• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sad day - Jeep got smashed

american_zero

NAXJA Forum User
Took light rail to the Sharks game last night (go Sharks!) and while walking home from the station at 12:30am I found my XJ totally smashed by a drunk driver. Police were there and they had already arrested the driver and the tow truck was on its way. He was definitely going over the 30mph posted limit, somehow hit another car on the road with a pregnant woman driving (luckily she was a little banged up, but OK according to the PD), and then proceeded full bore into my XJ. Knocked it up the curb and the back end into a telephone pole. Totally obliterated the front end and wrinkled the right rear quarter panel with the telephone pole impact on the rear bumper and hitch. The chassis is taco'd judging by body panel gaps that are screwy. And here's a few cell phone pics from last night. I'll get more pictures of the damage and post it up this weekend. :puke:

Today I'll just be chilling with family and being thankful that the woman who was hit wasn't seriously hurt and that me and fiancee were not in the Jeep.

IMAG0446.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

Best news is that you & yours weren't in the Jeep when it got hit. Damn drunks.

Wait for him to bail out today and beat the f*%k out of him on his way out of the pokey.

Stupid drunks, what a waste of a good Jeep

Wow that sucks, I am sorry to see that your Jeep got smash up. Glad you & your family are ok & not even close to a tard driving drunk!

Sorry to see that. Looked like it was cherry!

You've got the right mentality though, everybody who was innocent (you and yours, along with the pregnant woman who was first in the line of fire) are all OK can still enjoy Thanksgiving with your families.

Looked like he was driving a nice car...Audi perhaps? I'd take him for every bit that he has once gets out!

Better yet, take him to court to get him to "restore your jeep to pre-accident condition". Demand he either pay for all your hours of work & the parts that will be needed to rebuild your jeep (or a new one, obviously) to the state it was in before he wrecked it, or make him work on it while you tell him what to do. It might partly make him appreciate the amount of work that goes into someone's vehicle. It's what I should have done with my old '89 when it was rear ended & totalled almost 10 years ago. She didn't have insurance & I ended up taking the uninsured motorist coverage through my ins. Should have taken her to court to get the rest of what it would have taken to rebuild a newer XJ.

Good attitude. Happy Thanksgiving, Glad to hear everyone is safe and you got to see an exciting game. The Jeep loss is tough, especially one you worked hard making it yours.

Go Sharks!

wow, that totally sucks!
your rig was super clean.
i am glad to hear that you & your lady were not in it when the asshat rammed it.
i assume it is totaled, right? you could buy it back from the insurance co & pull parts to install on another stocker.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'm totally bummed about losing it since it was pretty clean, low miles, and I was getting close to where I wanted to be with it. I actually have a h&t sye and 5-90 battery cables that I wanted to install soon.

The guy was driving a rental - just a cheap Chevy something or other. Tried contacting my insurance company today and they basically told me that since there are no injuries and the other driver is obviously at fault, that I will just handle it direct with the other insurance company. PD's record division is closed until Monday, so I can't do anything with it for at least the weekend.

I have something else to drive for now, but not sure what I'll do for a Jeep. Will worry about that later when I have this all settled. WJ's sure look nice. . . :) I also like go-fast cars, so maybe a WRX wagon because it can still carry my dog comfortably. I did sit in a 2012 JK at the autoshow last weekend and it was also very nice. Oh well, back to beer and food.

I had one of my jeeps totaled by a drunk driver a few years ago hope it works out ok for you.

What good is your ins. co. if they make YOU do all the work?

This is often the case if you don't have full coverage. Because his insurance doesn't have any money on the line (paying the full coverage reimbursement), they don't fight to get you paid. Time for a civil suit when they other guys insurance tries to screw you.

Im really sorry for the loss of your Jeep but it sounds like you have this in perspective and are making reasonable decisions for replacement. It sucks losing a good XJ in this chapter and we certainly don't want to lose a good member, but those JKs are sweet...best of luck to you.

Back