• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please share photos of your cargo area.

looks pretty great to me.
what can you tell us about that air tank?

Purchased this air tank for $25 about 5 years ago from a mini truck company in Arizona.
Removed the factory spare tire and lower support then mounted this 3.5 gallon pancake air tank in its place.
I have 3/8" line going behind the side panels to a ViaAir 400 under the drivers seat. Wired in a pressure switch to start and stop the compressor.
This setup serves as an air source for a D30 ARB and airing up the tires.

heres mine.
SAM_0004.jpg

SAM_0005.jpg

SAM_0008.jpg

SAM_0009.jpg

SAM_0010.jpg

Is there anybody selling anything like those rear cargo shelf frame deals that some of you guys are fabbing up??

I have no welder and very little in welding skills in the first place.

maybe someone from your chapter will be willing to help you out

if i thought there might be a market for it i'd make a jig and sell them for a reasonable price.

Dude ... genius, that's all I can say. I like that. Bet you sleep back there too, huh? Very nice work. Now you're giving me ideas ...

Thanks, it is useful having all that space back there now. And no, I always bring my tent for sleeping.

standard.jpg

With the cargo rack I installed the 2" box steel at the base gives me 7.5" of clearance otherwise there would be 9.5" of clearance between the rail of the cargo rack and the interior trim.
There should be enough clearance for a stock tire, but not much more.

im willing to bet that it will fit underneath it. but jesus 206 for a rack that cost's less than 40 bucks to build... i may have to start making racks for the xj community. i'll have to get a better mig welder first thou!

A spare tire will certainly fit beneath, but you lose alot of storage area.
I looked into building a cargo rack from using scrap metal from a local yard, but trying save weight I looked into using aluminum and I was shocked at how much the scrap metal was.
Received this cargo rack as a birthday present so I gave up the idea of building one.

A spare tire will certainly fit beneath, but you lose alot of storage area.
I looked into building a cargo rack from using scrap metal from a local yard, but trying save weight I looked into using aluminum and I was shocked at how much the scrap metal was.
Received this cargo rack as a birthday present so I gave up the idea of building one.

i built my cargo rack out of 5/8 tubing, it was 7 dollars per 20 foot stick, so i bought 60 feet, gave him a 20 (yes 7x3=21 but he accepted 20) spent 3 days on it measuring/fabbing/building/painting and i think it was 4 dollars for 100 ft of rope at harbor freight. that 5/8 tubing is super light, and pretty strong too i think my whole rack weighs less than 25 lbs

jeep oriented gifts are the best kind of b-day gifts =)

I just finished up a new box for my cargo area. It is made out of 3/4" plywood. I first painted it all with Duplicolor bed liner, then I went over part of it with exterior house paint that was color matched to my interior color.

DSC08185.jpg

DSC08186.jpg

DSC08187.jpg

DSC08188.jpg

DSC08189.jpg

^^ those are some fancy handles!

I have my 2.5 gallon air tank right behind the rear seat, and an olympic basket right in front of that. not a whole lot a free space left, but I usually just throw bags or whatever on top of everything or fold down the rear seat.

I'll bring back an old thread...

This is a drawer made by a company called TruckVault. It was built to specifically fit the XJ. They make them for all sorts of SUVs.

I got this one used off a guy on Craigslist for $100. When I opened it up, there was a Teraflex 1 1/2 inch lift kit in it (coil spacers and rear axle shackles!)

The part on the far left, where the fire extinguisher is mounted is a lift door to access that little indent in the side molding. Just large enough to keep a pair of gloves, jumper cables, and a funnel.

It didn't come with the cargo net. I had an extra from a ZJ and just screwed 4 OEM tie down brackets from a wrecked XJ.

101_0631.jpg

Cottontail: Pretty sweet setup. How is it to get the spare tire out?

Really easy. Just unscrew it, tilt the top down and it lays down on the box and lifts out....60 second job.

I keep the spare on the roof when I have my 31" MTs on and just use 4x4 blocks where the factory spare sits to brace the box and keep it from moving.

I love the box. It has a combination lock on it and stores a lot of stuff.

The guy I bought it from has another for sale, brand new in the box. He ordered one for a WJ and they sent him one for an XJ. When we tried to correct it, they told him to keep the XJ box anyway....

Man, you stole that thing, truck vaults are huge money.

Back