• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

position sensitive shocks

alek21

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have any experience/thoughts on these? i have the chance at a good deal on a pair of these. they are fox 12" resi. i asked him what they are and he said they have an internal adjuster or something that automatically adjusts to the valving needed depending on what kind of terrain they are going over. any thoughts or advice?

internally adjustable? as in, you can re-valve them?

-or-

externally adjustable? as in, the little click wheel valving adjuster...

my fox 2.0's are great valved statically, when i can afford dynamic valving, the only way to go is external bypass shocks, which are a major investment.

anyone have any experience/thoughts on these? i have the chance at a good deal on a pair of these. they are fox 12" resi. i asked him what they are and he said they have an internal adjuster or something that automatically adjusts to the valving needed depending on what kind of terrain they are going over. any thoughts or advice?

They are basicly an internal bypass shock with bleed holes inside the can.They get stiffer as the shock compresses,hence position sensitive.You can vavle them for any application.You will need a minimum 4 1/2" lift for 12" Fox shocks in the front.

also, the rdc post lists them as 10's --if those are the same shocks--

i think i'd rather stick with the proven static valving... OR pay up for the ext-bypasses....
ive never setup a set of bypasses... but i'd hate to open up --and recharge-- 4 shocks everytime you wanted to make an adjustment.

also, the rdc post lists them as 10's --if those are the same shocks--

i think i'd rather stick with the proven static valving... OR pay up for the ext-bypasses....
ive never setup a set of bypasses... but i'd hate to open up --and recharge-- 4 shocks everytime you wanted to make an adjustment.

I forgot to add they are not,I repeat not automaticly adjustable!!!!

Are we sure he's talking about a bypass shock? Ignoring the title of this thread, the above description could be just a regular monotube shock with a sort of description of the how the valve stacks work.

Are we sure he's talking about a bypass shock? Ignoring the title of this thread, the above description could be just a regular monotube shock with a sort of description of the how the valve stacks work.

To me, that would suggest more of a velocity sensitive shock rather than position?? I think you should call Fox and find out what they are, and how they work before you drop your coin.

Yeah, it's easy to ask what series shock it is.

Based on this very quasi-knowledgeable description from a guy trying to sell some shocks:

.......he said they have an internal adjuster or something that automatically adjusts to the valving needed depending on what kind of terrain they are going over.

This could simply be ordinary shock valving. If you ignore the thread title. Most likely is a standard 2" Fox reservoir shock.

This could simply be ordinary shock valving. If you ignore the thread title. Most likely is a standard 2" Fox reservoir shock.

he did post a pic... and it is something i have never seen before....
im no expert, but i DO have the fox catalog sitting on top of my toilet...

thanks guys, ill call and ask him for a model number.

xcm you wanna take a looky in your catalog? :D

thats why i questioned it... i spend quite a bit of time looking at the differant shocks available, but ive never seen a shock like that from fox...

again... im not an expert, so maybe they dont list it for some reason?

Damn, I never looked at the picture. :)

Fox makes a 2.5" internal by-pass shock in a coilover version that's piggyback with a 7/8" shaft.

The shock in the picture looks like there could be some kind of added cooling cylinder over a 2" non-coilover reservoir shock. It still has a 5/8" shaft, which really narrows it down.

Interesting to see what the guy says it is.

well i emailed and called the guy, no response yet... but i found a sweet deal on some 12" king smooth body resi shocks. said they were on the front of something, then he put em on the rear of his tacoma.. i guess i will try em out and see how they feel, but incase i need to re valve them anyone know how much that runs?

well i emailed and called the guy, no response yet... but i found a sweet deal on some 12" king smooth body resi shocks. said they were on the front of something, then he put em on the rear of his tacoma.. i guess i will try em out and see how they feel, but incase i need to re valve them anyone know how much that runs?

I've paid $50-65 per shock, before I learned how to do them myself. I'm assuming they're for your front, if they've been valved for the rear of a Tacoma they should be too soft for you.

Back