• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing 16" wheels

metalgearxj

NAXJA Forum User
my 2001 XJ has the 16" wheels and as cool as they look i'd rather run 15" wheels/tires. does anyone know if there's any reason why i can't use 15" rims? brake calipers or such? TIA.

I switched from 16" wheels to 15" wheels on a 2000 cherokee. I don't know of any differences in brake sizes especially with in the same year and as far as I know 15" wheels were always an option so they should fit.

Chris

On the 2000 & 2001 XJ (the only 2 years 16 inchers were offered) you can swap down to a 15" wheel without a problem. :sunshine:

How high up can you swap? I am looking at a set of 17's off a grand cherokee and I think that the the black color would look nice on my black 2 door xj. However, I really do not want it to look all dub and getto, it is a jeep after all and still must look as such. I do not have a lift, and will NOT get one on this jeep.
thanks
Adam

XJadam said:
How high up can you swap? I am looking at a set of 17's off a grand cherokee and I think that the the black color would look nice on my black 2 door xj. However, I really do not want it to look all dub and getto, it is a jeep after all and still must look as such. I do not have a lift, and will NOT get one on this jeep.
thanks
Adam

as long as it's from a ZJ...
the WJ has 5 on 5.5 patern

You can swap up as big as you want. Make sure the Grand Cherokee wheels you're eyeballing are from a ZJ though. WJ and WK Grand Cherokees have a different bolt pattern.

17's look good:

xj17inchchromewith32.jpg

Last edited:
thanks guys, that's put my mind at ease as far as swapping. the 17"s look good too, but i like the tire selection and PRICE better on 15" rubber.

If I had unlimited funds, I would have a set of 33x12.5x20 or 22 BFG ATs
thus this is not my case, so i'll stick with the 15's

Back