• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Adj. Trackbar issues

You don't need that RE heim joint, the HD mount comes with the needed bushing for the track bar.

SV1CEC said:
It is amazing that so many people have this problem, I just discovered last Sunday. Due to our twins and my limited time, I hadn't taken my XJ for off-roading a lot, the last few months, since I had Rusty's lift installed.

Last Friday, I finally managed to find some free time, and have the rear shackles replaced, and the front bushings of the rear springs replaced. Admitedly Rusty had send me those parts to compensate for problems I had with the initial spring setup. So, I was very happy and took my wife for a brief off-road trip on a hill next to our house. We stopped somewhere for her to look at the view, and I moved the wheel a bit to allow the truck to start on a better path. I heard a noise coming from underneath my feet. I got out and ask her to move the wheel as I was looking under the truck. Imagine my horror when I saw that the heim joint was so loose that you could see the upper part move in its lower part.

Now, please consider that I had that lift installed last October, so it is less than 6 months old. I also had clarified with Rusty, that I prefer to pay more money than have to change parts again and again. Living in Athens Greece, has its shortcomings when shopping for our favorite truck.

I am really pissed off with Rusty. I asked him to replace the heim end and the mount with its heavy duty ones. He denied, saying that if I had upgraded at purchase time, I would have paid the additional 89$. However, at the time of purchase, I didn't know that the heim joint will fail after six months (with almost no off-road time), nor did I know that this is a common problem. I even suggested that we split the cost of the upgrade, since I didn't want to have to replace another heim joint (which he was willing to send me for free) after another 6 months. He also denied that too.

This is probably the last he will see of my business.

Rgds

Are you sure your talking about a heim joint and not the TRE? You lost me where you stated " it's upper part moving in it's lower part". That sounds like a TRE.

JnJ said:
Are you sure your talking about a heim joint and not the TRE? You lost me where you stated " it's upper part moving in it's lower part". That sounds like a TRE.

Well, I guess apologies are in order. English is not my native language, so I am not that good with the technology terms. I am talking about that ball-joint-like thing, which attaches with a nut on the frame mount. How do you call it? Heim or TRE (whatever that stands for)?

Does it look like this SV1CEC?

Project96_004.jpg

PhatXJ said:
Oh, okay, never mind :)

When I upgraded my track bar from that to the HD mount I have now, he next day aired the end conversion for free because I told him I couldn't finish my lift without it.

Guess I lucked out there.

Fat, I was talking to SV1CEC, not you. That is not a TRE. :)

PhatXJ said:

Project96_004.jpg

It certainly does not look like your trackbar mount, but yes, it looks like the joint used in the pitman arm.

At the moment, I am waiting for the HD mount and bushing end to arrive, to have them installed and forget about this crappy thing. I would certainly hate to have the TRE snap at some removed location on a mountain.

OK, back to the thread to look again at your picture, imagining how my trackbar will be in a while.

Rgds

Oh, yes, and the name is John.

PhatXJ said:

By the way, can you please explain me your steering setup? I would love to have something like that on my truck. Any info would be sincerely appreciated.

E-mail me, if you want, at [email protected]

Rgds and many tnx

Hey John, my steering setup itself is actually just stock. I have a drop pitman arm somewhere around 2" over stock or so and thats about it besides the Adj. Trackbar and HD mount and bushing type end. I also slipped a section of tubing over my tie rod, thats why it looks different, eventhough this may not be the smartest thing to do :D Instead of the tie rod being the weakest point and just bending, I now run the risk of blowing the TRE's because the TR itself is so much stronger, but oh well for now :)

I have more pics probably in here somewhere: http://myweb.cableone.net/twizum007/redb/

Or in my site somewhere, the link is below.

:cheers:

PhatXJ said:
Hey John, my steering setup itself is actually just stock. I have a drop pitman arm somewhere around 2" over stock or so and thats about it besides the Adj. Trackbar and HD mount and bushing type end. I also slipped a section of tubing over my tie rod, thats why it looks different, eventhough this may not be the smartest thing to do :D Instead of the tie rod being the weakest point and just bending, I now run the risk of blowing the TRE's because the TR itself is so much stronger, but oh well for now :)

I have more pics probably in here somewhere: http://myweb.cableone.net/twizum007/redb/

Or in my site somewhere, the link is below.

:cheers:

I was actually browsing your site a few days ago.

Could we probably take this discussion off this thread, I need to ask you a few questions, regarding your dopped down brackets.

My e-mail is [email protected], please e-mail me.

Tnx and Rgds

Back