• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Seat relocation

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
1992 4.0l 4door, 4x4 aw4 d30/d35

So I need more rear seat space. The easy answer is: buy a bigger vehicle.

I wonder though, if there's anyone who has relocated their rear seat for more space between the front and rear passengers?

I have 3 kids and side to side they fit fine, but as they grow they're starting to have front/back issues.

I've seen a few threads about installing g. cherokee seats and installing bucket seats in the back, but nothing about re-installing stock rear seat parts further back, or installing an aftermarket bench that would seat 3.

Longshot, but I thought I'd ask before I put an ad. out for my rig.

-B

Not going to happen with the factory bench without a significant loss of headroom.
The floor contours up just under/behind the seat.

it could be done, it would just take a ton of work to do. just from looking at my jeep when the floor was out of it.
this is a quick guess of how it could be done
1. cut out entire interior from behind front seats back
2. remove floor, wheel wells and rear frame section
3. rebuild frame with a longer "flat" section
4. rebuild new tunnel for driveshaft
5. rebuild new wheel wells
6. rebuild new xmember for shocks
7. stretch rear axle
8. comp cut rear quarters
9. make new mount for gas tank
10. put in new floor

and that would probably only net you about 5-8 in. i'm guessing anyway

yup, fj60's, 62's, and early 80's (1991-1996ish) are all on the short list. Love to stay with a solid 4x4 platform.

Sorry but I would consider a Landcruiser to be a better platform then a XJ. Hell it has a frame how much more of a solid platform can you get,lol.

it could be done, it would just take a ton of work to do. just from looking at my jeep when the floor was out of it.
this is a quick guess of how it could be done
1. cut out entire interior from behind front seats back
2. remove floor, wheel wells and rear frame section
3. rebuild frame with a longer "flat" section
4. rebuild new tunnel for driveshaft
5. rebuild new wheel wells
6. rebuild new xmember for shocks
7. stretch rear axle
8. comp cut rear quarters
9. make new mount for gas tank
10. put in new floor

and that would probably only net you about 5-8 in. i'm guessing anyway

Wow that sounds like a lot of work when you could simply go to a junk yard and cut a section of roof and a section of floor from a junk yard xj and just stretch the Xj. Granted you would have to do something with the rear doors and stretch them as well making them longer, which would be nice. I'm sure this is more work then the OP is looking to do though.

Just go buy a bigger vehicle it's the easiest way. Unless you have a lot of time or a large bank account start looking.

Wow that sounds like a lot of work when you could simply go to a junk yard and cut a section of roof and a section of floor from a junk yard xj and just stretch the Xj. Granted you would have to do something with the rear doors and stretch them as well making them longer, which would be nice. I'm sure this is more work then the OP is looking to do though.

Just go buy a bigger vehicle it's the easiest way. Unless you have a lot of time or a large bank account start looking.

sure does sound like alot either way you look at it. if room is the problem i think another vehicle is the best option too

Sorry but I would consider a Landcruiser to be a better platform then a XJ. Hell it has a frame how much more of a solid platform can you get,lol.

I think we're getting our signals crossed...what I'm saying is that the landcruisers mentioned are very much on my list of vehicles that might replace my XJ.

My dad had an fj100 and a fj80 and both were very nice rigs. I actually looked @ an fj60 at the same time I was looking at the XJ.

I love my XJ, for sure. Just need something a bigger.

Time for an SJ!

SJ = full-size jeep?

If so, yeah, I've thought about that route, too:

lots of space
AMC 360
th400
dana18
D44's front and rear
power steering/brakes
leafs all the way around (very simple lift kits)
good parts availability
Somewhat "classic" status, especially with the 1975 and earlier rigs.

I also like that you can convert to TBI and electronic ignition, if you want to.

Here's a constructive question.

My rig's a Laredo, and as such, has the factory cloth seats. Would I gain any legroom for myself by going to an aftermarket seat like a mastercraft/prp seat?

I noticed that in the stock seats I sit on top of and in front of the the seat cushions, where as a suspension seat kind of "nestles" you into it. My wife has already commented that she'd fully support a seat swap, since her side (passenger side) is pretty worn out, too, I guess.

I wonder if i would gain a bit of distance from the rear seat (be able to move my seat a few inches closer) by doing that swap?

SJ = full-size jeep?

If so, yeah, I've thought about that route, too:

lots of space
AMC 360
th400
dana18
D44's front and rear
power steering/brakes
leafs all the way around (very simple lift kits)
good parts availability
Somewhat "classic" status, especially with the 1975 and earlier rigs.

I also like that you can convert to TBI and electronic ignition, if you want to.

Here's a constructive question.

My rig's a Laredo, and as such, has the factory cloth seats. Would I gain any legroom for myself by going to an aftermarket seat like a mastercraft/prp seat?

I noticed that in the stock seats I sit on top of and in front of the the seat cushions, where as a suspension seat kind of "nestles" you into it. My wife has already commented that she'd fully support a seat swap, since her side (passenger side) is pretty worn out, too, I guess.

I wonder if i would gain a bit of distance from the rear seat (be able to move my seat a few inches closer) by doing that swap?
Yup SJ's a fullsize jeep

You wont gain any more room with a suspension seat, there taller, wider and deeper. I'm installing a pair of Corbeau baja xp's in my cherokee, there definitely a tight squeeze. I made an adapter to bolt them to the stock seat sliders and they now sit 2"s higher, I need to some how drop them 3" as I was already close to the roof

It seemed like a plausible idea, but I'm thinking you're probably right.

I went on my lunchbreak today and checked out a set of prp daily drivers and while I was stoked on them, I have to say that they were more similar to my existing seats than I thought they'd be.

Is a ZJ, WJ or WK large enough for you? Otherwise, a full size chero with an LS swap would be awesome.

Is a ZJ, WJ or WK large enough for you? Otherwise, a full size chero with an LS swap would be awesome.

I've used msn Auto's car compare function, and the interior spec's are fairly similar between a XJ and a ZJ, but I don't think I checked the later models. Thanks for reminding me, I'll check those, too.

the only thing that makes me cringe with the fsj is the mpg's, but honestly, I think that's going to be my fate, no matter what I go with that'll fit my family

fj60......10-12
fsj.......10-12
fj80.... 14-16

etc...

When I work it out, even with todays gas prices it's only a difference of about 50-75bucks a month, too, which when I worked it out last night, was less of a hit than I thought.

Back