• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusties good or bad

I have finally gotten rid of all my Rustys stuff.

It is very entry level stuff, if you just want to look good at the mall, and dont care hwo your rig rides, then it might work for you.

My instincts have not failed me on this:clap: I always felt sketchy about the brand but wanted some more expirienced input on it. while im here in ks i wont be doing any heavy off roading as there really isnt much here to do to begin with but im no mall crawler either so Its a hefty no for Rusties.

Since you're just starting out, and will be in the market for plenty of parts in the near future, I'd suggest you go red(pay membership dues). That will entitle you to small discounts from our supporting vendors(Rusty's is NOT one of them.... I think), which will quickly cover what you paid for dues, and then some

Meh...I had Rusty's Longarms and Leafs on my XJ...when it was still an XJ.

Longarms and Leafs worked great for me...and I put my rig through paces 95% of NAXJA never will thiers.

Either way...I would say shop elsewhere (that was the only Rustys stuff I had on my rig).

Though if Rubicon Express truly did get bought out by 4WP...I would steer away from them too.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion about any product, but it would be nice if you could back it up with a logical reason.
Bashing RE because you don't like 4wp is rather silly.

BTW,
4WP is owned by TransAmerican.

TransAmerican owns RE, not 4WP......and they have grown the brand by making making a quality product, increasing availability, and backing the brand with an industry leading warranty.

And you what it's worth, I've had maybe 2-3 warranty returns for any RE parts since they became available again.

So if you don't like 4WP...don't buy from them.

Rusty has supported this club from the beginning. My experience with him was good. When I bought parts from him, I talked to him, but that was at the start of his business. Others have had bad experiences. I ran his trackbar for 10 years.

Don't go RE leaf packs unless you want super stiff. they just never seem to get a.good ride.despite.shackles and.shock adjustment. coils I've always liked by them.as well as.their short arms.

rustys I've had cap parts from before, but i didn't know what i was buying and the part woulda been crap from anyone.

Justin has run his xj through the paces harder than most of the chapter for sure. and his rig used to show it. plus he is a smart cookie.
frank builds stuff on the regular.
so both have good and respectable advice.
just like anything.else. buy it and try for yourself.

bit as an aside...
i.think 4wp is the death of anything good in the wheeling community.

Last edited:
The thing to watch with Rubicon Express is how far the ProComp brand will integrate with their kits.

RE is no longer making their once EXCEPTIONAL twin tube shocks - best shocks out there for the money in my opinion. What's taking their place? Re-badged ProComp aluminum bodied shocks that are trying to compete with Bilstein. How do I know? I just went to 4WP to buy the RE Twin Tubes for my MJ and had to settle for the $45 each ProComp 9000's because the $88 each "New Version" RE shocks won't be available until 2013...... (n)

As a former vendor myself, RE did some serious wrong to their smaller vendors when they tried to re-structure and then eventually selling out without ANY notice. Richard (FullSizeXJ) can certainly attest to this..........

Hopefully Frank/Serious Offroad will continue to have a great relationship with RE in selling their products.......

Your certainly entitled to your opinion about any product, but it would be nice if you could back it up with a logical reason.
Bashing RE because you don't like 4wp is rather silly.

BTW,
4WP is owned by TransAmerican.

TransAmerican owns RE, not 4WP......and they have grown the brand by making making a quality product, increasing availability, and backing the brand with an industry leading warranty.

And you what it's worth, I've had maybe 2-3 warranty returns for any RE parts since they became available again.

So if you don't like 4WP...don't buy from them.

Frank believe me I know that 4WP is owned by TransAmerican.

There are things I would buy from 4WP, and many things I wouldn't (mainly since I go through Discount Tire for tires/wheels and many other things they carry are over-priced).

I guess my beef comes from dealing (through Discount when I worked for them) with 4WP and with having known friends/family/aquaintances that have gotten bent over by them (though they do have a pretty good tire policy).

Things like:

- Charging insane amount of money to literally bolt on parts, only to screw that up and refuse to fix blatantly wrong installations.

- Not honoring warranties that both their site AND both their sales crew / managers told the customer to their face.

- Sales/Installation Techs and managers being rude beyond belief, and only getting worse when you prove them wrong.

-When they DID actually warranty a parts, 9 times out of 10 the part took months to get in if it ever got in at all. I don't know if I've ever heard so many excuses from a company (that made it obvious they just didn't want to actually warranty the damn part) as to why the part isn't, hasn't, or won't "arrive on time". I actually have known a few techs over the years that used to work at 4WP. They actually told me outright on stuff like that it was many a time done on purpose by a manager/tech in the hope they didn't actually have to pay for or warranty a part, have to re-install it, etc. Two of the tech's actually quit because they said the couldn't work for people willing to pull crap like that.

To me, thats enough to not warrant buying from a company.

Now with that, that was some time ago. I know not ALL 4WP are the same but after this having happened between three different 4WP stores...a bad taste has been left in my mouth.

To be very honest, I would much prefer someone buy from you when it comes to parts. I like trying to support the "small guy" that will make sure things are right. I'm not sure if you use RE parts, but either way that was my $.02.

Once my buggy is done later this year, I have several people lined up wanting me to do some serious work for them. With that I refuse to use inferior parts and refuse to use companies with inferior service. Ballistic Fab has some really great parts...but I won't be suprised when they go under just due to inferior service.

If RE parts stay the same quality and the service is good, kudos to them.

But it seems to be all to common that a company will buy out another, and the bought out companies product comes second to the main line, in this case ProComp.

There are SO many companies out there now that you can get most of anything RE made/makes with just as good of quality if not better. Its not the days anymore when I first started out where the big two (Rustys and RE) were the big boys. :D

The thing to watch with Rubicon Express is how far the ProComp brand will integrate with their kits.

RE is no longer making their once EXCEPTIONAL twin tube shocks - best shocks out there for the money in my opinion. What's taking their place? Re-badged ProComp aluminum bodied shocks that are trying to compete with Bilstein. How do I know? I just went to 4WP to buy the RE Twin Tubes for my MJ and had to settle for the $45 each ProComp 9000's because the $88 each "New Version" RE shocks won't be available until 2013...... (n)

As a former vendor myself, RE did some serious wrong to their smaller vendors when they tried to re-structure and then eventually selling out without ANY notice. Richard (FullSizeXJ) can certainly attest to this..........

Hopefully Frank/Serious Offroad will continue to have a great relationship with RE in selling their products.......
pro comp brand will not be integrating anything into rubicon express except maybe the procomp pro runner shock which is actually a really good shock in comparison to bilstein. RE had some major issues for sure but now transamerican as a whole has definitely helped them out.

Frank believe me I know that 4WP is owned by TransAmerican.

There are things I would buy from 4WP, and many things I wouldn't (mainly since I go through Discount Tire for tires/wheels and many other things they carry are over-priced).

I guess my beef comes from dealing (through Discount when I worked for them) with 4WP and with having known friends/family/aquaintances that have gotten bent over by them (though they do have a pretty good tire policy).

Things like:

- Charging insane amount of money to literally bolt on parts, only to screw that up and refuse to fix blatantly wrong installations.

- Not honoring warranties that both their site AND both their sales crew / managers told the customer to their face.

- Sales/Installation Techs and managers being rude beyond belief, and only getting worse when you prove them wrong.

-When they DID actually warranty a parts, 9 times out of 10 the part took months to get in if it ever got in at all. I don't know if I've ever heard so many excuses from a company (that made it obvious they just didn't want to actually warranty the damn part) as to why the part isn't, hasn't, or won't "arrive on time". I actually have known a few techs over the years that used to work at 4WP. They actually told me outright on stuff like that it was many a time done on purpose by a manager/tech in the hope they didn't actually have to pay for or warranty a part, have to re-install it, etc. Two of the tech's actually quit because they said the couldn't work for people willing to pull crap like that.

To me, thats enough to not warrant buying from a company.

Now with that, that was some time ago. I know not ALL 4WP are the same but after this having happened between three different 4WP stores...a bad taste has been left in my mouth.

To be very honest, I would much prefer someone buy from you when it comes to parts. I like trying to support the "small guy" that will make sure things are right. I'm not sure if you use RE parts, but either way that was my $.02.

Once my buggy is done later this year, I have several people lined up wanting me to do some serious work for them. With that I refuse to use inferior parts and refuse to use companies with inferior service. Ballistic Fab has some really great parts...but I won't be suprised when they go under just due to inferior service.

If RE parts stay the same quality and the service is good, kudos to them.

But it seems to be all to common that a company will buy out another, and the bought out companies product comes second to the main line, in this case ProComp.

There are SO many companies out there now that you can get most of anything RE made/makes with just as good of quality if not better. Its not the days anymore when I first started out where the big two (Rustys and RE) were the big boys. :D
which store did you directly deal with?

Back