• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick transfercase question

biscuitboy87

NAXJA Forum User
can the fluid be changed?
does it ever need to be changed?
will the dealer have a NOS one for me if I go there?
its not broke yet, but man its gettting stuck more and more often...:(
thanks in advance for the knowledge
from snowy...lol...roseburg oregon

I'll jump in real quick before the flaming starts.

Yes, it can be changed.
Yes, it should be changed.
OEM? It's just auto trans. fluid. Pull the fill plug, pull the drain plug. Reinstall the drain plug, refill /w ATF, reinstall fill plug.

Yes it can be changed.

Yes it should be changed. I can't recall the intervals and I'm sick so I'm not heading to the garage but I want to say 60,000?

I have no clue what NOS means. I wouldn't take it anywhere for the TC fluid to be changed. Unscrew the fill bolt (now you know it can be loosened prior to having a TC empty of fluid and no way to fill it back up again.) Unscrew the drain bolt. Let the old come out. Put the drain bolt back in. Fill up the TC again.

If by getting stuck you mean that it's not going into gear then I would initially suspect an out of adjustment shift linkage. I would go that route first b/c it's free and easy and will take you all of 15 minutes max. If you search on here for "transfer case linkage adjustment" you should find plenty. Do an advanced search for threads involving Matthew Currie (he has one somewhere about the procedure and it's very well done and easy to comprehend).

Hope this helped a bit.

-river

thank you for the info.
i dont work on my 00xj...just the 73cj and 74cherokee. I guess i should have crawled under it and looked before posting...so if flaming is in order i guess i'll just have to take it with a smmile :)
thanks again for the information, it is much appreciated. I will def check the linkage adjust first... it goes into gear but doesn't come out of gear...but with 188,000mi its prolly about time to change the fluid n e wayz.
N
btw..recommended brand of atf?

Last edited:
Back