and bought a TJ. Biggest friking mistake I ever made, what a POS this thing is in comparison.

Thats a strange statement considering they are basically the same as far as mechanics and electrical. Id say you got a lemon or got one that was poorly cared for. What kind of problems have you had?

If it makes you feel better i really really want an Tj "unlimited". I only know one guy who really got a lemon wrangler. Well two guys maybe. Both were '97s. One of the reasons its not the end of the world the new JK doesnt have a diesel yet. Cause i woulda been to scare to buy one. Hopefully it will have the mercedes diesel from the bluetec 300 series benzo. Me wants badly.

Ray H said:
Thats a strange statement considering they are basically the same as far as mechanics and electrical. Id say you got a lemon or got one that was poorly cared for. What kind of problems have you had?
This is with 0 off roading as of yet and 48K miles . D35 rear cratered when carrier bearings went south, IAC,TPS, upstream 02 sensor, Front rotors warping causing massive death wobble upon brake application, bent tie rod after hitting a pine cone doing 50 mph, fuel guage intermitten failure, hood latches,inside door latches broke, seat belts dont retract getting stuck in door latch constantly, radiatior seam blew out, rear most U joint, Heat/air fan controls burned up. After spending some time over at jeepforum it seems this stuff is pretty typical. Yes I realize its a a vehicle that isnt supposed to be perfect whatever that is supposed to mean,ther than a piss poor excuse for lack of quality, but get serious D/C. With the exception of 2 bad radiators in my XJ`s nothing EVER broke or left me stranded. Simply not cut from the same cloth, no way.

Back