• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PROTHANE FRONT BUMPSTOP WRITEUP

I will just add some prothane for now but maybe later on get poly weiner replacers.
im sorry but this is just too good not to quote :roflmao:

so overall how do you feel about the prothanes? like on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being "the best thing you ever bought for the XJ"

:cheers:

im sorry but this is just too good not to quote :roflmao:

so overall how do you feel about the prothanes? like on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being "the best thing you ever bought for the XJ"

:cheers:

I think they are great. I am not sure what I would rate them, maybe an 7-8.5. I like them but then again when I add an inch to them they will hit when I corner so we'll see if that good(swaybar) or bad(harsh unlike a swaybar).

And I am really out of it. I have been sick for the past couple days so I might say some crazy stuff.

I guess if I make them all look like every other thread good tech could fade away. Didnt mean to piss you off there. If nobody wants me posting I will stop but I am only trying to help and I dont think knocking on me is very productive.
He's just joshin ya, man...:) Besides who says your tech is the only good tech, huh? I've got at least...ok, so maybe I have no good tech threads...:D

n1478550133_30046409_6906.jpg
Quit grabbin your weiner!

BTW, good thread, I've seen those and wondered how they do. I might start moving a little more go fast with mine (fits well with the terrain out here, lots of open desert)

He's just joshin ya, man...:) Besides who says your tech is the only good tech, huh? I've got at least...ok, so maybe I have no good tech threads...:D

I did not say mine was the only good tech. I just hate doing threads trying to help people that never get seen again... Like that cut and fold one I did ha ha. Well anyway its all good man.

Quit grabbin your weiner!

BTW, good thread, I've seen those and wondered how they do. I might start moving a little more go fast with mine (fits well with the terrain out here, lots of open desert)

I got that pic from the google so not my weiner nor is it my hand :wow:

I picked up a set of the 10.5"s so I could have two sets, one for trails(3 ribs) and one for jumping(4 ribs). I had to drill about 20 1/2 holes in them to soften them up, before they where way to hard, now it's like landing on a cloud. I'm running 3.5"RE zj coils with f-250 front shocks in front(shocks work great for a set of free longer shocks). I have not made a 'landing' plate for them yet and not sure if I will, have not had an issue getting speared on the bump tower.

I feel they are money well spent, sorry for the poor post details, fighting a cold...andy miobi.org

So, you drilled 1/2" holes in them, between the ribs, to fine-tune their compression?

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

the pics are upright, i just rested my jeep on its nose, made this project a little easier.

thought i would share how i got mine in there.

I cut about an inch off the stock bump tower and replaced it with some schedule40 pipe, which just so happens to fit inside the prothane coil insert VERY SNUG which is what I wanted. I am going to put a round plate floating inbetween the prothane and the acos to give the insert a flat place to compress against. (just need to get the right size hole saw)

won't be able to test it out for a couple weeks as the rest of the jeep still needs assembly

I used the longest Prothane insert, which I thought was 10", and I cut one ridge off of them, which I thought was an inch, so mine are 9" long. (I did this a loooong time ago). I unscrewed the stock bumpstop, made a round flat plate with a hole drilled in the middle, and bolted it back to the bottom of the bumpstop tower. The insert floats inside the coil and just sits on the bottom.

On my rig, the lower coil seat has been raised 2" and I have 7.5" of lift with 12" shocks, just for reference. The 9" Prothane insert compresses 3.5", and there's about 2.5" of travel before hitting the insert. This is a very good modification, about as good bang for the buck as you could get with any mod to the XJ. They are very progressive and I never feel the front bottoming (emphasis on feel, ask Cracker). :)

Hitting the bumpstop while articulating isn't an issue. These inserts are soft enough to compress, and if your spring rate is soft enough to compress all the way while articulating it's way too soft for running desert or fast running to the trails.

the way i was running them failed. for one i didnt end up using the acos because they gave me more lift than i desired, even at their lowest setting with stock coils (my coil buckets are raised 2") they worked nice for running through the fast stuff, but as soon as I flexed the coil would either pull the bumpstops down with it, or the bumpstops would hold the coil up making them fall out (havent had coil retainers in years)

I was just cycling my suspension outside and due to my radius arm my coil buckets angle forward pretty severely at full droop, mounting them hard to the bottom would likely catch my coil and mangle these things.

gonna make up some coil retainers and make a bolt on plate for the top bumpstop tower and see how they work (much like goatman described)

Time to bring this thread back from the dead. :D

Looking for bumpstops for my ZJ and I think I'd like to run the prothanes on all four corners. Before I order them I'd like to measure what lengths I need so I don't have to pay for the long ones only to cut them down.

Based on what I've read, 2.5" air gap is what I want. Should I really need to account for shock length, travel, etc.? Or can I make the math simple and measure from stock bumpstop to coil bucket at ride height, subtract 2.5", and go with that?

Basically does the term "air gap" simply refer to distance between top of prothane and landing surface, when measured at ride height?

So far liking mine!! I had a 2-1/2 inch ish air gap, but the jeep has for one reason or another lost an inch and a hair. I have the longest ones in there and I cut the bumps and mount right off and made my own bump pad out of tubing and some 3/16 plate for the prothanes to bump up to. I can really hammer the whoops hard, drop ledges, or do just dumb stuff without bottoming my shocks out. At absolute full stuff all twisted up and hanging off a limiting strap I have about 1/2 inch shock travel left. So they, so far have done their job!! I'll need to find some bigger coils next year I think!

I don't have them yet, but from what I've read these things compress about 40%. So my plan is to chose them based on fully compressed height (60% of uncompressed), and as long as the air gap is greater than 0 it should be fine. I'm not ever sure that an air gap less than 0 (pre-load) would be a bad.

Back