• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible Stupid Question

rjstiles

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,

Here goes....Could someone tell me more about "Gilmer"?

I know it is up near Big Sandy but I was wondering when, what area, etc?

Thank you for the info

Ron

Gilmer Texas was named after some dude and in Upsur County... also named after some dude... I think they were both in the military or some thing. Its a small town... so small that even O'reilly Auto Parts is closed on Sunday. But they do have a Wal-Mart and I hear rumours of a McDonalds... but I have never seen it myself.

That work for you?? LMAO

Gilmer Texas was named after some dude and in Upsur County... also named after some dude... I think they were both in the military or some thing. Its a small town... so small that even O'reilly Auto Parts is closed on Sunday. But they do have a Wal-Mart and I hear rumours of a McDonalds... but I have never seen it myself.

That work for you?? LMAO

Hahaha good answer!

Is there some kind of organized XJ event up there or is it just a place to go on your own?

The Rides of March takes place there....I'm not sure I'd say that anything we do is very organized though.......

OMG... trust me this year it will be. I have already put enought time into it. I am sure there will be little hick ups here and there.

I am sure this is what you are looking for rj:

barnwellmountainra.com

Thats the only good thing I know of in Gilmer.

Howdy,

Here goes....Could someone tell me more about "Gilmer"?

I know it is up near Big Sandy but I was wondering when, what area, etc?

Thank you for the info

Ron

Since the rest of the crowd gave rather crappy info, here ya go:

The city of Gilmer is a small town about 2 hours east of the DFW metroplex. It's a bump in the road in the middle of nowhere that most people would never know existed. However, it's also home to the Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area, which is the first official offroad park sponsored by the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition. Barnwell Mountain is a red-dirt off-road park with trails for bikes, ATV's and FSV's. As the Red River Chapter covers a vast area, we have chosen Barnwell Mountain as our semi-official home for the Annual Rides of March. This was done in a effort to centralize the event and bring in as many members as possible.

The First Annual Rides of March was actually held in Hot Springs, AR at the Superlift ORV park, and included some guided trail rides, a pork tenderloin BBQ and a fairly large raffle giveaway.

The Second Annual Rides of March was moved to Barnwell Mountain and was a smaller affair, mostly due to economic conditions. However, our leadership managed to snag some fairly nice giveaway items anyway. We also had great fun with a chili cookoff, though there were some bruised feelings over the crushing defeat of certain chilis. ;)

The Third Annual Rides of March is shaping up to be a MUCH bigger affair with concessions, a huge chili cookoff, the Chia-Speed event, and more. Their will be a cover charge (that includes lots of goodies) but it's going to be WELL worth it and I hope we see some big numbers next year.

Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, the event is held every March and the name is a Shakespeare reference. I'm personally fond of the irony of an offroad club composed of semi-literate rednecks referencing Shakespeare, myself. :)

Hope that covered all the questions.

Official City Website
Barnwell Mountain Website
TMTC Website

Well sorry I didn't have the time to post all of that. I am trying to take care of some kids also.

But I wasn't joking about where the names came from.

Well sorry I didn't have the time to post all of that. I am trying to take care of some kids also.

But I wasn't joking about where the names came from.

Quit you're whinin, ya little girl.

Per the official City website:

Gilmer said:
Upshur County was organized by an act of the Texas Legislature on July 13, 1846. The legislature deemed that the county should be named Upshur and requested that the county seat be named Gilmer. Abel Parker Upshur was born in Virginia in 1791. President John Tyler appointed him Secretary of the Navy in 1841 and in 1843; he succeeded Daniel Webster as Secretary of State.

Thomas W. Gilmer was born inVirginia in 1802. In 1844, President John Tyler appointed him Secretary of the Navy. Both Able Parker Upshur and Thomas W. Gilmer were killed on the Navy war cruiser “Princeton” on February 28, 1844.

That work for you?? LMAO

WTF???? They have a Jack in the Box there bro.... thats 10 times better than McDonalds, and we don't even have one of those here in Texarkana.

See Kendrik... I was right. The Navy... yeah thats it.

and I didn't see the Jack in the Box there either

I am not a semi-illiterate redneck. I came up with the name. I also happen to be a fan of Shakespeare.

Who invited the semi-illiterate redneck back???? :looser:

Places to eat in Gilmer, TX

P.S. You guys really need to learn the art of the Google.

I know the art of google... how else do you think I knew about their names... It's just been alone time.

Plus I knew some one more anal than me would post that stuff up...

:wave1: HI KENDRIK

I know the art of google... how else do you think I knew about their names... It's just been alone time.

Plus I knew some one more anal than me would post that stuff up...

:wave1: HI KENDRIK

Oh, sorry...didn't notice this post. I was busy spell-checking the internet.

yeah I am trying to learn how to type without looking... yeah my fingers slipped...

Since the rest of the crowd gave rather crappy info, here ya go:

The city of Gilmer is a small town about 2 hours east of the DFW metroplex. It's a bump in the road in the middle of nowhere that most people would never know existed. However, it's also home to the Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area, which is the first official offroad park sponsored by the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition. Barnwell Mountain is a red-dirt off-road park with trails for bikes, ATV's and FSV's. As the Red River Chapter covers a vast area, we have chosen Barnwell Mountain as our semi-official home for the Annual Rides of March. This was done in a effort to centralize the event and bring in as many members as possible.

The First Annual Rides of March was actually held in Hot Springs, AR at the Superlift ORV park, and included some guided trail rides, a pork tenderloin BBQ and a fairly large raffle giveaway.

The Second Annual Rides of March was moved to Barnwell Mountain and was a smaller affair, mostly due to economic conditions. However, our leadership managed to snag some fairly nice giveaway items anyway. We also had great fun with a chili cookoff, though there were some bruised feelings over the crushing defeat of certain chilis. ;)

The Third Annual Rides of March is shaping up to be a MUCH bigger affair with concessions, a huge chili cookoff, the Chia-Speed event, and more. Their will be a cover charge (that includes lots of goodies) but it's going to be WELL worth it and I hope we see some big numbers next year.

Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, the event is held every March and the name is a Shakespeare reference. I'm personally fond of the irony of an offroad club composed of semi-literate rednecks referencing Shakespeare, myself. :)

Hope that covered all the questions.

Official City Website
Barnwell Mountain Website
TMTC Website

Sounds like fun, do you have dates for the 2010 event. i should be fairly well healed from my wreck and my XJ shoulld have my first round of mods done by then.
The Chili cook-off sounds fun as well, how can we sign up to compete!

Thank you so much for the good info

Ron

The RoM 2010 will be Friday, March 19th to Sunday March 21st.

I am working on the sign up and all the other details as we speak. Everything should be... better be done by the Fall Run so when everyone gets back from that, they can start pre-registration and receiving their goodies (t-shirts and stickers).

So what is there going to be to eat?

Back