• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reminder: lube your hood cable!!!

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I just did "lil sis" today and "big bro" last week. If you have ever had one break you know why it so important. Whenever I start feeling any resistance, it's time qa lube!

I would if I had one.

I just did this on The Bride's DD last week. Because it felt stiff.

It was probably more a matter of the latch than the cable, but I go after the whole shebang when I do this. The alternative looks like a PITA.

What is the preferred method? Spraying everything with a white lithium grease?

I can't say it's preferred, but I use Break Free. I figure if it's good enough for my guns, it's more than suitable for a Jeep! My cables are 24yrs old and still operate smoothly and haven't broken!

I use BR too. Don't forge to clean and lube the latches and the bellcrank!

I prefer an aerosol dry lube, in an effort to minimize the accumulation of dust and grime.

I prefer an aerosol dry lube, in an effort to minimize the accumulation of dust and grime.

I've tried drylubes before, they won't flow/penetrate down thru 6' of cable. Breakfree takes a whole day to travel down the cable after multiple applications!

I use lithium grease on the latches and bellcrank, if I lube the cable I use a dry lube. Normally my cable does not need lubing, it's the bellcrank that gives me issues. Mine just sat for a month in the most humid rainy part of the year and it was nearly completely seized after, but I managed to get it freed up.

Back