• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear drive shaft swaps

fsj-earl

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a ungraded lift, went from 4" to 6". I am seeing that my driveshaft is not real happy with the angle. I did get a used SS SYE but I am hearing potential issues with that due to speed sensor and the possible need for shims. This is an off road rig only, the only time it sees the road is pulling from my garage to the trailer and so on. Are there ANY direct swap in driveshafts that I can use without putting in the SYE? Thoughts? Opinions? Facts? Etc.? Thanks!

Oh, I have a 94 4.0, AW4, NP231 with 8.25 rear.

Or if you're on a budget, Iron Rock Offroad makes a hack and tap for $100. Buy the jig, drill bit and tap for another $40, I think. Then install a stock front driveshaft. The front driveshaft from a 5 speed is preferred if you can find it as it is just a tad longer. I've done two so far without issue and ordered another this morning for my new project.
I figured that if it failed, I could always upgrade to an Advanced Adapters SYE and a Tom Woods shaft and only be out $150 or so.

2nd the Tom Woods!

Back