• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Photo Chopping Software???

partsbill

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen great pics in the past about Cheromanche's that people have said were "chopped". I currently want to create some images of a vehicle of my own to decide where to chop it as well. My 93 Cherokee turned out well yet my next vehicle will be tougher. Any help on what software to use to get the easiest to use, and most capability in one package. I downloaded a trial version of Corel Paint Shop Pro X but don't think I can chop the way I envisioned it would be. Anyone willing to divulge their secrets?

Thanks
Bill

FitchVA said:

mswerd.gif

Billy

"Photo Chopping" is a plan on "Photo Shopping"

You want to familiarize your're self with Photoshop. It's what all the good ones are done with. Gimp is second best and paint shop pro sucks.

I've been using PSP since version 6, now on 10 (X). and I've used Photoshop in various version, through the latest of the CS variety. PSP rocks! admittedly, versions 8 and 9 were a little slower, but 10 rules. It's faster than PS for almost every function. I use it for a variety of editing jobs, including for weddings. no complaints from the paying customers :)

QUOTE=IslanderXJ]Here's what I think you where actually looking for:
"Paint Shop Pro Studio"
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Products/Display&pid=1047023911920
not "Corel Paint Shop Pro X"
If that doesnt work I could just send you some of my ideas that I made to give you an idea.
Sorry about the confusion,
-Jackson[/QUOTE]

Went to the site and the program wouldn't run to allow me to try it. I guess I could buy it but I'll have to think on this some more.

All I'm trying to do is:

Now don't freak out or laugh too loud so everyone will hear you;

I work at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership in the parts dept. and have aquired a mint 94 Dodge Grand Caravan in which I'm going to turn into a pickup. The photo chop is to determine how much past the B-pillar I'm going to cut and re-attach the D-pillar along with the liftgate. There's the plan....wathcha think?

What are you going to do with the the sliding door? You sure that the leafs on the back can stand up to what most people put in pickups? Why are you doing this again? Just a general reason would clear things up.
I'm sure we'll try to help you but ...uh..., why again?

-Jackson

IslanderXJ said:
What are you going to do with the the sliding door? You sure that the leafs on the back can stand up to what most people put in pickups? Why are you doing this again? Just a general reason would clear things up.
I'm sure we'll try to help you but ...uh..., why again?

-Jackson
Great question. When I made my own Cheromanche, I heard the same thing. You HAVE to have a great roll cage to wheel it in the rocks, you NEED to have this and that type of tubing and hardware for it to be stable, and I did my chop, which has survived and served my purpose in a completed version for at least a year or longer. Cost me about $250 which BTW included the matched set of 4 bucket seat for the interior.

Ever seen a 94 Grand Caravan made in to a pickup? Neither have I. Except on paper. I have @ a dozen pictures I've chopped by hand of a 96-01 van but that was done over the course of a year or so. But I couldn't pass up the van $700. Perfect shape. Drives like a dream and gets 25+ mpg.....far better than the 13 in the Jeep. 7 passenger minivan based on the average of 155lbs per person which nets out 775 lbs(5 people)in the rear of the van. This is basically a vehicle for me to drive back and forth to work and to receive weird looks from. I LIKE it!! If I need to haul weight, I'll use the Jeep and my 5x12 trailer. Think of me as the budget, redneck, pimp my ride.

The plan is: Chop the van and bring the liftgate forward with all its functions(washer, wiper, heated glass). Shave the license plate pocket and remove the handle. Also plan on bringing 1/4 rear glasses from a regular caravan forward as well along with their power openers.

The sliding door will be welded shut, the c-pillar seam filled , along with the rear support track, and the door handle shaved.

Use the spare liftgate I have to make a fitted tailgate for the vehicle. This will be the hardest part to make it strong and flush with the bed.

After re-boxing the bed area, use leftover bedliners from work and rivit bedliner material fitted to bed.

Total cost: Van ............................................................$500
parts to repair van which I've done already done
bumper cover, grille, fender................................$200
cost of all the rest...........................................$<100

I have all the parts already plus 4 spools of wire for the welder.

I'm all set except for the exact place on where to cut to bring the best look for me.

Again, Thanks

Bill

partsbill said:
Went to GIMP and I don't think I'm smart enough to use it. Can't figure out which thing to download. Thanks for trying to help

Bill
Went back, figured it out and now I'll try to learn how to do it.

Thanks

just a quick demo of what you can do with GIMP, here's a couple image edits I did to my xj...

shortened the wheelbase a bit (not gonna do it, just having fun)
ShortXJ_03.jpg

and i did this to see how my xj would look after i trimmed my fenders and relocated my stock flares

fenders trimmed using GIMP...
trimmed.jpg

flares relocated using GIMP...
flares_relocated.jpg

FitchVA said:
but it's free. and with a little practice, you cat get it to do almost as well as photoshop. ...and did i mention it's free? :D

I <3 gimp as well, I run it on my linux machines. I'm pretty good with both but I've done amazing things in photoshop that just weren't possible in gimp. I do however like gimp better for 3d rendering. Just find it a bit easier to do some things. Any great piece of art is a calaboration of many programs.

mdl said:
I <3 gimp as well, I run it on my linux machines. I'm pretty good with both but I've done amazing things in photoshop that just weren't possible in gimp. I do however like gimp better for 3d rendering. Just find it a bit easier to do some things. Any great piece of art is a calaboration of many programs.
very true. i agree that GIMP is not as good as Photoshop on many aspects. I have a photography friend that can process a photo to no end with PS and make it look 11ty billion times better than I can processing it with GIMP. I can make them look good, just not as good.

but for what the original poster wanted to do, GIMP is free so it's a no brainer.

oh, and all of my opinions are in the context of photo manipulation. i haven't done any original rendering with either piece of software.

if i had to make a scale it would be..

|---MS Paint-----------------------------------------------GIMP---Photoshop-|

Back