• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix era brake upgrade

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if there is anything I can do to upgrade my brakes on my 89. I have heard works of wj caliper/rotors, is it really any upgrade? I have already swapped in a grand booster and master. The 89 caliper bracket can be unbolted from the knuckle , so maybe and adapter mount to run something else? just curious.

you can do the WJ upgrade, which will get you crossover steering and double piston calipers, and i think vanco makes a bolt on double piston caliper kit but its quite pricey from what i've heard. if you haven't already, you can do a disc brake swap in the rear as well.

For a lot less money than the Vanco kit you can get Black Magic pads and new rotors/calipers.

Call Blaine at Black Magic. Tell him what you have and what you want, what your budget is like.. he WILL help you. He may come off as abrasive or cocky at times, but he will keep your best interest in mind and is absolutely the authority on this subject.

[email protected] or give him a call (949) 310-2727

I dont want to mess with my knuckles, I have Iron rock offroad steering that works good, I'll check into Black magic, thanks Cal

I did a 96(?) booster and master cylinder swap on my 88. Pretty simple to do and I've been very happy with it. Plenty of info on here about doing it.

He's already got an upgraded master/booster installed. He's asking about a real upgrade now. :)

I love my Black Magic pads and Procentric rotors.

Just curious... what size tires are you running and what specific problem/deficiency are you noticing with the brake setup you have?

The master cylinder and booster upgrade is a good start, but beyond that there isn't a ton of other options unless you want to swap to the WJ setup as mentioned, or do a rear disc swap if you haven't already.

The whole "super special extra hyper pads and slotted vented winged finned rotor" path will probably end up not working much better than a properly working and adjusted factory setup if all other factors are the same, in the conditions we usually drive our Jeeps in. Most people just convince themselves it does after they spend a bunch of money on the bling parts... Been there, done that.

Tell us more about your setup and what you want it to do (or what it doesn't do now).

The whole "super special extra hyper pads and slotted vented winged finned rotor" path will probably end up not working much better than a properly working and adjusted factory setup if all other factors are the same, in the conditions we usually drive our Jeeps in. Most people just convince themselves it does after they spend a bunch of money on the bling parts... Been there, done that.

Experience dictates otherwise. Locking up 37's on the highway..

I have blackmagic pads with powerslot rotors and they've been good and haven't warped in the 4 years they've been on, my next thing is to get rid of the Dana 44 drums for some discs. Best kit I've seen for the rear so far is the TSM mfg. kit

Experience dictates otherwise. Locking up 37's on the highway..

Did you try it with 37's on the same rig with good "OEM replacement" pads/rotors? If not, then it's just anecdotal evidence.

Until we hear from the OP about what he wants to improve about his brakes, it's all moot anyway.

I did a 96(?) booster and master cylinder swap on my 88. Pretty simple to do and I've been very happy with it. Plenty of info on here about doing it.

That doesnt upgrade (or improve) the brakes. The root cause of problems is the brakes are inadequate. They wont stop larger tires or heavier vehicle well, which requires more pressure. Whether you cobble something together to generate more pressure or not, the brakes are beyond their scope. The calipers start to flex and divot under such loads. Yes, the booster upgrade "feels" better, but the brakes are still poor.

Think of it this way, if I were to stomp on the pedal for every stop, and put your face into the windshield, I could say "see how great these brakes stop us so quickly". Other than being unamused, you might say "no they dont, you are just applying more pressure/ quicker than normal".

Did you try it with 37's on the same rig with good "OEM replacement" pads/rotors? If not, then it's just anecdotal evidence.

Until we hear from the OP about what he wants to improve about his brakes, it's all moot anyway.

"oem replacement" means jack in this day of cheap oem replacement parts.

but then, i have my experiences, you have yours. i'm willing to bet mine have better breaks, though. =)

Back