• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing nss

WI88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

How much effort was it for you guys to pry the nns off of the shaft stub?

My '98 is being a pita and I'd rather not break it since it's like $300.

The shaft lock bolt is off the small bolt at the top is off it turns left and right but I can't get it to slide off.

Anyone???

Put the big nut back on so the end is flush with the shaft and use that to pry the NSS off the shaft.

My son boggered up the threads on his first try taking the NSS off. Needless to say it was a total PITA to remove after that.

it was pure hell and do not try to pry it by that nut, every time I have tried that I have sheared the stupid threads off. Fricken useless pot-metal casting...

Also don't try wedging anything between the split threaded sections the big nut was on, all it does is break them off. Don't ask :smsoap: :flamemad:

Your best bet is penetrating lube, plenty of cursing, time, maybe very gentle heat.

Why do you need to get it off if you aren't replacing it? Rebuild? Good luck, you guys deal with the same DOT-applied winter road car cancer we do.

Mine came right off but I would recomend you use a tooth pick and slide the tiny springs over them to clean them with a tooth brush and some needle nose plyers to do the other small pieces.

Got the turd off. Didn't break anything.

I pretty much did it like Kastein said.

Lots of patience, penitrating oil, firm prying, LOTS of swear words. (LOTS).
1 large pizza, box of wings and some soda (beer makes me want to screw off) and it finally came off. Now to take it apart and try and clean it.

The reason why is that it's giving me grief starting and most of the time it doesn't want to lock the TC.

....and a new one is about 3 bills...:shocked:

Mine came right off but I would recomend you use a tooth pick and slide the tiny springs over them to clean them with a tooth brush and some needle nose plyers to do the other small pieces.

now that's one I'm writing down!! The last time I cleaned one for someone, I spent more time looking for one of the springs than the rest of the job.

now that's one I'm writing down!! The last time I cleaned one for someone, I spent more time looking for one of the springs than the rest of the job.

Disassemble inside a plastic bag, it keeps the small parts from launching.

Drop the small parts in a jar with a little solvent and shake-shake-shake.

yeah, didn't have any problem with the dis assembly-- it was when I got the springs and started cleaning them, that one decided to show me how good of a spring it was.....

The reason why is that it's giving me grief starting and most of the time it doesn't want to lock the TC.

Assuming this is an 88? If so, have a look at the switch on the brake pedal. It's the white one up high on the pedal that also has a vac line on it if you have cruise control. It gets gunked up and stops wokring. That's the sensor the trans computer uses to know when to unlock the t/c.

You can check it for continuity with a meter without taking it off. It should show closed (low resistance) without the brake applied, and open (inifite resistance) with the pedal pressed. It can be popped apart and cleaned. There is a screw that goes in sideways from the passenger side on the metal bracket it's inserted into. Remove the screw (1/4" hex head I think) and the bracket slides to the passenger side to come off.

I believe the power for this switch comes off the trans fuse which also feeds the power/comfort switch, so if your power/comfort switch isn't lit up check the fuse.

Got the turd off. Didn't break anything.

I pretty much did it like Kastein said.

Lots of patience, penitrating oil, firm prying, LOTS of swear words. (LOTS).
1 large pizza, box of wings and some soda (beer makes me want to screw off) and it finally came off. Now to take it apart and try and clean it.

....and a new one is about 3 bills...:shocked:

Way to go Steve, Its a pretty easy job with PB blaster but you have all the WI rust too! :eek:

Just curious, what exactly is the power/comfort switch? And why did they remove such a lovely feature from late model XJ's?

Back