• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scary S!@#

LOL -- more coffee.

Glad you're OK Kiefer, I'll skip lecture mode, mostly -- regardless of your skills with or without a swaybar, you are responsible for your own actions and their consequences on others. If any of you guys with mad skills and no sway bars end up killing someone by freak accident, be ready for your lack of insurance defense. I will fight for your right to take such risks, but you should be prepared for the consequences.

And why the hell does Kiefer's name come up "Crimson316" when Yella quotes him?? :dunno:

Because the original post was in 09, And i hope Kiefer missed out on some trim that nite :>{)))>

All i know is Im glad kiefer and the others are ok i saw it all happen it was like slow mo... i was mad then but ive had my fair share of stupid driving im sure Kief can vouch for that. Gotta thank the big guy upstairs for watching out!:angel:

I'm getting old. I remember agreeing with Led when I first read page 1. Now I agree with Troy, and I bet Led does too.

Same here. I run a sway bar on my current XJ, but previously I would always just throw it away and not care.

I still don't care :smoker:

I still don't care :smoker:
This.

Curious if folks who argue for sway bars drive any vehicles with Dynamic Control features. I shut them off when driving in any scenario other than ideal weather and conditions. Driving in rain/snow/ice/offroad with it on is super scary and harder to control.

What about all the folks that removed ABS cuz its sooooo dangerous for wheeling? Dont sway bars fall into the same category of safety devise as those two? No one is arguing to keep those activated...... :sure:

I have no sway bar on right now. I dont like it. wish I had one on, but cant afford the one I want.

I removed my ABS because it sucks to have off road. As for on-road driving I'm used to not having ABS. Most of our military trucks don't it. It was optional on our Jeeps so obviously it was deemed a necessary safety item by Chrysler unless you were willing to pay for it.

ABS, while supposedly a safety feature (I think its an idiot feature), is something that a driver can compensate for the lack of (i.e. by pumping the friggin brakes). Sway bars are not - there is nothing you can do in an evasive maneuver if body roll causes a roll over, or worse causes you to lose control and kill someone else. Like I said, I have no problem with you guys running without them, but be prepared for the consequences on yourselves and others if it causes an accident...

one a driver can compensate for and get exactly the same effect - the other the driver is at the mercy of centrifugal force and gravity. Nothing you can do with the wheel/pedals in evasive maneuvers will substitute for what the sway bar would have done for you.

- there is nothing you can do in an evasive maneuver if body roll causes a roll over ...

Unless you're Joey Chitwood or trained by him........ :D

chitwood1.jpg

LOL - lets see joey pull that off with a semi coming at him, or jackknifing in front of him! :cheers:

and for what its worth, I'm willing to bet that s-10 has sway bars front and rear :D

Sway bars have their purposes. I've drove a few of my previous Jeeps without them, and had mediocre handling. Now my current Jeep, no way in HELL would I drive around without my sway bar.

It's all in how your suspension is set up. Having leaf springs in the back definitely help the body roll in corners...but having coils in the back, that's a different story. If I attempted any sort of evasive maneuver in my Jeep ( coils in the back ), I'd be on my head in a ditch...now slap the sway bar on, and it feels like it's on rails.

I really don't see the point of not running one. Granted it's easier not having to disconnect them to go on a trail, but seriously....you're just being lazy. My sway bar takes all of 2 minutes to disconnect and tie up, and a whopping minute to hook back up. I don't know about you, but I like my Jeep to handle the best that it can....not learn to drive around it driving like s#it.

Sounds like the majority rule is sway bars are safer, however I'm pretty convinced in kiefers case his beeing DQed saved him from a roll. I was behind and watched it all happen. I could see the undercarige from how severe the body roll was but 3 wheels stayed planted on the ground.

Also after growing up with the guy ive realized he just has the luck we all wish we had when it comes to things like this.

I guess ill take.my chances with no sway bars like everyone else and their no abs.
Don't like it? Don't drive by me.

Sure it is. you're in foco :D
working on cars for a living you of all people should know that no sway bar is the least of worries with cars on the road.

Back