• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shopping for a on-board air system

hanaxj87

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for advice...

A/C compressor conversion is not a option,since I added a second alternator for welding..

Must have a high duty cycle.. I'm airing 35 tires.

Nick

Go Bengals! WHO-DEY!!!!

Honestly the Electric compressors suck. Maybe with your twin alternators you could run a small "real" compressor. Hell I built most of my jeep with a little DeVillbiss, 1.5 hp 3 gal

Or look at using YJ accesory brackets, they mount things a bit differently so I think it could work if you relocated your battery.

Not trying to hate. What On board welder are you running? How does it do? Most of my welding is currently done with a Lincoln Ranger.

What On board welder are you running? How does it do? Most of my welding is currently done with a Lincoln Ranger.

It's homemade. Still in the (work in progress mode). Heres the start of it will be posting finishing touches soon. I welded some different scrape metal this weekend. So far it works fine for trail repair...

http://www.cincyoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4038

Nick

Go Bengals! WHO-DEY!!!

Bookmarked and subscribed!

OP - I would build an OBA setup myself, rather than buying a kit. The kits don't include exactly what you will want and you can't choose everything that way. Pick up a tank for $25-30 on craigslist or ebay (I got my 2.5 gallon tank for 25 SHIPPED! on ebay), choose a compressor that will do the throughput you want, choose a pressure disconnect switch that will cover the range you want, then measure all the fittings, go to home depot, and act like a kid in a candy store getting all the brass adapter fittings you'll need. I think I have about 200 bucks into mine and that's including a pull valve and chain and an airhorn, does everything I need it to.

Hell, you can probably pick up a 12VDC compressor that'll do what you need on craigslist. Check the pawn shops too - and if you know anyone who works at a wrecker yard or a big rig shop, you may be able to pick up a compressor on the cheap.

15 lb CO2 bottle? Love my CO2 tank for refilling tires fast. No loud compressors, wiring or plumbing to do either. No waiting for the tank to fill. I've had to refill my 10lb tank 3-4 times in almost 2 years. Lots of people in my club have em and more want them. I'd go with 'the source' for the cheapest route, I have it and it works great. Ultimate Air and Powertank are a bit more expensive.

Thought about just building one .. Guess I'm getting lazy just wanna buy a kit..

Havn't ruled out the CO2 tank.. In my area there seems to be a problem getting the tank filled. Maybe I havn't found the right connection.

Thanks for the input.

Nick

Go Bengals! WHO-DEY!!!

I have a 36" nitrogen tank and regulator sitting in my shop. Rather than selling the regulator, I should probably just buy a smaller tank and then I will have all the parts for on board air right?

That's the compressor I was planning on running. But I was going to run 2 450c's, and then use my rocker guards (2x6x3/16) as tanks, once I build em that is. I was thinking of putting them in the right rear quarter, and cutting out that little plastic cubby, and making a cover, with a couple 12v mini fans to circulate air while they're on.

That's the compressor I was planning on running. But I was going to run 2 450c's, and then use my rocker guards (2x6x3/16) as tanks, once I build em that is. I was thinking of putting them in the right rear quarter, and cutting out that little plastic cubby, and making a cover, with a couple 12v mini fans to circulate air while they're on.

Good idea lol

and if you do run that VIAIR system, can you run air tools from it?

say, for loosening those stubborn leafspring eye bolts...

Ive run my impact off my setup. Was enough to get a lug nut off/on. My setup is 150psi viair, 1/2 gal tank + sliders as air tanks.

I'd do the CO2 route. Find a buddy that works for a resturant and get a coke or pepsi 20lb tank from them. 40 bucks or so for a static regulator. 10 bucks or so for the hoses. Fab a mount in the rear where the spare went and you have a powertank type set up for half as much as the Powertank or others want.

I've got a tank but no reg. I found a bad ass mount that I like better than the Powertank mount, that I ended up getting a deal on. But still need to get the reg. Come on Christmas

Parakeet

Thanks everyone for the info. I have not ruled the co2 tank out. I'm surprised how expensive they can be.. I like your idea Parakeet.

The search continues....

Nick

Go Bengals! WHO-DEY!!!

I had a reg picked out that I was going to get but my laptop gave up the ghost. So I have to find it again.

Here's what I got so far...

Bracket to Mount it. I haven't got it in the jeep yet so I don't know how it will fit. I got it from a saftey supply website. www.lss.com I ended up ordering the wrong item and they sent me the one pictured. I even told the lady it was my fault that I ordered the wrong item. It was pricey if I remember right.

IMAGE_243.jpg

Tank with a good Hydrostat. I painted it a nice parakeet green. It should go with my red rig nicely.

IMAGE_205.jpg

I also found a coiled hose at harbor frieght for 3 bucks I just need to put ends on it. I've also painted the mount black cause the red looked horrible next to the green.

IMAGE_242.jpg

I just need a reg and to fill up the tank. If I did it again I wouldn't even worry about painting it I would just exchange the tank, rather than have to wait for them to fill it.

Parakeet

looks like you took the stock AC compressor out and put a 2nd alternator there? That's what I did and I mounted a York compressor next to the 2nd alternator so I have OBA and OBW as well. It wasn't to bad I just had to move the battery to the drivers side to get room for the York.

Bracket to Mount it. I haven't got it in the jeep yet so I don't know how it will fit. I got it from a saftey supply website. www.lss.com I ended up ordering the wrong item and they sent me the one pictured. I even told the lady it was my fault that I ordered the wrong item. It was pricey if I remember right.

Parakeet

please tell me you do not plan on driving with a 20lb tank held in place with a rubberband!!!
seriously, that tank MUST be mounted securely with steel brackets or at the least a ratchet tie down strap.
think what will happen if the rubber band slips or breaks while driving & the tank bounces around inside your jeep, or worse breaks off the valve & turns into a torpedo! :wow:

please tell me you do not plan on driving with a 20lb tank held in place with a rubberband!!!
seriously, that tank MUST be mounted securely with steel brackets or at the least a ratchet tie down strap.
think what will happen if the rubber band slips or breaks while driving & the tank bounces around inside your jeep, or worse breaks off the valve & turns into a torpedo! :wow:

Yeah My tool box did that monday when I went from 60-0 in less than a second! :eek: The ratchet strap holding it down was not sufficient at holding it for such a hard impact.

Hey Nick IRO has a Kit that looks pretty slick!

looks like you took the stock AC compressor out and put a 2nd alternator there? That's what I did and I mounted a York compressor next to the 2nd alternator so I have OBA and OBW as well. It wasn't to bad I just had to move the battery to the drivers side to get room for the York.

you need to explain that a little more maybe some pictures?

i have the viair 450C system and love it. it has the 450 constant duty compressor and fills my 35s quite quickly for a 12 volt setup- under 5 min each. i can run air tools off of it, but since my air tank is only 2.5 gallons, the tank discharges quickly. of course with any 12v application, it runs faster if the engine is running

Back