• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Simple Head Unit - just an amp with a volume knob?

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a real n00b when it comes to in-car audio and stuff. I tried doing some googling but unfamiliarity with the terms has left me cold. Did some paging through Crutchfield, no joy... I'm sure I'm not the only person to want to do this...

I live on my tablet computer. It goes with me everywhere, my music is on it, my navigation and maps is on it, comms are on it, etc.

The OEM stereo is crappy and I'd like to pull it out and use the tablet as the front end exclusively. The old stereo just seems so old fashioned.

I figure some good speakers and a head unit that is just an amp with maybe a volume knob would do everything I want.

Seems no such thing exists or am I looking in the wrong places? Maybe it is something that has to be peiced together (the amp part?).

Anyone have some pointers to get me on the right track?

TIA

Instead of trying to find an amp that will do what you want, I'd recommend a headunit that has a headphone input.

Just connect your tablet to the audio port and be done. This is what I do with my iPhone and it works fine. I like having the physical volume knob of the head unit.

If its an iPad you're using, you can find cables on Amazon that have the dock connector on one end and a male headphone and USB cable on the other. This would let you send audio to the head unit and charge with one connection at the iPad. This is what I plan to work out for my iPhone.

Good luck.

If its an iPad you can get a headunit that will control it. I have a clarion with a front USB input and plug my Ipod in and throw it in the glovebox.

look up motorcycle amps on ebay, it's just an amp with a knob on it and an input. I was going to put one in my prerunner to use my ipod instead of trashing my alpine head unit with dust and such, never got around to actually doing it though.

mit-75r-500-watts.jpg

I like the idea of the motorcycle amp combined with a bluetooth audio receiver. That would make everything wireless. I saw some 4ch ones so that would work for four speakers. Ideas on how to rig up a sub? Steal one of the channels and dump into another amp or something?

What I have done in the past is used a 4-ch amp, run the front 2 to the speaker and bridge the rear 2 (for more power), and away you go. Most have front and rear gain controls so you can adjust accordingly.

This is actually a pretty good idea. I am suprised no one makes these for the hardcore crowd. Im thinking like a 1 din receiver, nothing but a volume knob and an input on the front. Brushed steel on the outside... yeahhh

I've been looking at this stuff on and off this week. It seems the cheap digital receivers may be better choice pricewise since they give 4+ channels and bluetooth streaming for ~$80. The mototcycle amps are only 2 channel for ~$30 and you still need a BT module for ~$29 - $80 depending on what you go with. You would still need to purchase equipment to get 4+ channels. I also really want to avoid having to physically plug in except for when the battery needs charging (i.e. pop it in the cradle and go without fumbling with cables).

I like the idea of the simple amp more though.

If you do it make sure it does BT streaming.

I have seen a iPod with wires going from the headphone jack that were then plugged into the RCA jacks on a amplifier. Worked perfect.

Come to think of it, once the gain on a normal amp is set to a sane level do you really need a volume control on the amp given that the mp3 playing device has a volume control built in?

One thing I noticed with this unit is that it does not have standard Power/Ground hook-ups, and an adapter is not included.

Good catch.

Come to think of it, once the gain on a normal amp is set to a sane level do you really need a volume control on the amp given that the mp3 playing device has a volume control built in?

Exactly, you nailed it. The Ipod is the volume knob, you don't need anything fancy to do this. Very simple.

Back