• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Dead Reckoning

Biohazed

NAXJA Forum User
OK This is the catchup Thread for my Build so far ..I Realize it is not as extreme as some of them out there but who knows as things go on.

Just Like every story there has to be a Beginning and here it is.Lets Start a few years ago.. I had a stock 1995 Chevrolet Blazer which I would do really mean things to like this:
HPNX0406.jpg

However wanted something more capable so I got my hands on my first XJ .. a '93 Sport
PICT0002-1.jpg

Thing was beyond a rot pile so I got rid of it for a almost as rusty K5
Photo-0062.jpg

So I was thinking I should get a Car... Only need one 4x4 so got rid of the the Blazer and bought this and modded it ... 2000 Grand Prix GT
PICT0114-2.jpg

After that the K5 got stolen ... now I'm without a 4x4...
But as things progress I was having fun with the GP and the wife need a car ... and I wanted a GTP so I de-modded the GT and gave it to her and got a GTP
PICT0144.jpg

Anyway spent a ton of money modding it and blew the trans .... yay.. now I was car-less so I got a 2000 Saturn LS1. Due to the amount it would cost to get the GTP to were I wanted it I decided to call it quits on the GTP... so thats when I decided I really wanted another Off-roader. SO I started looking for a New 4x4 on Craigslist and was bouncing back and forth between a Cherokee and a S10 Blazer. So now its the end of August Stumbled upon a 1990 Cherokee Limited listed for $1600. Went to go look at it and it had a nasty little problem with the Serp belt skipping a rib @ the Harmonic Balancer and was shredding belts... so I spent a few hours looking at it and figures out the bearing in the waterpump was shot.. that and a ABS light I got it for $1100 and the P.O. even used his A.A.A. and had it towed to my house for no additional charge!

So After a Water Pump, Thermostat, Serp Belt and a Radiator. I could finally run it. Drove it to work and it ran decent had a Nasty shake at 55 and the tires and really REALLY bad Dry rot.

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

So did some basic Service and minor check outs didn't have alot of time so I just onced over it.

Took it home did a few minor things to it.
First thing I did was to replace the missing fogs with a set of Lights I already had from my '95 Blazer
IMAG0113.jpg

Next came more leftovers from the Blazer ... Cobra 29 NW WX ST and Antenna .... new bracket though
IMAG0235.jpg

Now its time to start Spending money ... but hard to do when you don't have any ... so I started to part out the GTP .... First came a set of Rims off of CL..4 ProComp Alloys 16x8 off of a Wrangler for $75:
IMAG0120.jpg

In between I order a Light Bar from Quadratec and got 4 Hella Comet 550's Mopar JK Lights and installed the Light bar .. still needs to be wired at this point just wanted to not have it sitting in the House as the wife gets mad when I junk up the Dining room with auto parts. then on eBay I got a ARB Knock off snorkel.

Also decided that Tape decks suck and put in a older Pioneer Head unit and a Inclinometer.
IMAG0132.jpg

Next came the Lift ... Got a 3" Rough Country Lift with LCA's Boots and U-Bolts from Jeeperz4wd.com ... which those guys gave me a great deal and are awesome to deal with. Finally Got a set of Goodrich All Terrains off a friend who scrapped a F-250 for free who now I was ready to do the Lift.
At the Time of doing the Lift I did the Fron Rotors and Pads and as I did the lift found the shake ... bad Sway bar to Body bushings and bad end links so I replaced those at that point as well... And quite a few hours of work on the lift at work the Lift was done...

IMAG0145.jpg

Never been offroaded ... I call BS on that... check the mud caked on the rotor....

IMAG0146.jpg

Final Product .. now it looks like something

Still need to take pics of this but replaced the Diff covers with ones from Solid Axle Industries ... so no more leaky rubber plug.

The last few Weeks been dealing with some leaks and other issues, build a battery hold down and replaced the Battery Tray. Replaced the Door speakers and tailgate speakers ... and scored a Soundbar from a local JY. (no speakers... not installed yet. SO I start getting a Brake light on to accompany the ABS light .... and when you shut it off it back-logs Brake fluid to the point its leaks past the cap... yay for Airbound brake systems ... so as I adventure more into it I noticed that it had a brake line replaced so maybe it wasn't bled right? well last night actually I borrowed the pressure bleeder and was gonna re-bleed the system .... start checking the bleeder to make sure they would move and discovered whoever worked on it snapped off both rear bleeders .... so at this point I know it couldn't of been bled at all let alone properly .... so now it sits till this weekend so I can get some new Wheel cylinders and brake line and stuff...

I hope it will be.

It will never be done though ... lol my projects keep going forever and ever lol

on that note have the front bumper on order, its a used Olympic Winch Bumper with reinforcement brackets. just waiting for it to get here lol

Last edited:
given that had ABS I'm willing to bet it has a Dana35? if yes get rid of that junk! and ..I wouldn't worry about ABS at all, it sucks and when you get a better rear you wont have ABS anymore. I took all the fuses out of my ABS system and got rid of the wires when I put a 44 in and my brakes work perfect!

given that had ABS I'm willing to bet it has a Dana35? if yes get rid of that junk! and ..I wouldn't worry about ABS at all, it sucks and when you get a better rear you wont have ABS anymore. I took all the fuses out of my ABS system and got rid of the wires when I put a 44 in and my brakes work perfect!
Yes, if it had ABS, the only axle it could come with was a D35. What is way more important than changing out that D35, is changing out the Bendix ABS system that is present on his Jeep.

On the contrary, I would worry about the ABS. Judging from your profile, you have a '96 xj? The reason why you had good brakes and were able to pull the fuses and still maintain brake functionality is you have a completely different system than he does. You have a dual diaphragm booster and master cylinder, with a separate ABS module that will default to an open system system when it has no power (i.e. it will not modulate the brakes if your tires slip, but will maintain open pathways so that fluid pressure can reach each brake). On a '91 and earlier ABS system, there is an electric pump that feeds high pressure gas to the integrated master cylinder/modulator to push the fluid through the lines. This unit fails at the drop of a dime, has poor braking characteristics even when it is working properly, and will lose almost all functionality if it has no power going to it (no power means no pump, which means no pressure).

OP, do a search for bendix brake upgrades using either a dual diaphragm booster from a '95-'96 XJ or a WJ booster to have better and safer brakes. I have a '91 Briarwood that had the Bendix setup, and have service invoices from a Jeep dealer provided by the previous owner that it was a brand new unit replaced 2 years prior to my purchase. Every once and a while it would have a really stiff pedal and only give brake power to one side of the Jeep, pulling hard, up until the time it failed just sitting in my driveway.

Last edited:
The last few Weeks been dealing with some leaks and other issues, build a battery hold down and replaced the Battery Tray. Replaced the Door speakers and tailgate speakers ... and scored a Soundbar from a local JY. (no speakers... not installed yet. SO I start getting a Brake light on to accompany the ABS light .... and when you shut it off it back-logs Brake fluid to the point its leaks past the cap... yay for Airbound brake systems ... so as I adventure more into it I noticed that it had a brake line replaced so maybe it wasn't bled right? well last night actually I borrowed the pressure bleeder and was gonna re-bleed the system .... start checking the bleeder to make sure they would move and discovered whoever worked on it snapped off both rear bleeders .... so at this point I know it couldn't of been bled at all let alone properly .... so now it sits till this weekend so I can get some new Wheel cylinders and brake line and stuff...

Be sure to pump your brake pedal numerous times to release the pressure on the system before you open any lines. I can't remember the exact number, but I believe my FSM says 70 (yes 70) times to pump it to relieve pressure, as it is a high pressure system.

While you are doing the repair, see my post above about replacing the bendix system. I haven't looked at my FSM for a little, but I think you need a special Jeep scan tool to modulate the ABS to properly bleed the system.

Yeah I am definatly plannning on loosing the ABS system it is just plain horrible to say the least... right now I just want to get it operating again and then I'm gonna try to find a write up on getting rid of that system and getting a normal and safe system in it ... lol

OK today was eventful but didn't get as much done as I wanted .... however I started the removal of the Bendix 9 ABS system.

IMAG0238.jpg

Starting pic

IMAG0240.jpg

Donor Master Cylinder and Brake booster out of a 1996 Cherokee..

First thing I went after the pump .... Which is located under the Coolant res bracket.

IMAG0241.jpg

after that was out I got all the crossovers from the pump to ABS manifold out of the truck.

Then it was time to get the Master Cylinder, and ABS Manifold out:
IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

Would of been really easy to do the DS shock lol but they are new lol

IMAG0243.jpg

Had to do some modifications to the pushrod of the new booster to accept the bushing for the stoplight switch and had to flatten out the end.

No more pics but mounted up the booster and Master Cylinder tightened up the 4 bolts and hooked the brake pedal back up ... and started to connect lines .... It got dark and I still have one line to do and need to put the air cleaner and washer bottle back in... then I have to replace the rear wheel cylinders and then hopefully will be ready to bleed the system ...

well due to work I got the Jeep back together last weekend and had to do a few tweaks this weekend, still have no washer bottle at the moment though ... How ever took the Jeep to the Jeep in the Vineyard Show and did a spot of offroading afterwards with the rest of the Tri State Mudcats ... however on the downside developed a bad oil leak that is pouring down the pass side of the block, looks like the Valve cover so that will get fixed this week. however some pics:

385450_2611316213026_1558639040_2806724_2024579053_n.jpg

392875_2611322493183_1558639040_2806755_364201933_n.jpg

390394_2611323453207_1558639040_2806760_836129461_n.jpg

390452_2611324333229_1558639040_2806764_417612797_n.jpg

314496_2611324653237_1558639040_2806766_1642295040_n.jpg

301384_2611324973245_1558639040_2806769_1744177633_n.jpg

they probably are looking at your wheel well spacing. plus you do have some rake.

OK Update:

Did the valve Cover Gasket and painted the Valve cover. I also swapped the Radio for a Alpine:

IMAG0373.jpg

IMAG0377.jpg

Next I had a break down... bad fuel leak from #6 Injector so it was time to change out the injectors:

IMAG0376.jpg

Now everything is fine again and today decided to do some mod work to it: First installed my Snorkel:

IMAG0381.jpg

Then swapped out my mirrors for the 97+ ones I picked up on here:

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0389.jpg

and finally installed the Rugged Ridge Cup Holders:

IMAG0388.jpg

Jeeps coming along nice. I was at Jeeps in the Vineyard as well. Was a good turnout. The red XJ on the start of the Modified lineup. I just exploded my rear diff today out wheelin, lol No big deal, doing an upgrade anyhow, just a little sooner now.

I'm hopefully wheeling tomorrow .... just happy I got the snorkel done finally

well... had some fun today with her today, in fact just got home from it. Here are some pics:

IMAG0401.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

388231_315527238458285_100000030345236_1356187_2022129288_n.jpg

390136_315527275124948_100000030345236_1356188_1765249103_n.jpg

IMG231.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

384836_315527588458250_100000030345236_1356199_476210057_n.jpg

388371_315527605124915_100000030345236_1356200_983636830_n.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

389440_315528081791534_100000030345236_1356216_1071957168_n.jpg

IMAG0417.jpg

Last edited:
Monday got the Winch Bumper Installed ... had to do some straightening first of the bumper though but here are some pics of the finished product:

IMAG0427.jpg

IMAG0428.jpg

Man, that thing's lookin' pretty good now. Next time you blast through a mud hole, don't worry about washing the heep, just let it dry real good, so it adds a little tint to the white paint:laugh3:

lol I try to keep it clean so it doesn't rot away as quickly .... I wanna keep it for a while. Got a long way until i get it were I want ... lol

Small Things done tonight got the JKS quicker Disco's and Steering stabilizer installed

IMAG0429.jpg

Back