• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rollover switch...myth or reality??

1985xjlaredo said:
Fords have them they are safty shock switches. If you hit something then a switch is knocked loose and shuts off the fuel pump. I think that they are Gov regulation on all vechiles after 84 IIRC

Prabably a bit off-topic but in reply - I had a '88 Ranger 4x4, rolled it on its side, and the switch desconnected the fuel. It's simple to reset - just unplug the wire connector and plug it back in, and you're good to go. Biggest problem with that one is the location of the switch - it's in the passenger compartment, firewall wall, where the passenger foot can set it off. My wife did that twice in the last couple years while driving down the highway. Fuel is cut off and engine dies in about 10 seconds.

This sounds like the mythical inertia switch debate. Closest thing various models of Jeeps since 1991 had was the Auto Shutdown Relay (ASR). When starting the engine the ASD relay latches and looks for the distributor to spin. If the dist doesn't spin, the ASD relay trips and cuts power to the + coil and the fuel pump and kills the engine. But on a rollover, the ASD relay could get dislodged from it's socket and prevent the engine from starting. You can test the ASD relay by running +12V from the battery directly to the coil pos terminal. This will also backfeed 12V to the fuel pump through the ASD circuit. If the pump runs, the ASD relay is is hosed. If not, the pump itself, fuel pump relay, or the wiring is fubar. Worth a shot.

Well.... FWIW, there is a "rollover relay" in the under the hood fusebox. I know because mine went bad and I had to replace it. :jester:

crystalship1 said:
Well.... FWIW, there is a "rollover relay" in the under the hood fusebox. I know because mine went bad and I had to replace it. :jester:

That's where the ASR relay is. In the underhood Power Distribution Center (PDC).

xjtrailrider said:
I have witnessed a couple of XJ flops and they all started right up after the roll back.

Agree, I have too. And they should, unless something like the FPR or ASR gets loose, or a harness gets cut/shorted, many possibilities. Not likely, but possible.

Total myth, Ford is the one's that get 's crazy with the inersha switch, and the like to hide them, depending on the vehicle. Jeep? nope.

Back