• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's WJ Steering and Brake Conversion - XJ / TJ / ZJ

RustysOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
With tires getting bigger and bigger, there is always something to upgrade. Rusty’s has put together a kit that will upgrade the brakes on an XJ, TJ or ZJ to a larger dual piston caliper. This kit also replaces the steering knuckles and relocates the steering much higher than stock, which helps alleviate steering angles with a lift kit. The new tie rod and drag link are constructed of 1.25" heavy-wall DOM tubing, which is much stronger than the stock steering.

WJ_Rustys_2_zps9530bc61.jpg

This conversion will basically replace everything from the inner C on the axle outward but retains the factory stub shaft. The bearing cartridge and stub shaft are the only things that are not replaced, but be sure to carefully inspect the bearing assembly to make sure it’s not loose. If it has any movement in it we highly suggest replacing it. All parts are brand new, not re-manufactured or used.

rs_WJ_Conversion_1_zps6f5c41fa.jpg

The steering tie rod and drag link consist of 1.25" diameter DOM tubing that utilize 3/4" heim joints, safety washers, misalignment spacers, and all grade 8 hardware. The system requires a new track bar and track bar mounting points to keep the track bar and drag link moving in the same plane with one another; this eliminates the possibility of bumpsteer, wandering, and other undesirable steering characteristics. Please note that this system requires ctting and welding for installation. The tie rod, drag link, and track bar are powdercoated black.

KEY FEATURES:

• Upgrades the front brakes to dual piston calipers
• Upgrades the steering linkage with stronger components
• Knuckle and steering design improves ground clearance and alleviates steering angles
• New track bar and mounts included to improve handling and strength

KIT INCLUDES:

• Left and right steering knuckles
• Left and right ball joints
• Left and right brake calipers
• Drilled rotors
• Brake flange spacers
• Brake pads with hardware kit
• HD tie rod and drag link
• HD track bar
• Bolt-on track bar frame mount
• Weld-on axle mount
• Weld-on sway bar mounts

PRICE: $1,325.00

Give us a call! number in signature. :cool:

Does the tie rod clear the diff cover with heims, full lock to full lock? I'd thought that would contact.

The steering tie rod and drag link are made of 1.25" diameter DOM tubing that uses 3/4" heim joints, safety washers, misalignment spacers, and all grade 8 hardware. :cool:

Still didn't answer his question? Ruffstuff uses 1.5" 0.25" wall thick dom which has an ID of 1". So what wall thickness? 0.188? 0.120?

The steering tie rod and drag link are made of 1.25" diameter DOM tubing that uses 3/4" heim joints, safety washers, misalignment spacers, and all grade 8 hardware. :cool:

You did not answer the question. I asked the the wall thickness of the tubing is, not the diameter of the tubing.

Sorry all I read the question wrong it is 3/8 wall on the DOM.

Makes sense as that leaves a 1/2 inch hole that I am assuming is threaded instead of using an insert. Also I know you said it comes with safety washers but in the pic it looks like there are no safety washers for the high-misalignment spacers on the drag link or are they similar to ruffstuff's safety misalignment spacers?

Maybe i missed it. Will this clear a 15" wheel? Every other WJ conversion i have seen needs a minimum of 16" wheels. I didn't see anything about wheel size stated anywhere.

It will have to have a 3.75 BS and a 15 will work. Thanks!

Are you sure ??

I called your shop, cuz your website says 17" rim is the minimum size needed, and the person who answered the phone also told me 16" maybe, depending on rim style, but no way a 15" rim would fit.

Also, this post says it comes with new balljoints, but your website doesn't mention them as being in the kit.

Last edited:
It will work with 15's with 3.75 backspace.

And I also know it will work with 15" Raceline monsters (aluminum) which are a 3.25 backspace

Back