• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reccommend tools for shop

Check out Metabo grinders, I have gone thru several Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, Skill but Metabo's have a clutch and are only alittle more if you shop online, it may save you an injury if you get the disc wedged and kick-back.

You can buy inexpensive jacks but get some good sturdy jack stands with wide bases.

I really like the Snap-on ratchets and Techwrench torque wrench. For the rest Craftsman works great.

Welding blankets to keep you from burning paint or interior.

The student discounts do end right after graduation. The matco discounts depend on the item I believe snap on is the same way. if you register online with them you can get more stuff they are not showing you at school for the 55%(atleast more than they showed me). I registered with snap on and matco, I mostly purchased from matco. Ingersol Rand also offers a discount, most of my air tools are IR(however I didn't use the discount for thoose check out a Lowes if you have one near by). Like others have said you will really start to notice what you want/need once your working I thought I had a pretty good set up for about a week and then the real tool buying began.

thanks for your guys comments i know alot of you have been wrenching along time and i appreciate the knowledge i am receiving from this we really do wana take advantage of these student discounts i just went through my list and found som measurment tools a bluepoint caliper and mic i know for a fact that lately i cood have used a caliper many times just to wrench on my own jeep and with the discount its 35 bucks which is slightly more than full price for the china freight one that i had

we dont uy on credit i bought a 36 inch pry bar regular 108 and a ratcheting screwdriver regular 30 for 70 cash. what is your guys opinions of bluepoint calipers?

No experince with their calipers, but I have been underwhelmed by my blue point impact. I thought it was ok when I first got it, but after picking up an IR 2112 3/8 impact, the Blue points weaknesses started to show.

where do you go to school? or is this discount for all tech students? what is their discount?

I went to, just graduated, Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg Kansas. You just log on to the website as a tech ed student and put in your school. The discount is only while your in school. The thing I have noticed thru Matco is that only Matco brand tools is the better deal, dont buy things like thier impacts or other re badged tools, they arn't cheaper then anywhere else online. But for Matco brand tools they are about half price compared to regular.

Not sure where you are but here in Canada we have a store called Canadian tire and they sell "Mastercraft" brand tools.

Snap on for years hasnt been honoring their lifetime warranty, I know this because several of my family members are mechanics. They used to all use Snap on because of the warranty but in the past 10 years snap on has been getting cheap with their warranty claims. Everything is labeled "Abuse" and is denied.

However now all of those mechanics run Mastercraft. I wouldnt say its the same quality but its close and its life time no questions asked warranty. All my tools are from them and I regularly grab a ratchet and use it as a hammer because its the closest thing to me. I bring it in tell them what I did and they replace it. My step father does the same thing and hes a mechanic.

If you have the option I'd suggest them as they make great tools and have an incredible warranty.

I would buy a nacho cheese machine......no matter how bad a day of wrenching goes, nachos will make that day better. I have a nacho machine, hot dog roller and a beer fridge in my shop....it is more like a convenience store with tools...

Back