• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PA people - anyone ever get the Reading Anthracite access permit?

With finances this year, I'm not in a hurry to pay the 100 bucks. Maybe next year when I have completed the current plans for the XJ.

I know of some guys that go out to this area. The way it was explained to me there is so many thousands of acres you could cross over into 3 different counties. The same guy said he hasn't run into ANYone where they go and they go for the entire day. Sounds like a fairytale world for jeeps.

EDIT: Go in GOOGLE EARTH and type in READING ANTHRACITE. Click on the blue dot notations. Find one that says "Wheeling" click on the word wheeling... Veeewy intewesting.

Last edited:
i would definitely be interested in this, but i'll pony up the $$ for the permit only IF i know for sure that i'll be able to find people to go.

Hey dudes,
No longer an XJ owner but the guy that bought my XJ wheels with us and brought this thread to my attention.

I have wheeled RA land (legally), we bought the $100 passes in either 2006 or 2007, can't recall right now. You DO have to go there in person to get the permit, don't drive them nuts with phone calls all you'll achieve is encouraging them to discontinue the program. The good news is the Yuengling brewery is right down the street from RA's office, and you can take a free tour with some free brews at the end - so get some buddies and make an afternoon of it.

The land is NOT marked, they instruct you to pull county deeds, find their land, and go for it anywhere that is not marked. There are some good areas just south & east of Shamokin that locals had told us about, and we did some more exploring but never found anything too exceptional. It is fun exploring though.

The trails are a mix of fire roads, 4wheeler trails, and garbage dumping areas. There are some rocks but the trail density is much less than a "pay to play" park like Rausch. If you're close to Shamokin, I would say go for the $100 pass you'll get your money's worth out of it, especially since they are now charging $35 per trip to Rausch.

I would like to re-up this year and do more exploring, I have new GPS software and would like to make some trail maps but am not sure how we can share them without making them public. Also there might be an opportunity to do a trail cleanup or something, if we make an effort now to show RA there are "good eggs" in offroading it might help us keep access open. I'm up for it....

CR

Meant to mention, the locals told us of "the waterfall" but we never found it. vetteboy, would you consider tossing me a GPS coordinate of that in PM? Would like to check it out someday. I'll send you the location of the trails we know about -

With finances this year, I'm not in a hurry to pay the 100 bucks. Maybe next year when I have completed the current plans for the XJ.

I know of some guys that go out to this area. The way it was explained to me there is so many thousands of acres you could cross over into 3 different counties. The same guy said he hasn't run into ANYone where they go and they go for the entire day. Sounds like a fairytale world for jeeps.

EDIT: Go in GOOGLE EARTH and type in READING ANTHRACITE. Click on the blue dot notations. Find one that says "Wheeling" click on the word wheeling... Veeewy intewesting.

I'm sincerely dissapointed in this. :wantyou: to finish this gawdamn thing already so we can play

and x2 on that there inspected and insured road legal buggy :)

I'm very interested in finding out more info on this property. First I need to get a permit. Second I need to find out where to park tow rigs. I was be very interested in helping out with a clean-up day. I moved to MD from Cincinnati, OH. I'm used to going to Harlan Co. Tellico and other great places like that. Been bumped out that there is really only Rausch Creek around the region. Never went to Paragon, really bumped I never got a chance to go. If anyone is planning a trip to RA please PM me. I would like to also help anyway I can.

-Nick

From what everyone is saying (and contradicting with the pics) is that all vehicles on the property must be insured and registered, so if your towed vehicle is, then ignore me, if not I think this needs to be cleared up!

Back