• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quake in Mineral, VA

I felt this in my office in Goldsboro

A Magnitude 5.8 earthquake was just reported 9 miles outside of Mineral, Virginia. RAW data provided below:

Magnitude 5.8 (Preliminary magnitude)
Date-Time Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 17:51:03 UTC Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 01:51:03 PM at epicenter

Location 37.875°N, 77.908°W
Depth 6 km (3.7 miles) set by location program Region VIRGINIA

Distances:
15 km (9 miles) S (179°) from Mineral, VA
18 km (12 miles) SSE (154°) from Louisa, VA
26 km (16 miles) ENE (58°) from Columbia, VA
54 km (34 miles) NW (314°) from Richmond, VA
139 km (87 miles) SW (214°) from Washington, DC

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available Parameters NST= 17, Nph= 17, Dmin=59.5 km, Rmss=0.33 sec, Gp=173°, M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=1 Source West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center/NOAA/NWS

Event ID at00lqe6x3

I heard about that. A lot of people were evacuated here out of precaution. Some say they felt it, I didn't because I think I was driving at the time...

Shook the crap out of Roanoke! We evacuated at work while the structure was inspected. Sat out in the sun for almost an hour:flame:

I have been told by several people they felt it.... I did not so I doubt it! LOL!

I felt it...was at work,,,didn,t even know what it was till later,,,,never stopped work.

Back