• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilt rear chrysler 8.25 axles

You gotta pull it apart and count if it is a 96. If it is a 95 or earlier it is a 27 spline, if it is a 97 or later it is a 29 spline.

No, I don't pay ridiculous prices for my parts.

The axle that you have bought, how do you find them?

I'd like to do the same. The problem in my case is I don't live in USA and need to buy online and do that it will be shipped to a warehouse.

I can think in going for holidays and take some time to buy the axle, but still have the problem to translate the whole thing to the warehouse (located in Miami).

The axle that you have bought, how do you find them?

I'd like to do the same. The problem in my case is I don't live in USA and need to buy online and do that it will be shipped to a warehouse.

I can think in going for holidays and take some time to buy the axle, but still have the problem to translate the whole thing to the warehouse (located in Miami).
More than likely he got if from a junk yard (auto recyclers). If Cherokees are common where you live you best bet would be to just go looking at your closest junk or scrap yard. Take a picture of your current axle for reference, and make sure you choose one with the same motor, and transmission set up as yours. There where three different rear axles offered on the Cherokee through out it's life span. A Dana 35 (weakest and usually in XJ's with antilock breaks), Dana 44 (strongest but very rare, and reported to be only in 87/88 model years), and two versions of the Chrysler 8.25 (a 27 spline version that is slightly weaker than the 29 spline version). All three versions will interchange (you have to swap the whole axle not the internal parts) with each other as long as the gear ratio matches your front axle (why you want to match motor, and trans).

scoobyxj : thanks for the info. Here are not common the Cherokees (or Explorer to get an 8.8. axle). They have been sold but as were expensives and with 'big engines' where the gas is pretty expensive nobody of very few people used them for off road. Most are in pretty good conditions and are not cheap (13-20K). That's the reason $400 an axle does not look so bad for me :(

Maybe my wish to know Tennessee and Kentucky's whiskey and bourbons factories have to be raised in my 'Todo list' to kill too birds with one stone.

im still deciding if im guna try and do this rebuild myself. a few guys say its not that hard. if im only going to replace the pinion and carrier bearings will i have to reset the back lach? or will this be a simple bolt on procedure?

You will have to - it's an 8.25, so just removing the carrier will require resetting the backlash if you aren't extremely careful since the carrier adjusters will likely move when you take the bearing caps off.

Doesn't the 8.25 use crush sleves? If so, be very careful with the torque on the pinion nut as once a crush sleeve is, crushed, it cannot be reused.

Do I have this correct? Over torque the nut will pull the pinion in too far and a new crush sleeve will be required.

Crush sleeve and carrier adjusters.
Try a smaller auto trans shop in your area or Suburban Driveline in Villa park. They might give you an idea of the cost over the phone.
I did mine about 3-4 months ago and it took about 4-5 hours in my garage.

Back