• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I got my XJ, now what?

I have the exact same situation as you. My uncle gave me a bone stock '91 XJ free because it didn't run (needed a new engine). I work part time and go to school so my budget was tight, and I wanted something that would double as a weekend wheeler / daily driver. This is what a whole summer's worth of paychecks got me:
IMG_3989.jpg

Running a 3.5" Tuff Country lift, with a 1.5" rear shackle so 5" rear lift, 33x12.5 Maxxis Bighorns, Swaybar Disconnects, Adjustable track bar, Bushwackers, and custom home made front and rear bumpers (made for my Senior Project at school).

I have been running everything but the bumpers for almost a year now, no problems at all. Even when I go wheeling. The Maxxis Bighorns are GREAT tires, they do not wear fast on the pavement at all, and they provide more than excellent traction offroad. As for lift kits, my Tuff Country lift is considered "cheap", but hasn't failed me yet in almost a year's worth of daily driving and weekend wheeling.

P.S: Yeah, I bet you're wondering why my front passenger flare is not attatched. That is because I am missing bump-stop extensions, so my tires flew up into the wheel wells when I jumped it and ripped it right out. GET BUMP STOP EXTENSIONS.
IMG%5D

Last edited:
It's a JEEP, drive it to the wheel fall off. Fix it and drive it some more. Keep an eye out for parts and you will find them CHEEP. There were 2 million (made up number) XJ made. Someone is always junking or upgrading or just pooping out on a project and sell stuff dirt cheep.
I got my NV 4500 (in buckets) cheep because the dude went with a six speed and a 4 to 1 case. You just got to keep your ear to the ground.
Get some recovery points and use the jell out of them. It's a Jeep, use it or get some rice burner.

Nice Jeep. I would say before you do anything make sure it doen't need anything else. Once that's covered get a highlift and an assortment of shackles and straps and front and rear tow points. Get a 3" Rusty's or Rough Country adda leaf lift. Both brands have there ins and outs but they are both cheap and both a decent starter kit. I personally would not buy RC leaf springs though, I have seen several brand new packs dearch in about three months. If you have the $ just go with RE and your done. Pull the rear swaybar off if you have one and the front if you don't mind how it drives, but you may want to keep the front one and add disconnects. Unless you see a lot of mud I would go with BFG AT's. They last a lot longer than muds and do the rocks very well. If you go mud go with the Big Horns. Stick with 31's to keep your gearing if you have the common 3.55's. MPGs stay much better. If you play in the rocks you realy need a gas tank skid and rock rails. If you can't make them shop around and find the best ones in your budget. The 35 is an OK axle with 31's just don't get bouncing while your on the gas or SNAP! Don't do it with the front wheels cranked to either side either, or you'll snap the front axle u-joint. Don't go higher than you have to, keep the gravity low as possible. Have fun!

Thanks everyone for the help! It's been very useful.

I'm 90% sure my dad will buy me the BFG Mud Terrains I want. And around here I need Mud terrains, I went out to a local spot first ride with the Jeep, and it was muddy on a hot 70degree day. I slid a few times but the part time with my bald tires worked great.

One question I do have is, how fast is to fast for bouncing around? I was moving 5mph or so on constand dips (dips were different on both sides) so I was bouncing all over the place...

Also, what makes an RD lift better/more money than a Rough country? I WILL spend the extra money if it's worth it, otherwise I wont.

Again thanks for all the help.

EDIT: What's the difference in there RE lift kits?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_803.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16301_818.htm

Last edited:
xtimmax said:
That would be a dana 35

BEWARE: d35 nazis freqeunt this site.

Don't spend money on the Dana 35. It's a TURD. Oh, don't spend money on Rusty's, his stuff is crap too. RE's stuff is hammer tested, works fine.

I'd go around 3" and 31's. Start shopping the junkyards for a 44.

Factory hitch in the rear, and some Custom 4x4 or stock tow hooks up front.

Btw 31" tires will fit without a lift. Get you 31's and your buddys rims. They will probably have less backspacing so some minor trimming might be needed. Spend your money on getting your rig in great shape. Tune it, clean the throttle body and AIS/IAC motor, change all the fluids, put a new crankshaft position sensor, fix any leaks, fix anything the brakes need and replace the u-joints

BTW if you have questions about trimming let me know. I have done a bunch of trimming with stock flares. 33" tires fit without a lift if proper trimming/cutting is done.

lfview_sm.jpg
lfflex_sm.jpg
filledgap_sm.jpg

rearflex_sm.jpg
RearFlareLeft1_sm.jpg
RearFlareLeft2_sm.jpg

Wilder
rearfender0031.jpg

cutfender002.jpg

MJ01.jpg

MJ03.jpg

Since you are on a budget just put some WJ LCA's on, get some adjustable UCA's, Do a 2" budget boost and a good trackbar.

I have one XJ that has full length RE add a leafs stock shocks with the rear mounts raised. In the front it has ZJ Up Country coils a 3/4" spacer and 2 stock isolaters. I lowered the front shock mounts and added 1" longer travel shocks. The fenders fit 33" tires but I normally have 31" tires on it. I lifted it 9 years ago and have about 3" of lift still. The rear started out with 3.5" of lift and it settled to 3" after wheeling a few times. I have trimmed the LCA mounts and by the trackbar mount for the extra droop. It still runs stock arms and a stock trackbar... I just use moog problem solver bushing in the arm and adjusted the steering stops some.

Here is a picture of it with 33" tires on it.

DDon33s.jpg

Since you are still in school take a Metal shop class and build your own bumpers and rockrails...

rr1.jpg

rr2.jpg

Picture20008.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to jeeps! here's what you need to do: Go wheel.
The stock rig will handle a lot of trailriding. Find a friend with a stock/mildly built rig to go with you. Closely matched rigs are cool, because one of you isn't holding the other up, and neither of you is libel to lead the other into big trouble.
Install tow hooks and a tow hitch( this is the first priority). With 200k miles, you probably need shocks(this explains the bouncing around.) Do some research and spend a little extra money. It'll go a long way.
If you spend a lot of time in mud, an aggressive mud tire is a must. One problem. They're all loud. As in "you can't hear the radio on the highway" loud. For a daily driver, the All terrains might be a better choice. You can go up to a 30x9.50-15 without a lift.
There are pretty simple stock/stock type upgrades you can do to make the rig more reliable/usable. Search under "one piece axle" or "non disco", "factory skid", "Upcountry suspension pkg","sway bar disconnect", "Stearing box brace/frame rail reinforcement", "ZJ tie rod", "ZJ discs", "rear disc

For rocks and hardcore (or as I say "Stupid") work, look into skid plates, but don't go crazy(Jeep offered T-case and front skids-both pretty good). If you play in rocks or trees, rocker/side skids are a good investment. If you like to, or can't stop yourself from, hitting trees and rocks, get bumpers. If it's all mud, the skids are not as big a priority.

Recovery is key! Your D35 is probobly a non C-clip. I wouldn't waste money on it, but I wouldn't swap it out. Since your in high school with a low paying job you wont be going over 33" tires and 31's seem about right. The axle isn't going to break on you as soon as you wheel it but it is a weak design so be careful! Check out google and look out for people that build lifts... its cheap and perfect for just being in high school. It will also teach you alot about your own rig. Pick up a haynes book and go to town. Rock lizard fabrications has a write up on doing a 2" lift on Jeep parts for under 80$ or something but you can always add w/e you want to get some extra lift. 31's will fit your Jeep stock and with a small lift it will look damn nice. It's all you really need for right now once you bring in the $$ you will know how to wheel it and afford all the goodies you want. LA's, Gears, tires, strokers... everything..

I am in the same boat you are. I went with a Rough Country 3" add-a-leaf for under $300 I think it was. I also went with the 31x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains. I'd recommend both of those and definately get a tow strap and maybe quick disconnects. The next thing I need is front recovery points in the form of a bumper. Talk to Grimus99xj on here about a Rough Country lift, he will hook you up.

Good advice Grimus is the man I just haven't gotten around to actually buying stuff from him.

Back