• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator repair in sac area

frontman

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so the story goes i was doing some light wheeling this weekend and somehow or another my fan hit my radiator. Its a CFM 3 row only about 1-2 yrs old. I dont want to replace it if i dont have to. Do any sac guys know a place that can repair radiators. It isnt too bad just a nick but enough to leak out. Thanx in advance.

I would do an internet search.I had the same problem on the central coast.I couldn't find any in my area who would fix my brass one. All cried environmental rules .and just wanted to sell a new plastic radiator.

Hey Lucas, heard there was a radiator repair shop in west Sac but I couldn't find them (in march) so I ended up going to Western Radiator in Stockton on Roosevelt. But I have heard there are a few others in Stockton, one on Wilson way.

Don't think there are any left in Sacramento though. GL

I fixed mine using acid core solder and a blow torch on the lakebed in Johnson Valley a few years ago. It was less than a year old at the time, I'm still running that same radiator with no leaks. Took a bit of patience but it got fixed for the 400 mile drive home the next day. I bought the brass radiator for just that reason, so I could fix it myself if needed.

Ya looks like its what im gonna have to do. The quotes ive had are too high so looks like i will attempt a home repair. Bryan do you think the acid core will work on aluminum? Otherwise its JB weld

Ya looks like its what im gonna have to do. The quotes ive had are too high so looks like i will attempt a home repair. Bryan do you think the acid core will work on aluminum? Otherwise its JB weld

Now it makes sense that nobody will repair it for you. Aluminum radiators can't really be repaired well enough to charge someone to do it. Any auto shop has to warranty their repairs for 1 year or 12,000 miles.

No, acid core solder won't stick to aluminum. If it is a small nick, then the epoxy might just work. Just make sure the radiator is drained, clean, and dry. I also suggest trying some stop leak pellets after the repair.

Since you got nothing to lose at this point, I say go for the epoxy and let us know how well it works for you.

Starting the repair. I have exposed the 2 bad tubes. The first is a decent size hole, the second looks to be just a pinhole size. In all 6 tubes have been damaged. While 4 of the tubes dont have holes I am still going to apply jb weld to the affeted area just in case. For the 2 holes i am using QuickSteel epoxy.

Now i need some advise... Seeing as how the fan hit the radiator i am (and have been considering) taking it out. My question is since it is a 3 row and i do t use A.C. Will the electric fan be enough to keep the engine cool? I have a couple of stock electric fans and could if i had to put another in i just do t want to if i dont have to.

I think you'll end up buying a new radiator just to be safe.

bad motor mounts could do it, otherwise, i have no idea how it would hit.

Jon i just replaced the mounts about 6 months ago. Albeit they were oem they still look good. Only looks like 4 nuts holding fan on worse case i would just have to put it back in.

Ok so the quick steel didnt work so i used just jb weld and it has worked great. Thanx for everyones advise. I am still going to take the fan out but not just yet. I need to fab up some good mounts first.

JB weld worked huh? thats awesome.
Now keep some JB weld and water in your rig in case that stuff that is currently on there comes off at a bad time that way you can make it home....

Back