• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilt rear chrysler 8.25 axles

go to a junkyard and pick up a complete axle for 100-200 bucks. If it seems like it's got good bearings, bolt it in, then either drive on it till those ones wear out in another few hundred thousand miles, or bring yours to a 4x4 shop, I'm sure you can get new bearings put in for under 500, hell, can probably get it geared at the same time.

you can if you have the right tools and are not stupid. They're counting on you being the average customer that doesn't know how many cylinders the motor in their car has and isn't sure how to put it in 4wd.

you can do it..a brass punch can probably get those pinion race out...i know the 8.8 pinion bearing races can be removed that way...you just need the correct tools (like Kastein said) to re-shim the pinion depth, then pre-load the crush sleeve on the pinion..set up the carrier and back lash it's not as hard as one might think...if you were closer id' be happy to show a fellow jeeper how to do it

Replacing the axle as an assembly is going to be the cheapest/easiest option.
For 1k, you can buy enough used axles to drive it until we run out of gas

Replacing the axle as an assembly is going to be the cheapest/easiest option.
For 1k, you can buy enough used axles to drive it until we run out of gas
this is true.

8.25s I've bought (this is in the northeast where jeeps rot out before the drivetrain/axles die, YMMV):
29spline, 3.55s, brand new brakes, no cover, set up with MJ perches already - 50 bucks
29spline, rusted gears, for spare parts - free, I just had to pick it up
27spline, 3.07s, 100% working, just needed shafts - free, I was told I had to take the whole thing if I wanted the shafts
29spline, 3.55s, complete, bolt-in - 100 bucks @ the you-pull yard

... and there is one sitting in the yard that I frankly don't remember where it even came from, nevermind how much I paid. Has to have been under 100, I laugh if someone asks more...

Even if you "only" get 50k miles out of each, you can pick up a half million miles worth of used axles and just bolt em in one at a time before the stealership price is a good idea.

I'd probably only buy one and redo the bearings in it, or the one in the jeep now, depending on which is better though. 8.25s have side bearing adjusters instead of shims, so what'll need really amounts to:
* inner bearing & cone
* outer bearing & cone
* maybe pinion depth shims, but your current shim stack is probably fine if you can get it out without damaging them
* a new pinion preload crush sleeve
* a new pinion nut
* a new pinion seal

You'll need to adjust the backlash using the side adjusters till you get a good match for the existing pattern or the gears may be louder than before. So if you are going to lift it and/or put bigger tires on it, now is the time to buy a new gearset in the ratio you want, because you're basically doing almost all the work involved in setting gears up, might as well. If the carrier bearings are the only bad ones, not the pinion bearings, you can get away with just slapping new ones in and duplicating the existing gear pattern, which is easier than doing a full gear setup.

Thats my axle Ken, just get a used axle, takes longer to bring it home than install it, buy jeep parts with 900 saved

nope not talking about that one, I know where that came from.

i have bought 2 29 splines one open one tru trac for 100 and 75. so i would agree with the others that spending a g is out of the question.

No, I don't pay ridiculous prices for my parts.

From what I have found here it sounds like it is the carrier and pinion bearings. I took off the cover and all the gears look fine and I didn't find anything in the old gear oil.

Anyone know were I can get a rebuilt rear axle? Took it to a dealer and they said the diff bearings are bad and they want $1000 to rebuild it.
You bring me your shafts (as long as their 29 spline) and you can have the 29 spline 8.25 out of my parts Jeep. It has 3.55 gears so as long as you have an auto it would bolt up. It has roughly 115k on it, synthetic gear oil and no noises that I recall. The brakes are usable but I cant remember If I've ever replaced them or not. It's in zip 43811 if you want to google the distance.

Back