• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "WTFWIT"

XJ&CHZ4ME

NAXJA Forum User
So, this project is finally coming to an end so I thought I would throw the pics in a thread to show the progress. I, like so many others, have been battling rust in the rockers since I bought my rig. I did some not so fancy body work at one point just to have the rust come back again. I had ran the Rough Country sliders for a season and then scored a deal on some JCR stage 2 sliders and while this protected my rusty rockers but did not fix the rust. I decided one afternoon after browsing the advanced fab forum that it was time to tackle this project. My only regret is that I did not run the new rocker/slider under the remaining front fender, but oh well, it has not been an issue yet. This is what I started with on the passenger side:
DSC01705.jpg

and on the drivers side the slider actually pused up into the rocker causing this damage
DSC01704.jpg

next I cut out the rockers (note all the dirt on the ground that came out of the rocker)
DSC01707.jpg

Next was time to cut and fit the new 2x5 rockers
DSC01751.jpg

I tapered the back side in case of a clearence issue or if I wanted to go w/ larger tires in the future (yes, I did trim the piece of sheetmetal from the body to match the angle of the slider)
DSC01752.jpg

I did not take any close up pics as of yet of the final install. I do have this one of the sliders installed and painted and they have worked great. I am going to install a brace/support from the sliders to the unibody rail for added strength due to the repaired rust spots in my floor boards being a spot of weakness.

Last pic of them installed
DSC01811.jpg

When I got done w/ the slider project I got a wild hair and thought that I could build my own set of tail light boxes, so I did. It was a project that I messed around with off and on for about 2-3 weeks and I finally got them done and installed yesterday. Here are the current pics as well as a few build pics.

all guess work and cardboard cut outs/templates
DSC01947.jpg

My welds suck and are not pretty, but they held well enough that they passed the smack it with a hammer test :D I welded both inside and outside and focused on the appearence of the outside and not at all about the inside as most can see :D
DSC01948.jpg

final product
DSC02053.jpg

DSC02051.jpg

note the nacho machine in the background :chef:

I think they turned out pretty good for a first time project. Not shown in the pics is where I double walled the outter piece of steel and plug weleded the two pieces together as well as making a few recessions along the inner piece for more welding surfaces and points of penetration. It is probably mass overkill, but seemed like a good idea at the time.

Cheeseman-OUT!

Last edited:
Thanks Jake, the nacho machine is kind of like "Waldo" in the "Wheres Waldo" photos :D

tyler, did you get my money?

looks good, I did that with my trail rig (rockers), I'm gonna have to do it to my dd someday when the rust comes back through the bondo.

Great work! I dread the day I have to do the same. The new rust under on my rockers has bubbled up some of the bedlining. I should see if i can seal the inside so mud and water cant get in.

Dan, sure did. Will try and get it shipped out tomorrow morning. I think the post office is closed today for Columbus Day....damn governmnet workers :D

Speaking of that, I am glad I have the day off, I am going to head to the shop and put on my new front Teraflex diff cover :thumbup:

nice! the tail light boxes look great!

ME NEXT! :laugh3:

find a weekend this winter when there is not shit going on and come up. We could whip out a set in a long afternoon I believe. I have not built a set of 97-up ones yet, they may take a little longer. If your rig is a 96-down, I have the patterns off of these and it would not take as long.

find a weekend this winter when there is not shit going on and come up. We could whip out a set in a long afternoon I believe. I have not built a set of 97-up ones yet, they may take a little longer. If your rig is a 96-down, I have the patterns off of these and it would not take as long.

for sure! im free when your free.
my heep is a 98.
how long did it take you to do those rockers? thats something thats been on my mind since i lifted mine. i dunno whether to go jcr or just cut them out and do what you did.

those welds look like ass.

:laugh:

just joking......good job Cheesedude!

BOB

for sure! im free when your free.
my heep is a 98.
how long did it take you to do those rockers? thats something thats been on my mind since i lifted mine. i dunno whether to go jcr or just cut them out and do what you did.

The rockers were easy, just measured them off and cut them out and the steel was only a few cuts and then ready to mock into place. I just stitch welded into place and brought them to a local welding buddy and he did the final welding of the rockers since it consisted of welding to sheet metal and I kept burning through it. I am not a good welder by any means, but I am learing on a shitty 110V flux core wire welder.

those welds look like ass.

:laugh:

just joking......good job Cheesedude!

BOB

no your not, and I understand that they really are some ugly bubble gum looking welds :D Thanks for the compliment though BOB. ;) Once installed they look fine, but during the initial process...WOW, they really looked like crap!

lol i welded once with my neighbors harbor freight cheapo welder, and they wouldnt even hold. so i pretty much suck at that.

other subject, sharing my excitement (sorry for threadjack) but i got pissed that my sunroof hasnt worked since i bought the jeep, and it started to leak. so today i ripped everything out and rewired the whole thing and now i have a working sunroof! :yelclap: its good to have a working sunroof again. i have to seal it with something tomorrow so it will stop leaking.

Thanks Andy. I will be coming up one day for sure...mud or no mud I have some redemption to do :D I was planning on coming up Saturday, but now it sounds like Collin, Dustin, Colmean, Paul and maybe others are coming up Sunday, so I might come up Sunday instead...maybe both days, but that would be pushing it with Momma I am betting :D

Back