• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safety and legality of Jerry cans.

ren said:
Yeah, the blue ones here in KY. are for Kero, and are even marked. I believe that the ones for water are either white, or biege.

yep i have 3 blue ones and they say kerosene on the side of them, exactley the same as the red ones simply a different color but like 10$ cheaper hence me having the blue ones. drove from bay area to vegas went wheelin drove back, the whole time with it full never had a problem.

Yeah, my Kero jugs are made by "Blitz", also. Made out of plastic (thank you DuPont). Also use that stupid "no-vent" nozzle.
Only green cans that I have seen, are the old surplus G.I. issue ones (You know, made from steel, have a MONSTER size opening of about 5" and a "flip" style cap).

Hm - check this out...

http://offroadrecovery.com/category/blitzjerrycansandacc/

Now this makes perfect sense - both water jugs and kerosene jugs are blue. Hah?

Dunno - but if I'm in any sort of hurry, I don't want to grab a blue jug to rinse out a deep cut and find out it's kero instead of water... Dammit, kero bloody well should be a different colour! At least they're consistent on Red = gasoline and Yellow = Diesel...

Who sells the mil-spec cans these days? Only place I've seen them was at a local surplus store and they wanted $59 each. Wasn't about to waste my lunch money on them, but still interested in locating some for my M38A1 build.

Try your friendly, local fleamarket.

Plays For Jeeps said:
So I was at harbor frieght today and they had just got a pallet of Metal Jerry cans in. $35 each with the spout!

Then my Fun-Nazi of a GF decided to point out the ever-so obvious safety risks haveing a gas can mounted on your rear poses.

Anyone else ever get worried about it?
Where is a safe place to mount them?

Of course I wouldnt be driving around with 5 gallons of petrol everyday. Only for trail runs and the occassional Search and Rescue trip.

Thanks guys!

I run a can mount that attaches to my swing arm over the spare.

It's easy to mount and remove. It's adaptable with some redneck engineering.

It only gets strapped on when needed for trail runs, camping, etc.
I leave it in camp when able but it's strong enough to wheel with.

Clearance can be an issue in heavy wheeling.

but I would rather have it hanging way out back, being removable vs. mounting the spare farther back to clearance the can next to the hatch like some set ups I've seen.

Future plans are to mount the can(s) on the trailer.

Tell the GF that it's a good safety equipment addition. People don't tailgate you with a fuel can out back.

Bones :skull1:

i like these. 2.5 gal, but convenient to carry.
Plastic GI issue and made by Spectre.

mfc18.jpg

Last edited:
ren said:
Only green cans that I have seen, are the old surplus G.I. issue ones (You know, made from steel, have a MONSTER size opening of about 5" and a "flip" style cap).

The 'flip' style cap metal GI cans are supposed to be for water, not for fuel use.

Later,
Joe

Plays For Jeeps said:
^I would prefer a plastic one but cant find one. I guess ill be picking one up soon.

I knew about the combustion issue with gas vapors I just wasn't sure if anyone actually felt safe enough to drive around with one on their XJ.

I just got back from Iraq and we had 6 on the back of each of our trucks...3 diesel, 3 mogas (unleaded gas), hit 2 IED,s never once had a problem until we took them out half full....-1HMMWV for the USMC.

Starboard M said:
Mount girlfriend to rear and put gas can in the front seat. Both problems taken care of. :gag:

LOL I agree to that. Could also buy her a pinto... aint they the ones that exploded on rear impact?

I already have a WW2 can with no rust inside. But sadly its going to the buyer of my DJ5.

Like stated. The flip up metal cans are for H2O I know that much.:)

If anyone plans on buying one at a flea market, make sure they aren't full of rust on the inside. Almost fell for that once or twice :).

Back