• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please share photos of your cargo area.

Updated.
DSCN5478.jpg

DSCN5474.jpg

What thickness of plywood are you guys all using? I was thinking 5/8...

Anyone have any regrets over what they used? I'm just worried I'll go too thin and find myself wanting to redo the whole thing. On the flip side, I don't want to be hauling an extra 200lbs of plywood that I don't have to.

Mine (link here) is all 1/2", and I think it was about perfect. I did go kinda heavy on the wood screws, and the way it's set up, it's all fully boxed for strength, so that helped, I'm sure.

The only thing I might do different is to use a glossy paint for easier cleanup.

It's hard to scrub mud off of flat black plywood.

Robert

Not to mention it will warp if it gets wet like the box I used to have..... warped so bad popped some of the screws out.Made a pretty bon fire while camping one night.So glad I got rid of all that weight!!

I finally got time to photo my back with most of the stuff out. The net came from surplus center and was less then $20 delivered. I used scrap 2x2 and 1x1 for the mount. I really like it and it holds everything down well. I use a 2" racchet strapp on the back side for easy quick access. Enjoy!

12012009004.jpg

12012009005.jpg

12012009006.jpg

It's missing some stuff but you get the idea. When I hit te trails and its all loaded back up I'll shoot another picture and update it.

Not a box but a removable rack made from 1in 0.065 square tubing. Once I place the tire on the bumper I'll probablly make half into a box with drawer.

xjrack2010kw5.jpg

wow... some of yall carry alot of extra weight... cant imagine how heavy some of the jeeps are...

wow... some of yall carry alot of extra weight... cant imagine how heavy some of the jeeps are...

Maybe when I am rolling 35's I will need to pull the doors off in order to to merge onto the freeway. I think there are a couple of clearly defined types of rigs on this site. I have AC, power locks, inverter and organized storage for any and most oh shits. But then again, I don't trailer my rig to the trail.

my storage area now consist's of 2 fold up chairs, a tool box in case i break down, an air pump in case of a flat and a flash light in case its dark when it breaks... and the chairs can also be used for the passengers to sit in while i fix it =) thankfully i havent had to do any road size work but you always gotta be prepared =)

Mine will be for driving around town and for camping. I have to carry all my tools with me almost everyday (hand tools, socket set, and cordless set) and a handful of spare parts so I'd rather have it all organized and secure (in case of a roll over or something) and I'll carry the extra weight of a box if it means I'll be a little safer for me and my passengers on the road.

Custom package tray, plywood and vinyl. Makes a great place to hide the hi-lift jack, and any "valuables."
SANY0035.jpg

trunk.jpg

Maybe when I am rolling 35's I will need to pull the doors off in order to to merge onto the freeway. I think there are a couple of clearly defined types of rigs on this site. I have AC, power locks, inverter and organized storage for any and most oh shits. But then again, I don't trailer my rig to the trail.
for riding in a jeep offroading that is not trailered is understandable. but carrying your ENTIRE garage is a little overkill IMO you only need necessary stuff...i mean honestly are you gonna need to change out a motor or put a lift kit on in the woods? haha

on the other hand i guess its one of those things where if you take the tool/part you wont need it. but if you leave it behind then you will need it.

only think i carry in my jeep is tow strap, snatch block, BFH, vise grips, zip ties and jumper cables. everything else i leave in my suburban tow rig
happyfinger.gif

carry on:spin1:

That looks like the cheapo interlocking foam garage flooring on your cargo bed? How do you have that secured or did you just cut to fit?

:thumbup:

That sir, is a brilliant idea. I've got two packs of the stuff that I'm going to put to good use. I don't use it on the floor of the garage, too many leaks on the Jeep and can't roll a creeper on it worth a damn.

Custom package tray, plywood and vinyl. Makes a great place to hide the hi-lift jack, and any "valuables."
SANY0035.jpg

trunk.jpg

Hello To All. I was looking through all the cargo area pictures and saw that a lot of people carry a speaker in the back. Since I also want at least a 12 in the back of mine I have been thinking of some ideas. One was using a cargo rack and mounting a box under that. They make shallow subs that have a depth from 2.5" to 5" so I was basing my idea on that.
I have a design that I made and was wondering if you guys could post your opinions on it. All sorts of feedback are welcome, any modifications to it, etc.
Clipboard01.jpg

I used 2 shallow mount subs for the box design. The rack is just a basic design. I had an idea to make one of the rack sides to fold down...make it easier to fit a tire or slide things in and out. The red lines represent the box and the blue lines are just the speakers. I figured the amp could be screwed into one of the sidewalls of the speaker box. Havent really thought of a solid way of hanging the box from the rack other than some really nice tight straps. The diamond pattern over the speakers is a kind of mesh "protection" from anything sliding out of the box and possibly damaging the speakers.
Since I didn't measure the cargo area of my XJ the back seat and floor area aren't to spec but its a general idea. Any thoughts and modifications are welcome.
Thanks,
Ruben

Hello To All. I was looking through all the cargo area pictures and saw that a lot of people carry a speaker in the back. Since I also want at least a 12 in the back of mine I have been thinking of some ideas. One was using a cargo rack and mounting a box under that. They make shallow subs that have a depth from 2.5" to 5" so I was basing my idea on that.
I have a design that I made and was wondering if you guys could post your opinions on it. All sorts of feedback are welcome, any modifications to it, etc.
Clipboard01.jpg

I used 2 shallow mount subs for the box design. The rack is just a basic design. I had an idea to make one of the rack sides to fold down...make it easier to fit a tire or slide things in and out. The red lines represent the box and the blue lines are just the speakers. I figured the amp could be screwed into one of the sidewalls of the speaker box. Havent really thought of a solid way of hanging the box from the rack other than some really nice tight straps. The diamond pattern over the speakers is a kind of mesh "protection" from anything sliding out of the box and possibly damaging the speakers.
Since I didn't measure the cargo area of my XJ the back seat and floor area aren't to spec but its a general idea. Any thoughts and modifications are welcome.
Thanks,
Ruben

ok... so i liked the idea all the way up until the height of the box...maybe im not seeing how big the overall box is but whats the point of a shallow mounting sub only to have no storage place under the subs. if it was me i'd make it L shaped and have a pull out drawer with all of your needed accessories IE sling,chain, oil etc etc. inside of it. then maybe use some long bolts and feed them thru the sub box snug em down real tight with a nut on the outside, seal em up so they dont leak and mount your high lift there. then maybe have some tie downs at each corner to hold down your other equipment, ice chest etc etc... yanno you give me ideas for myself =)... now i just need a sheet of 5/8 MDF and i can get started lol

:eek:Some of the set ups look great and some look very fatal and I see child car seats in a few of the not so safe set ups.

I had built this but I was never happy with it and I'm starting over from scratch. I'm here to get some ideas. I want to keep everything from sliding around but I don't need to carry a cooler all the time and I need to keep it easily removable. My XJ spent equal amounts of time hauling 4 people and just stuff so I need to keep the original flexibility.

rearorganizer.jpg

rearorganizer2.jpg

Got my 31 spare in the factory spot, H/L mounted ontop of rack, and a pelican case for carrying gear, and axe asc kit mounted on side. Pelican case has pull out handle and dual wheels on base for easy moving.

2uj75vb.jpg

2dr72id.jpg

2zi0n88.jpg

Back