• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Rocket

Yea he's such an porker I want him to keep some pork buttons on his underwear in case he gets hungry :D lol just kidding.

Well I haven't updated for a while, but earlier this week my rig got broken into. Someone popped the lock out and ransacked through all my stuff. The only things they took were my backpack for school and my Leatherman.
4u8u3agu.jpg

apymu6ub.jpg

aze6ahy8.jpg

y7agaseb.jpg

e8atynah.jpg

Looks like the dude wanted to take a nap..
So anyway that night I bought an alam and nw99xj came over and installed it for me. What a nice guy! :)

Other than that I haven't done anything.. To mine. I put a 4" lift on a yj over the last two days.
nu4aneve.jpg

Here's before
4ezu4aqa.jpg

And after. I'll pull it out today and clean it up and get a better finished picture.

Today I'm going to start another 4" lift on a red yj. Then I'll order a rear locker next week and probably start on a rear bumper :D

Well I got a little update. Yesterday I went to the steel yard to get some material for a back bumper and the jeep must not have liked that idea, because I started over heating. I limped it to the steel yard after letting it cool off for a while, got my metal, then parked in a big parking lot down the street and called AAA. Once I got it back to my place I changed the thermostat but I flushed the cool and system first. I've never done anything with a tstat or flushing the system so I figured I'd take some pictures and do a little mini write up for those other guys like me.

First thing I did was pull the old thermostat out and then put the housing back. I took the one out because it was stuck closed, so flushing wouldn't have worked too well with it not circulating :p
a8u9u9e5.jpg

The thermostat is located at the front of the engine, just below the valve cover. You unplug the coolant temp sensor, and then unhook your hoses (be ready for some coolant to spill out. Mind had already boiled enough out that those hoses were pretty much dry.) and then it's just two bolts that hold on that housing.

So I took the only thermostat out and replaced the housing. Then I cut the upper heater hose and inserted a T coupling to allow a point to attach the hose to.
upy5eman.jpg

I thought I got a picture of that, but I guess not.

You take off your radiator cap, and in the flush kit comes this little extension that is supposed to direct the flow of water out of the engine bay. But I used my old upper radiator hose to help it clear everything.

Next you wanted to turn the hose on and check to make sure you don't have any major leaks. If you're all good, keep the hose on and then turn on your engine. Let it run until the water coming out is clear. DONT TURN ON YOUR ENGINE WITHOUT THE HOSE RUNNING! Unless you want to do more work :p

When I started out it was chocolate milk coming out as you can see above.

When it cleared out I turn the water off and needed to drain the radiator so that I could put the new tstat in and then fill it up again. Well I didn't wanna play around with the pitock valve, so I decided it was easier to get to the lower radiator hose.

To take that off if the radiator I just removed the air filter box. There are two bolts and one nut at the bottom of the box, pretty easy to take off but I took pics anyway :D

With that out of the way I was able to disconnect the hose and let it drain.
huduhe7a.jpg

I put in the new tstat and cleaned up the
Surface of the housing and the front of the head before putting the new gasket and housing on.
naqazupe.jpg

Then buttoned it all up and put a gallon of antifreeze in, and then filled the rest up with water. Went for a test drive and let it get up to temp, and she's good to go!

Well I finally got around to making a bumper
ymyva2y5.jpg
8unypu8a.jpg
hu8y5uqy.jpg
eqazuvy6.jpg

The spindle I got comes with the spindle shaft, and also a tube to weld it to to keep from distorting the shaft itself as much as possible. So I welded the tube one and reinforced and and then welded the spindle into that.
a3a4e8ab.jpg
5e2a8atu.jpg
ququryva.jpg
dyrezy4y.jpg
yhabuta6.jpg

So... I ended up getting tunnel vision I guess you could say. I got off work last Friday morning at 6am, slept til about 2:30, then needed up working on the bumper from 3pm til like 6:30am. Yes, am.. I was welding and grinding and cutting in my garage allllll night. That picture was after I was done, and after I had already swept like twice through out the night. I'll never grind that much in an enclosed space again... One time I looked up and it was like the air turned grey and it was just a hovering cloud in my garage.

Anyway, here's the final project
mevy8ery.jpg
sy9urugu.jpg
ajygahu2.jpg
evu2ava6.jpg
evarevyn.jpg

Re: Re: Red Rocket

Well I finally got around to making a bumper
ymyva2y5.jpg
8unypu8a.jpg
hu8y5uqy.jpg
eqazuvy6.jpg

The spindle I got comes with the spindle shaft, and also a tube to weld it to to keep from distorting the shaft itself as much as possible. So I welded the tube one and reinforced and and then welded the spindle into that.
a3a4e8ab.jpg
5e2a8atu.jpg
ququryva.jpg
dyrezy4y.jpg
yhabuta6.jpg

So... I ended up getting tunnel vision I guess you could say. I got off work last Friday morning at 6am, slept til about 2:30, then needed up working on the bumper from 3pm til like 6:30am. Yes, am.. I was welding and grinding and cutting in my garage allllll night. That picture was after I was done, and after I had already swept like twice through out the night. I'll never grind that much in an enclosed space again... One time I looked up and it was like the air turned grey and it was just a hovering cloud in my garage.

Anyway, here's the final project
mevy8ery.jpg
sy9urugu.jpg
ajygahu2.jpg
evu2ava6.jpg
evarevyn.jpg
I want

Nice jeep! I'm not a fan of tire carriers but you built a nice one!

Hey thanks man. I never was either, but on my chop top I had previously I had a place for the tire. But I don't want to carry a 33" spare inside, or on the roof so it only left me with one option. I figured I'd build it and use it for a while and see how it feels

Back